Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 07:57 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,664,218 times

Advertisements

That type of bike! You mean a motorcycle. I think everyone was thinking self-propelled with pedals bike. I sure was.
I'd definitely suggest looking in Friendsville. That might suit you and it's convenient to the airport. Zip is 37737.
City Information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 08:02 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,305,824 times
I don't know about others, but when I read your first post I assumed you meant a bicycle.

I guess a lot has to do with what you plan to do with the land, and what kind of land you are willing to live on. First, there is very little dirt cheap land close to the city (sorry for the pun). Developers buy them up pretty fast and put in a bunch of houses.

I would suggest you start checking real estate web sites and start searching. You will get a pretty good idea of what is out there and the prices they are asking. You might try south of Blount County towards Tellico Plains in Monroe County.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:39 AM

389 posts, read 1,075,670 times
I just have to LOL at everyone thinking I meant bicycle. I'm sorry, I should have been more specific.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:16 AM

391 posts, read 1,359,759 times
Arctic,

Land has definitely been at a premium in the last few years, but the occasional "honeyhole" does pop up from time to time at the right price. General rule of thumb it seems is that no acreage will ever be less than $5000 per, and like everyone has noted, these will be on the outskirts. You may want to check the Walland area, it's within about your 45 mile range. Specifically the Saddle Ridge development has some 5 acre tracks between $29,000 and $42,000. Not sure about any building restrictions they may have though. But, it would be a gorgeous drive on your bike (motor!). Best of luck...

Last edited by Servpro Will; 01-28-2009 at 09:19 AM..

Old 01-28-2009, 09:12 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,504,784 times
All good advice. If you want to try to get cheaper land then you will probably need to adjust your target destination. You are more likely to find cheaper land near TRI.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:42 PM

389 posts, read 1,075,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
All good advice. If you want to try to get cheaper land then you will probably need to adjust your target destination. You are more likely to find cheaper land near TRI.
TRI? Where would that be?

Where else could I find reasonably affordable property (say 5-10 acres for around or under 20K) that's within 45 miles of an airport in Tennessee?

As far as land goes, I want to buy land that I can choose to do with whatever I please. I don't want to buy something to have someone tell me what I can and cannot build on it. It's my land, god dammit, I'll do with it whatever I damn well please.

On that note, are there lots of HOAs? I detest them, and really would like to find a house (if I can't find land there to build on for a reasonable price within the next few years) where I can live that ISN'T in a HOA.

Any help?

Old 01-28-2009, 02:58 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticPhoenix View Post

Where else could I find reasonably affordable property (say 5-10 acres for around or under 20K) that's within 45 miles of an airport in Tennessee?
She means the Tri-Cities area. The have their own forum on here.

I found a few around here. The closest is on Wolf Valley Road. I use to live near there and it wasn't my cup of tea but it might be yours.

You can put your criteria in here and see what you get.

Map Search

Old 01-28-2009, 03:38 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,305,824 times
Default Rights...

Artic, the following may not apply to you, but....
Traveling around I see a lot of places where it looks like people that live by those words "leave me the hell alone, I will do what I want". I see dilapidated buildings, junk cars, abandoned appliances, and piles of trash all over the place.

I for one would not care to live across the road, next door, or close to a place like that.

Then there are the people that want to build a 3 story structure that is fashioned after someone's anatomy and paint it purple. It's their right too. Would you want to live across the road from it?

Or maybe the wacko that puts up large signs on the road frontage that proclaim their political or racial views.

All in the name of "no one is going to tell me how to live on my property. Yet I know there are places where you can do this.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:04 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,504,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticPhoenix View Post

As far as land goes, I want to buy land that I can choose to do with whatever I please. I don't want to buy something to have someone tell me what I can and cannot build on it. It's my land, god dammit, I'll do with it whatever I damn well please.

On that note, are there lots of HOAs? I detest them, and really would like to find a house (if I can't find land there to build on for a reasonable price within the next few years) where I can live that ISN'T in a HOA.

Any help?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
She means the Tri-Cities area. The have their own forum on here.

I found a few around here. The closest is on Wolf Valley Road. I use to live near there and it wasn't my cup of tea but it might be yours.

You can put your criteria in here and see what you get.

Map Search
Sorry about that. Hik is right. TRI is Tri Cities. Since you said you work for the TSA at the airport I figured you knew the 3 digit airport codes. TYS is Knoxville and TRI is for Tri Cities (Kingsport, Johnson City and Bristol). The Tri Cities is located in northeast TN.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:29 PM

20 posts, read 84,057 times
Have you tried out around Rockwood (Roane county)? Lots of open land out that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville