Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 09:21 PM

15 posts, read 21,010 times

Advertisements

can someone give me a little info about the area. we live in sw tn. but looking to relocate in a quiet community, perhaps clinton. have been waiting for the nasty weather to break so we can visit your area. thank you, george
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 09:40 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,390,007 times
Clinton is the county seat for Anderson county, has 2 high shools, and a great little rural type town. The main street of town, is now full of antigue shops, and maybe one small grill, and a few resturantst, the Apple Blossom, for good old time cooking and the town sets between Oak Ridge, and the beautiful old quaint town of Norris and Andersonsville. Its located close to the Norris lake, and only about a thirty minute drive into Knoxville, by either Clinton Hwy or by interstate 75. There are lots of country places to live, and not too much new in the city areas. Good luck on your visit.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:44 PM

15 posts, read 21,010 times
Default clinton

thank you, appreciate your courtesy and info

Old 01-29-2009, 05:00 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanbob View Post
Clinton is the county seat for Anderson county, has 2 high shools, and a great little rural type town. The main street of town, is now full of antigue shops, and maybe one small grill, and a few resturantst, the Apple Blossom, for good old time cooking and the town sets between Oak Ridge, and the beautiful old quaint town of Norris and Andersonsville. Its located close to the Norris lake, and only about a thirty minute drive into Knoxville, by either Clinton Hwy or by interstate 75. There are lots of country places to live, and not too much new in the city areas. Good luck on your visit.
I would never in a million years call Clinton a "rural-type" town.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:01 AM

83 posts, read 347,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-rak View Post
can someone give me a little info about the area. we live in sw tn. but looking to relocate in a quiet community, perhaps clinton. have been waiting for the nasty weather to break so we can visit your area. thank you, george
Honestly, I wouldn't move to East TN. I'm trying to move out! The air quality in the counties of Anderson, Knox, Roane and Loudon are horrible. I don't know about other counties but these I haved lived in.

TVA's Bull Run Steam Plant is in Anderson county, the Kingston Plant in Roane county, both of which are in a valley and I'm sandwiched between both in Lenoir City. I have chronic sinus infections from the air pollution and the humidity. If you have sinus problems, my advice is to stay out of the East TN valley.

I'm not trying to be negative just honest. A valley is never a good place to live because the air doesn't circulate well and having 2 coal fire plants in the valley doesn't help. Also you have I-40 merging with I-75 in West Knoxville and the fumes from the traffic (especially diesel) is horrible around the Watt Rd. exit. My eyes burn just driving pass the Watt Rd. exit.

The reason I mention the interstate is because they are building up (shops, car dealerships, gas stations, eateries) what I call "North" Clinton up by I-75 at Norris. The proposed connecter from about Lenoir City to Norris would cut down traffic through downtown Knoxville but raise the traffic flow through Anderson County, almost cutting Anderson county in half.

Sorry for the lengthy reply. If it were me, I'd stay up on higher ground where the air is somewhat better, at least for me. Blessings to you!

Old 01-29-2009, 09:48 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,350,655 times
George,
I see you made it to the right forum for your question. You got two opposing points of view. I do hope others will weigh in for you.
Pam

Old 01-29-2009, 10:27 AM

13,355 posts, read 39,974,327 times
As an impartial observer, I have to say I've never been very impressed with Clinton. It's got a pretty sizable downtown area for such a small town, but it looks pretty run-down, very similar to some of the towns I've seen in West Tennessee that are also run-down. And now that the area around I-75 is building up, several miles from town, it might make it even more difficult to find the money to renovate the town center. There's a KMart in Clinton which is the smallest KMart I have ever seen and the most decrepit (and that's saying something).

On the other hand, the little town of Norris, which is essentially just on the other side of I-75 from Clinton, is a real charmer. If you really want a quaint, small-town atmosphere nestled in beautiful East Tennessee countryside it would be hard to beat Norris. There's a huge new Wal-Mart SuperCenter right at I-75 which has a Clinton address, but I believe Norris is actually closer than the main part of Clinton.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:30 PM

132 posts, read 371,507 times
I would have to agree with this. Norris is a great little community. I forgot about it, but it has that small town feel only about 20 minutes outside of Knoxville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
As an impartial observer, I have to say I've never been very impressed with Clinton. It's got a pretty sizable downtown area for such a small town, but it looks pretty run-down, very similar to some of the towns I've seen in West Tennessee that are also run-down. And now that the area around I-75 is building up, several miles from town, it might make it even more difficult to find the money to renovate the town center. There's a KMart in Clinton which is the smallest KMart I have ever seen and the most decrepit (and that's saying something).

On the other hand, the little town of Norris, which is essentially just on the other side of I-75 from Clinton, is a real charmer. If you really want a quaint, small-town atmosphere nestled in beautiful East Tennessee countryside it would be hard to beat Norris. There's a huge new Wal-Mart SuperCenter right at I-75 which has a Clinton address, but I believe Norris is actually closer than the main part of Clinton.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:26 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,781,047 times
I would not recommend Clinton either. There are nicer towns around Knoxville. Norris, Maryville, Sevierville, Dandridge, and even Lenoir City are nicer. Though there are exceptions (Norris), things tend to get rougher as you head north of Knoxville. Some of these counties are among the poorest in the state (Scott, Union, Campbell, Cocke) and have widespread problems with corruption and meth.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:43 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I would never in a million years call Clinton a "rural-type" town.
I just want to clarify that this doesn't mean I don't like Clinton. I would rather live in Clinton than any big city. I just see it as suburbanish, not rural. It has a major 4 lane road in Oak Ridge Hwy/Charles Seivers Blvd, with store/restaurant and business traffic darting in and off of it. An interste goes through it. It has 3 McDonalds. Does that sound rural?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville