Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 07:13 PM

717 posts, read 2,808,071 times

Advertisements

I would like to know what you like and dislike about living in or near Knoxville? I haven't spent much time in Knoxville--like since the World's Fair back in the early 80's. I've been to Gatlinburg a few times and have spent a lot of time looking at Virginia, North Carolina, & north Georgia, but not much time in Tennessee.

I am planning on heading up there sometime during this summer--most likely after 4th of July. I will be looking at your city as a possible place to consider living--so I don't want to look at it through the eyes of a tourist.

I grew up in a very small town in Illinois(5,000). Spent 11 years in Harrisburg, PA; and have been in Florida for 8 years now. In 2004 I was in Raleigh (Cary) for 6 mos--and I absolutely loved it at the time. Now, however, it has gotten too big and too busy for me. I know that Florida is not my forever place to be. I just had to stop moving cause 4 kids needed to get through school.

Anyway, at this point, I just want some insight from the people who live in the Knoxville area as to how they see their city--good and bad. I am a down-to-earth person--nothing superficial or artificial about me at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 07:26 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsajourney View Post
I would like to know what you like and dislike about living in or near Knoxville? I haven't spent much time in Knoxville--like since the World's Fair back in the early 80's. I've been to Gatlinburg a few times and have spent a lot of time looking at Virginia, North Carolina, & north Georgia, but not much time in Tennessee.

I am planning on heading up there sometime during this summer--most likely after 4th of July. I will be looking at your city as a possible place to consider living--so I don't want to look at it through the eyes of a tourist.

I grew up in a very small town in Illinois(5,000). Spent 11 years in Harrisburg, PA; and have been in Florida for 8 years now. In 2004 I was in Raleigh (Cary) for 6 mos--and I absolutely loved it at the time. Now, however, it has gotten too big and too busy for me. I know that Florida is not my forever place to be. I just had to stop moving cause 4 kids needed to get through school.

Anyway, at this point, I just want some insight from the people who live in the Knoxville area as to how they see their city--good and bad. I am a down-to-earth person--nothing superficial or artificial about me at all.
Hi my friend from the Florida forum!

My husband is from Illinois. Lived in Florida for 25 years. I'm from Mass. and lived in Florida for 10.

If you are not superficial and Knoxville is the place to be. In fact, Naples, that you were considering, is the most superficial place I have ever been, filled with wannabes that are horribly rude and ignorant.

But moving on to happier thoughts...Knoxville seems like a very large town, rather than a city. If you've already enjoyed The South then you will love it here.

One of the biggest reasons that we moved here was to bring up our daughter. The school system is very good.

The people are fabulous. They'll chat your ear off.

Housing is extremely affordable.

Wait a minute...

I once wrote something on the main Tennessee forum that will sum it up. Here it is, slightly edited, because it really pertains to Knoxville.

I love that I have to set aside time when running errands because I will always have to stop and talk to people I have never met before.

The weather is perfect.

The scenery is lush and beautiful.

The homes are affordable and property tax is low but my government services are excellent.

There's a service station down the road from me where a little old man comes out and pumps my gas if I don't feel well.

When I bought my first home the neighbors came from all over just to say "hello" and introduce themselves.

The doctors and nurses treat me like a person, care about me and were the only ones to correctly diagnose me after Florida doctors scratched their heads for ten years.

My 84-year-old neighbor still works, sometimes traveling by car all night from town to town, yet is always there to lend a hand or tools and spends time with our daughter.

We found the best dog in the world at a Knoxville shelter that is clean and professionally run and the local people line up to adopt the animals.

When I broke the only key to my car the convenience store helped me called a locksmith who promptly came and accepted a check without even blinking.

Cashiers actually thank me for doing business with them.

When I told a teenager he should drive more carefully his only response was, "Yes, ma'am."

Spring is spectacular. Flowering trees and daffodils are not only in almost every yard but grow wild in the woods and beside the roads and highways.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 06-13-2009, 07:39 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,484,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsajourney View Post

Welcome to the forum! You may enjoy reading this previous thread which is along the same vein as yours. https://www.city-data.com/forum/knoxv...dont-like.html

Old 06-13-2009, 07:40 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,348,128 times
Ditto what Hik said. I'm from a very small town and Knoxville is the first city I've ever lived in. I love Knoxville. Whenever I go out, just about everyone I see stops and chats with me which is nice being treated like they've known you their whole lives. Knoxville to me is more like a overgrown town then a city.
When you come to check us out, go to the grocery store, post office and local shops. Talk to everyone you come across from the busboy at the restaurant to convenience store clerks, to the strangers sitting on a bench outside the local Walmart. Go to places you would frequent if you lived here. Take a cab, the local cab company has wonderful employees. Talk to your cabbie, they are a wealth of information.
Knoxville is a great place to live and I love it here. I'm originally from upstate NY, my husband Bill is from New Orleans and we both can't imagine calling any other place home.
There isn't one bad thing I can think of to say about Knoxville.
All the best,
Pam

Old 06-13-2009, 08:47 PM

You all have brought such huge smiles to my face!!!

Hiknapster--I have enjoyed reading your posts--and have come across several--that's why I told you that I think we have an awful lot in common....I did read your previous post about talking to everyone and allowing extra time for such. That brings GREAT JOY to my heart. Not until I started spending time in the south did I find people that could "out talk" me....LOL But it made me feel right at home. In PA I don't think I ever quite fit right in because I was TOO out-going and friendly. I think folks in the northeast thought there wasn't something quite right about me...bigger LOL

That's what happens in the south and mid-west. That's the way we are. They have no idea the joy in life they miss not knowing this. We talk, we smile, we wave at strangers, people will help if you have car trouble, give you directions, etc. I actually had someone in this forum somewhere ask me, "What's this thing about waving at total strangers?" To me, it was totally unbelievable that I had to explain this to someone.

AND WHAT A GORGEOUS PICTURE!!! I can't tell for sure, but I am guessing that is dogwood? if not, then perhaps Cherry? I used to have both in my yard in PA. That is the wonderful thing about your area--the north meets the south for some wonderful gardening--tulips, hyacinth (frangrance is like heaven to me), daffodils, magnolias, tulip trees. You all have the best of everything. Who the heck wants to garden in Florida? Too hot and too much trouble to get anything to grow. I miss having a garden, waiting for the robins to return, feeding the birds, a country drive, down-to-earth living!!!

I love reading your posts--keep the info coming. Where is your hubby from? I was born in Chicago area. Grew up in Watseka (between Kankakee and Champaign), went to school in Peoria and Carbondale, and spent early married years in Springfield--so I've been pretty much all over the state--except the western part.

Smokey Mountain Gal--I have read lots of your posts also--always enjoy them...Thanks for the warm welcome. I will go search the thread you posted for me as soon as I finish this.

Pam & Bill--we must be related also....I gave the exact same advice to several people considering a move to Florida. Don't come down here as a tourist--cause it's gonna probably look nice to you in that respect. Talk to the 7-11 clerk, the person at your hotel front desk, go people watch, etc. etc. This is advice that is worth a million dollars and then some--for people who don't use that perspective when searching for their "utopia".

Gee, I already feel like I've got some best friends--we'll have to go do the "girl" things when I get up there--by then I will have known you guys for a lifetime--even tho it's only a few weeks away. :-)

Thanks a bunch!!!

Last edited by itsajourney; 06-13-2009 at 08:56 PM..

Old 06-13-2009, 09:20 PM

47 posts, read 160,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam& Bill View Post
my husband Bill is from New Orleans
Well, well... I finally hear of someone else from the Big Easy!

Old 06-14-2009, 10:03 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
Thanks itsajourney!

I bet we have a lot in common. My husband was born in Chicago. Berwyn, to be exact, in 1969. Lived there until the early 80s. They moved down to Florida during the recession when his dad became ill and they realized they could no longer make it there.

That was back when Florida was still Florida, in many respects, especially southwest. It was not overpopulated. The jobs didn't pay well but the cost of living was VERY low. My, how things have changed.

I think he fits in well here because, basically, he was raised as a Florida boy, back when that meant "Southern" and the favorite pastime was riding his dirt bike through acres of undeveloped land, fishing and swimming with the alligators.

I think I talked waaaaaay to much for New Englanders, too. I don't know. Pennsylvanians are more reserved, too. My dad is a New Yorker so he talked to everyone, whether they liked it or not, and I guess I just picked it up from him.

When I lived in Orlando I still came across friendly people but that came to a screeching halt in southwest Florida. I have never seen such a bunch of crabby, rude and unfriendly people in my life. I mean that. It is not hyperbole. Going to the grocery store, I would want to just go home and cry.

Let's talk about Knoxville. That's a much cheerier subject!

Yes! Those are dogwoods! They are so abundant that we even have a Dogwood Festival!

Dogwood Arts Festival

I have made some very, very nice friends on this forum and I hope that we will be friends, too!

Old 06-14-2009, 01:32 PM

Hiknapster---OMG, I would almost bet your hubby was born at MacNeil Memorial Hospital, Berwyn, IL!!!!! I don't know how many hospitals there are in Berwyn--but that's the one I was born at....this is JUST TOO FUNNY. At the time we lived in Riverside. You have to let me know on this.

I'll post more later--I just had a quick minute to look and see what's on here--couldn't believe it when I read it.

It really is a small world...my doctor here in Orlando did his residency at McNeil Memorial in Berwyn.

PS I wish I could say I was born in 1969....

Old 06-14-2009, 01:41 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,273,545 times
Would it be hard for a single older person (retired) who is somewhat reticent to meet people? Are there any over 55 townhome communities to live that are relatively close into the city itself?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 06-14-2009, 03:49 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,582,370 times
Nancy, there are a lot or retired people at the Pembroke Condos right downtown. An added bonus is you are only 2 blocks from the main Library!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville