Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 09:33 AM

11 posts, read 24,699 times

Advertisements

Hi,

The question was perfectly ok to ask. We would like to live in Knoxville because it appears to have a great deal of places that our kids can go. Where we live, they are limited to a bowling alley, skating rink and movie theater.

Someone mentioned something to the affect about the musical instruments. The equiptment will only be there a short time until they can rent a place to pratice. They will not be any practice at our home. They have far too much equiptment, and are too advanced for a garage band.

I'm just a little preplexed about the price of rent in Knoxville. We live in a small town that has 1 univeresity and one jr college, so we have a good many college students from out of town that are renting houes and Apts., yet the rent seems to be a little less expensive here. However, information that I was given stated that the cost of living in Knoxville was 17% cheaper than here.

Quote:
Also, since others mentioned Maryville and Oak Ridge; another possibility, if you are willing to live outside of Knoxville itself, would be Lenoir City in Loudon County. Fort Sanders built a new hospital just off of Hwy. 321 in Lenoir City a few years ago. Also, it is a growing area but still somewhat affordable. And it is within 10 or 15 minutes to Turkey Creek and West Knoxville (so you would also be close to two other hospitals; Parkwest and Baptist West).
Just another possibility you might want to look at.
Would you mind filling us in on these places, as far as the population is, what kind of things are there to do there, how far it is to Knoxville?

So, as it appears now, in Knoxville, there are some areas around St. Mary's with 3 BR houses for rent in the 950.00 per month range, and also maybe in oak ridge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 10:09 AM

13,358 posts, read 40,003,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joncin View Post
Hi,

The question was perfectly ok to ask. We would like to live in Knoxville because it appears to have a great deal of places that our kids can go. Where we live, they are limited to a bowling alley, skating rink and movie theater.

Someone mentioned something to the affect about the musical instruments. The equiptment will only be there a short time until they can rent a place to pratice. They will not be any practice at our home. They have far too much equiptment, and are too advanced for a garage band.

I'm just a little preplexed about the price of rent in Knoxville. We live in a small town that has 1 univeresity and one jr college, so we have a good many college students from out of town that are renting houes and Apts., yet the rent seems to be a little less expensive here. However, information that I was given stated that the cost of living in Knoxville was 17% cheaper than here.

Would you mind filling us in on these places, as far as the population is, what kind of things are there to do there, how far it is to Knoxville?

So, as it appears now, in Knoxville, there are some areas around St. Mary's with 3 BR houses for rent in the 950.00 per month range, and also maybe in oak ridge?
As I posted yesterday, Oak Ridge and Maryville are each about 20-30 miles outside of Knoxville. Maryville is more convenient to downtown Knoxville/U.T. while Oak Ridge is more convenient to West Knox/Turkey Creek (huge shopping area).

Both cities have about 27,000-30,000 people. Both have excellent schools. Oak Ridge may have more for kids to do, I'm not sure. I know they have a nice science museum, and I believe they also have a children's museum. Oak Ridge is also right on a lake. Maryville has more shopping, however, and is also closer to the Smoky Mountains. It's also right next to the Knoxville airport.

Old 09-27-2008, 01:58 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,522,967 times
Hello

For info on Maryville please click on this link:
http://www.city-data.com/city/Maryville-Tennessee.html
and for info on Oak Ridge please click on this link:
http://www.city-data.com/city/Oak-Ridge-Tennessee.html

I will also suggest Sevierville and info on that city can be found here: http://www.city-data.com/city/Sevier...Tennessee.html

If we can help further please let us know.

Last edited by Beretta; 09-27-2008 at 03:31 PM.. Reason: fixed my smiley face :o)

Old 09-27-2008, 03:25 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,667,788 times
Try Powell/Halls which are just north of Knoxville. There's a huge new hospital complex on Emory Road, right off I-75. It's very suburban up there, but also rapidly developing. You'll find houses for rent as well as condo townhouses.

Old 09-27-2008, 05:49 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,330,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
Try Powell/Halls which are just north of Knoxville. There's a huge new hospital complex on Emory Road, right off I-75. It's very suburban up there, but also rapidly developing. You'll find houses for rent as well as condo townhouses.
D'oh! Why didn't I think of that? Good schools, too.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:39 AM

Hello,

We really appreciate the help, however we really would like to live within Knox county. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:33 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,335,296 times
I thought Powel and Halls were in Knox county?????

Old 09-28-2008, 02:45 PM

Heya,

I haven't a clue. We have looked on mapquest and google map, but it's hard to try and figure out if these are cities outside of knox county or communities within knox county.

We did manage to find one st. that is close to st. marys, and that is "Cecil Ave". I don't know how many other streets are in the same area, or subdivisons, or how safe it is in that area.

As you can see, we are pretty confused....lol , and need all the help we can get.

Thanks.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:50 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,330,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joncin View Post
Heya,

I haven't a clue. We have looked on mapquest and google map, but it's hard to try and figure out if these are cities outside of knox county or communities within knox county.

We did manage to find one st. that is close to st. marys, and that is "Cecil Ave". I don't know how many other streets are in the same area, or subdivisons, or how safe it is in that area.

As you can see, we are pretty confused....lol , and need all the help we can get.

Thanks.
I think that we might be confusing you. St. Mary's hospital will be closing. The schools in that district are not the best.

Now, St. Mary's NORTH is on Emory Road, just east of I-75. The rents shouldn't be too bad, the schools are very good. It is farther out than downtown and probably less stressful.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:09 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,667,788 times
Some basic info and explanations.
To find what's where in Knox County and Knoxville City, use this source:
" + theTitle + "
If you go up to the "themes" drop down menu in the upper right, you can do all kinds of overlays for school districts, zoning, etc.
Powell and Halls are both in Knox County.
Hospitals. There are/were four major health/hospital groups in Knox County:
Baptist, St. Mary's, Convenant (Park West) and University of Tennessee Hospital.
Baptist and St. Mary's recently merged and are in the process of closing down and/or renovating their older facilities.
For St. Mary's, this is the big complex that's located on Oak Hill Avenue near downtown.
For Baptist, it's their old hospital across the river from downtown.
St. Mary's has a brand new complex on Emory Road in Powell.
Baptist has a new complex in Turkey Creek (Lovell Road at Parkside Drive)
Park West has a fairly new hospital in far west, Fort Sanders has a hospital near UT. They're part of Convenant and also operate Peninsula mental health services.
http://www.peninsulaoutpatient.org/poc.cfm
The area around Peninsula's 24 hour center on Baum Drive would be a good place to look. Nice suburban area, good schools, even decent bus service.
Cecil Avenue could be good or bad, it depends. I wouldn't rent there sight unseen.
A couple of other areas you might want to look in are Bluegrass/Concord, which is south of Kingston Pike and between Merrill Road and Pellisippi Parkway, more or less. There are a lot of subdivisions around there and it would be a quick 10 minutes to Park West or Baptist at Turkey Creek. Two main roads are Nubbin Ridge and Ebenezeer.
Another good area would be West Hills. Big ranch houses from the '60s built on big lots and very affordable, lots of stuff for the kids within walking distance including a huge YWCA and city parks. There are plenty of medical emergency centers around there and it would be about 15 minutes to a hospital and very close to Peninsula's 24 hour center.

Last edited by knoxgarden; 09-28-2008 at 04:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville