Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 09:11 AM

14 posts, read 56,067 times

Advertisements

I'm the other half of VeritasMatters, so veritas (really) matters to me (heh). BTW, DWIM => Do What I Mean, FWIW. We've recently had a fiberglass pool installed and both gas & 220v 80amp electrical are at the pad. Now we're ready for the heat.

TheShadow: Your location says Placerville, CA. That where you are? If so, I can easily understand you using solar versus PG&E costs for either gas or electric.

I had seen the web site referenced for solar and saved the link; thanks.

First of all, it seems to me the value of gas is it'll heat up very quickly compared to electric (meaning a heat pump) and certainly versus solar. The value of a heat pump is that it's quite useful for maintaining water temp once it's to the desired temp. To me, solar is an augmentation to whatever you use, and more like the maintenance side of things, which is where the heat pump would be.

Putting on a good cover is a good idea and we'll do that. So I assume we'll keep the covers on during non-use. We'll need 2, one for the main pool and one for what they call the tanning ledge - about 25% the size of the main pool's surface area.

So I think I am coming to some conclusions, which I'd like to hear feedback if you please. We intend to generally keep the pool at temp all during the season, given our planned usage frequency. So, for us, gas would be useful for coming up to the desired temp earlier in the calendar and keeping it open later in the calendar. A heat pump would be best for the season itself.

The initial cost of gas is less (by 2x) than a heat pump, but we planned for the initial cost for a heat pump anyway, so if we go for gas, we're just reducing initial cost (good, but ongoing costs will overrule initial costs). The pool guy told me our initial gas cost (to heat our pool, given it's size) would be about $400. He also said ongoing costs for a heat pump (given our pool size) would be about $50-75 per month. I don't know either (a) what the ongoing cost for gas would be, or (b) the initial heat pump cost would be, so any feedback from those having either would really help.

By my estimates, it'd take 12-15 hrs to initially heat the pool with gas (to 85 from 60). I don't know how long it'd take to initially heat the pool with the heat pump (but it'd be a while). I'd appreciate of anyone has any feedback about initially heating w/a heat pump. But, given we're keeping the pool heated during the season, the initial time to startup isn't that much of an issue.

Conclusions: Assume we cover appropriately. So, I'm leaning towards a good heat pump. While the initial outlay is higher, the ongoing costs are lower (is this correct?). Once the pool is at temp, a heat pump is more efficient. If I'm using a heat pump, then solar doesn't really buy me that much. The only real value of gas (for us) is to initially heat, but that just buys me time (i.e., start sooner and end later in the calendar).

Questions: I'd be interested in feedback for the ?? I listed in my text above. I also don't know, for this area and using a heat pump, when I can expect to reasonably start heating the pool. E.g. for those who have a heat pump, just when do you expect to start heating for this season (maybe already?). And, given last year as a specific exmple, when did you actually shut off you heat pump? For gas users, similar questions. Also, for gas users: For <some size / gallons pool>, what are your monthly costs? Similar for heat pump users.

I know this is a lot of info. I really appreciate your responses thus far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 12:56 AM

812 posts, read 1,674,772 times
You might also want to look into this here, I know there was a guy in Florida who charged a fairly nominal fee for initial heating of your pool. Had a big truck with generators and pumps on it. A pretty cool setup.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:22 AM

3 posts, read 9,192 times
At my previous residence, we had a solar heater that did a very good job. We got about 3/4 extra weeks in the spring and fall. It was about $500 to install (while the pool was being installed), and was WELL worth the money as there was no additional expense. It IS a little weird to have the panels and pip going up the house, but if the installer is good, he can make is descrete. Unfortunately, my installer, Lakeshore Pools (Rutledge), was anything but reliable! Good luck. A heater is a great addition.

Eric

Old 09-10-2008, 11:24 AM

4 posts, read 11,909 times
Hey everyone!

I run my families pool shop down here in Fl and My dad is a well known builder in the area. We have been in the bussiness over 20 years. I have to say gas and electric actually heat at the same rate 3 degrees per hour and Gas will cost much more to run. Solar is great if your roof faces the south east and you have enough sun. And as far as solar blankets go they can be a pain to take off and put on but they do help toslow heat loss. You may be interested in looking into Liquid solar blanket products like the solar fish and ecosavr They work just as well as the blankets and are safe, non toxic, eco friendly, easy to use, and biodegradable.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:16 AM

1 posts, read 2,889 times
what did you end up with electric or gas heater for the pool. I am in the process of building an indoor pool. anybody have any suggestion. we are in gatlinburg tennessee.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:14 AM

14 posts, read 56,067 times
BKaya: Great question. I ended up with a gas heater, for now. I'd have rather used a geothermal heat exchange mechanism (heat pump mechanism) but that I intend to do as I replace our main house heating unit so it'll also handle the pool. But that's for when I've saved enough $$ for that project, down the way some years from now (maybe 5-7 or so). FYI, given our 10000 gallon fiberglass pool, I used a RayChem (RC) unit. It's on all the time, running from a separate gas feed (i.e., the gas company came in and added a new meter). I keep it at a minimum during the winter (50 degF, would like lower but the RC won't go lower), pump's running all the time. In the summer I set the RC temp at 86 degF which ends up w/an acceptable water temp.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:11 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,779,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
We thought that the gas heater was cheaper than the electric. Also, we opened our pool around Memorial Day and closed it around Labor Day. When's the party?
I would think that you would be able to get at least another 3-4 weeks in September before it starts to cool off at night. We used to swim from mid May until mid September at our pool when I was a kid and ours was not heated.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:17 AM

35 posts, read 143,189 times
I am in Ohio, about 35 miles southwest of Cleveland, not they hottest part of the country. I have a 27 foot round pool, above ground, like 52-54 inches deep, all I use is a solar cover. We usually have the pool open from Memorial day until a couple weeks after labor day.

I do like my water to be between 82 and 84 degrees though, maybe a little cooler than some. Multiple Sclerosis, if the water is too warm it`s not good for me. A couple different solar cover types out there, our first was all blue, it worked ok, our next one was black and blue, it did heat the water faster, more expensive though also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville