Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 05:16 PM

6,196 posts, read 5,444,949 times

Advertisements

When I moved from the Chicago area to outside of Nashville, I was a fish out of water. People asked me questions, gave me directions I didn't understand, ect. My dad was born and raised TN, mom was b/r Chicago and us kids split our lives between the two. BUT it was different when I moved to TN, I was told I was rude, a witch and unfriendly. My dad explained it to me and said that the yankees are born with an attitude and the accent came off as sarcasim. After being "educated" for 6 month I had no problems but when I went back to Chicago they would look at me and say YOU arn't from here are you! Well yes I was born here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 05:17 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,960,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyofengland View Post
I'm originally from England and came here two years ago from New York. I love everything about it, but especially the people. And I have got more hugs here than in a lifetime. I love the way I get to talk to complete strangers everywhere I go, and I love to talk.

Talking of hugging watch this please. A friend of my daughter who lives in Spain made this short movie a couple of years ago. It warms my heart every time I see it. "Abrazos Gratis" means Free Hugs

YouTube - Free Hugs Spain Abrazos gratis España Malaga IES Mollina

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS TO YOUALL)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) ))))))))

Love Jen
I love these videos and the song too! Didn't they do one in England as well?

Old 11-12-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the painter View Post
When I moved from the Chicago area to outside of Nashville, I was a fish out of water. People asked me questions, gave me directions I didn't understand, ect. My dad was born and raised TN, mom was b/r Chicago and us kids split our lives between the two. BUT it was different when I moved to TN, I was told I was rude, a witch and unfriendly. My dad explained it to me and said that the yankees are born with an attitude and the accent came off as sarcasim. After being "educated" for 6 month I had no problems but when I went back to Chicago they would look at me and say YOU arn't from here are you! Well yes I was born here.
I've heard that before about Nyer's too. I was born in NY. Sometimes our passion and directness when we speak can come across rude, even thought we don't mean it that way.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:26 PM

152 posts, read 333,022 times
I was checking out on utube to try to find the one made in Malaga Spain, but it appears that lots of them were made. I love them. I don't think it would work so well in UK, as people are (I hate to say this) not so warm although my family is. LOL My husband is a New Yorker and is a warm person and always ready to give peeps hugs. I have to keep a watch on him, if they are young and pretty though!

Jen

Old 11-12-2008, 05:38 PM

2,700 posts, read 3,682,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I'll put this into perspective for you. My best friend is from Ohio. She's teardrop1955 on here. My husband is from Chicago.

I truly meant that the retirees from the midwest in Lee County were nasty. Why? Beats the heck out of me. I never could figure out why those people were like that.

And the only reason I brought it up was the poster was saying that people here are unfriendly and rude but the midwesterners were nice. I was contrasting it with my experiences.

I apologize if I got you upset. I've met you and you are a super nice person. In fact any midwesterner that I have ever met - that was not in Lee County - seems to be nice.

It's a migration thing, I think. The nice people from Florida come up here and really like it.

Birds of a feather flock together.
Your explanation does makes sense. And, thanks. I definitely agree with your 'migration' theory.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyofengland View Post
I was checking out on utube to try to find the one made in Malaga Spain, but it appears that lots of them were made. I love them. I don't think it would work so well in UK, as people are (I hate to say this) not so warm although my family is. LOL My husband is a New Yorker and is a warm person and always ready to give peeps hugs. I have to keep a watch on him, if they are young and pretty though!

Jen
The original one was made by Juan Mann in Austrailia. He started the whole campaign.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4

Old 11-12-2008, 05:54 PM

152 posts, read 333,022 times
Thanks Kim. I wondered where it all started. The world needs more hugs.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:05 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,526,608 times
Yeap!!!

Old 11-12-2008, 06:24 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Suzanne! Thank goodness! I thought I had REALLY did it! I should have been more specific to begin with.

I'm from the northeast. People can tell I'm from up north, but I usually don't get any crazy comments. Well, I did get one "Civil War" one once but I work in customer service and my area is from Memphis, Little Rock, north Georgia, Chattanooga, LaFollette, Harriman, Knoxville, up through Greeneville, Johnson City and into Virginia.

Kim, I understand about being afraid to go anywhere in Florida. Finally, after about 8 years, I stopped going out, or rarely did. It was torture to drive to Tennessee, but I was so desperate that I did it. It took a long time for me to venture out in Tennessee and then my neighbors were totally bizarre.

Finally, I got a job with people I liked, found an area that wasn't so far away from Knoxville and things got much better. I love it here, now.

Old 11-28-2008, 06:20 PM

20 posts, read 54,406 times
We are not planning to move back (Tampa Bay), but if we ever do it will be because we miss friends and family. Not because we don't like Knoxville. When we hear about anyone moving back anywhere, it's usually for the same reasons.

Having move a few times, we've found that it usually takes 2 - 3 years for a new city to feel like "your home". Of course, you have to do what's right for you. Knoxville won't get offended ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville