Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2017, 01:08 AM

13 posts, read 23,257 times

Advertisements

Hello Knoxvillians... We're the proud new owners of a Hoarder House, that's overflowing with junk, clothes, glassware, Christmas decorations, and lots of antiques. We purchased the house as rental property, and would like to find either a couple of day laborers, or prehaps someone who would want the contents, for cleaning it out.
We'll provide the dumpster, and the found treasure would be yours to keep. This is a great deal for the flea marketer, or eBay seller.
We'd be open to offers, or ideas on how to make this work for everyone involved. This home is located between Lenoir City and Loudon, just a few miles from I-75.
I'd also like to ask for some input on how you've found day worker's in the Knoxville area. We're looking for help with brush and tree removal, and would also like to hire a couple residential construction workers, to help with the remodeling project.
I've tried Craigslist, and the prices aren't what you'd expect from day laborers, and those are just the ones who bothered to show up for an estimate.
I've also tried advertising on the Facebook Yard Sale groups, looking for residential construction workers, and had zero results.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 01:31 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,756 times
Try the Next Door app. You will need to verify you own the address, but then you can post what you are looking for and it will be seen by people living in that area.

Old 08-29-2017, 04:54 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
I'd contact local antique dealers. I'm sure someone will bite.

Regarding workers, did you check with the actual day labor outfits? Finding someone on a yard sale page is probably going to be next to impossible. It's a worker's market, right now, with unemployment around 2.5 percent.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:24 AM

36 posts, read 47,794 times
Be careful with a hoarders house. You never know what you will find. A head to toe hazmat suit with a good respirator mask required.

Old 09-16-2017, 02:33 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
There is a lady that has a dealership/shop/does this sort of thing. Her name is Mary Jo Case. She has been featured in magazines and such. She has a son that is in Knoxville with an antiques business also so they may be of assistance. Hope this helps!

Mary Jo Case's Antiques

Old 09-16-2017, 02:39 PM

59 posts, read 68,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickels View Post
Be careful with a hoarders house. You never know what you will find. A head to toe hazmat suit with a good respirator mask required.
I was thinking similar! The contents that can be seen sound intriguing. What cannot be seen sounds scary! It's like Storage Wars. I watch sometimes, but cringe as they explore deeper and deeper into those units! Most of the time it turns out well.

Good luck to you, OP! Hoping that all turns out well for everyone involved! Take care!

Old 09-17-2017, 12:38 AM

13 posts, read 23,257 times
Thanks to everyone for the advice, and the warnings.
You all are very correct in saying, what you can't see, is worse than what you can. We have been wearing masks rated for mold, and taking precautions.
I'm already a member of my local NEXTDOOR neighborhood group, including several surrounding neighborhoods. And that's exactly how I found several people to help out.
I originally did a Google search in the Loudon area for clean outs, junk removal, movers, etc. Those estimates turned out to all be double the price of the crew I hired, from my NEXTDOOR group.
And, I also used the NEXTDOOR group to find someone who'd like to exchange their time for anything they found in this mess. I got very lucky and had a lady about 1 mile away join me in this treasure hunt.
On the NEXTDOOR group I found the owner of a residential construction crew that normally travels around the country for an escape theme, adventure park. Their next job is in Houston. So needless to say, that project has been delayed for a month or two. So, the NEXTDOOR group definitely is the way to go for anyone looking to hire, locally.
But, in case anyone is looking for work, I'm still looking for residential construction workers, because the current crew will be leaving for Houston as soon as their project gets the green light.
And I've got a garage full of vintage glassware that I'd love to sell as a lot.
Thanks again for everyone's help!!

Old 09-21-2017, 06:21 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJCINTN View Post
Thanks to everyone for the advice, and the warnings.
You all are very correct in saying, what you can't see, is worse than what you can. We have been wearing masks rated for mold, and taking precautions.
I'm already a member of my local NEXTDOOR neighborhood group, including several surrounding neighborhoods. And that's exactly how I found several people to help out.
I originally did a Google search in the Loudon area for clean outs, junk removal, movers, etc. Those estimates turned out to all be double the price of the crew I hired, from my NEXTDOOR group.
And, I also used the NEXTDOOR group to find someone who'd like to exchange their time for anything they found in this mess. I got very lucky and had a lady about 1 mile away join me in this treasure hunt.
On the NEXTDOOR group I found the owner of a residential construction crew that normally travels around the country for an escape theme, adventure park. Their next job is in Houston. So needless to say, that project has been delayed for a month or two. So, the NEXTDOOR group definitely is the way to go for anyone looking to hire, locally.
But, in case anyone is looking for work, I'm still looking for residential construction workers, because the current crew will be leaving for Houston as soon as their project gets the green light.
And I've got a garage full of vintage glassware that I'd love to sell as a lot.
Thanks again for everyone's help!!
Thanks for updating and letting us know how it worked out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville