Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 09:12 AM

5 posts, read 32,360 times

Advertisements

Hi there!
I am a recent college graduate in Michigan and I am desperate to get out of here. I have visited Knoxville for a few days and I love it more than any other city i have ever been. But whenever I look for jobs in the area I only find some for Physician Assistants or Physical Therapists. Unfortuneatly for myself, my degree is in Fine Art and Communication and I am looking to get settled in a youth ministry posistion, a creative arts ministry position or a faith based non-profit where i can use my talents. I can't afford to move without a job promise - im barely making enough to live on here.

Apart from not finding anything, the problem with finding a job in ministry lies int he fact that i fear taking a job with a church only to find out they are way off centre or maybe teach things i do not believe (its happened to me before!) I am pretty conservative, but I very influenced by Shane Claiborne Donald Miller and Rob Bell.

Also, a few kind of trivial things that i have thought about....
-I hate football, passionately
-I have very low interest in country music. My tastes turn more towards indie rock.
-I hate sweet tea
-Im a vegetarian and try to eat completely local and organic

Will I survive here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 12:38 PM

102 posts, read 429,765 times
Rachel, you've set the bar pretty high for yourself, especially for an area you apparently know little to nothing about. Sorry for the cold response, but your statements really got my hackles up.

"I am a recent college graduate in Michigan and I am desperate to get out of here"

I can sympathize with your desperation to move away from Michigan, given the weather and economy there. And even though you may have recently graduated, there's still a lot to learn.

"But whenever I look for jobs in the area I only find some for Physician Assistants or Physical Therapists."

This is a bad thing? Even if your "degree" isn't in this field, just your take on this position is offending. "...some Physician Assistants..." Some people would consider a position such as this a ministry in and of itself. There are other job opportunities available. Not many, but definitely more than just some PA's and PT's.

"Unfortuneatly for myself,..."

'Nuff said here.

"...the problem with finding a job in ministry lies int he fact that i fear taking a job with a church only to find out they are way off centre or maybe teach things i do not believe..."

Oh boy. Where to start with this one. Well, duh! Then don't take a job with those churches! Do you mean to say that you would even apply for a ministry position (youth or otherwise) with a church that is not consistent with your beliefs, or is a different denomination from which you belong? And just where is this magical "center, or centre" you speak of? Left center, or right? Maybe you're center is my far right or vice versa. I mean, c'mon! And this one, "...teach things I don't believe..." really sticks in my craw. Umm, this sounds so, how should I put it, umm, paranoid?

"...i fear taking a job with a church..."

Well you should. You don't "take a job". You answer a call.

...(its happened to me before!)...

Do tell! I have no doubt about it.

"...but I very influenced by Shane Claiborne Donald Miller and Rob Bell."

Never heard of 'em. But influence can be good or bad. Depends on your reaction to influence. You say you're "pretty conservative". So are they "pretty liberal" for balance? But you're "very influenced" by them? 3 to 1 odds. Hmmm, lets guess who might win this one.

Your degree in the Fine Art of Communication, I mean Fine Art AND Communication, should be a beacon of light on your path to, uhh, whatever you pursue. I mean, your use of proper grammar and punctuation in your post says alot.

The next "trivial" questions really have me questioning your potential move.

Shhhh!! Don't say that outloud! Some people might get their feelings hurt. And it won't do you any good either.

-I have very low interest in country music. My tastes turn more towards indie rock.

And your question or point is...???

-I hate sweet tea

That's OK hon. Nobody's perfect.

Why does this not surprise me? Vegetarian: Indian word for BAD HUNTER!!

Will I survive here?

Nope.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:33 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
Rachel, that poster should be ashamed of herself. People like that drive people from the church. She is not typical of the people of Knoxville.

I apologize.

Maybe this site can help you narrow down some churches.

Knoxville churches - Find a church in Knoxville Tennessee

I don't hate football but it is not on the top of my interest list (I'm writing this during the Superbowl kickoff), I love sweet tea but it is not on my list of diet drinks. Country is not particularly prevalent in the area compared to other music. There are lots of vegetarian choices in Knoxville.

I think you would be fine here.

WELCOME to Knoxville!

Old 02-01-2009, 05:05 PM

Thank you so much hiknapster - your response was very sweet and very encouraging!

I am terrified to move so far away on my own, so any kind of encouragement helps

Old 02-01-2009, 05:10 PM

i didnt understand how someone from knoxville could have written like you, but then i realized you were from Texas.

I can't believe that you are surviving in Tennessee. Im sure I'll be fine.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:14 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,486,336 times
Rachel -

Where there is a will there is a way. The churches here are very different from each other in some ways. One thing you might want to consider is taking a job, any job, and searching and seeking out the perfect church and situation for you once you are here.

Good luck!

Old 02-01-2009, 06:20 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,232,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachelbachel View Post
Thank you so much hiknapster - your response was very sweet and very encouraging!

I am terrified to move so far away on my own, so any kind of encouragement helps
Oh, and i know what you meant by the not liking country music. Don't worry, you won't be surrounded by it in Knoxville. If you're interested in secular indie music, there's a few venues that cater to that genre (or, there was when I lived there ). If you're looking more for contemporary Christian, I'm really not sure what's available in Knoxville. Good luck!

Old 02-02-2009, 01:45 PM
BST

451 posts, read 1,202,408 times
There are a few large churches in the area which use media for their weekly ministries. Start with www.fbconcord.org and www.gracebc.org and even check out the local contemporary Christian radio web site www.love89.org

SMG's advice sounds super-solid. Relocate first, find a church once you're here. Grow where you're planted.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:52 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,249,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachelbachel View Post
Hi there!
I am a recent college graduate in Michigan and I am desperate to get out of here. I have visited Knoxville for a few days and I love it more than any other city i have ever been. But whenever I look for jobs in the area I only find some for Physician Assistants or Physical Therapists. Unfortuneatly for myself, my degree is in Fine Art and Communication and I am looking to get settled in a youth ministry posistion, a creative arts ministry position or a faith based non-profit where i can use my talents. I can't afford to move without a job promise - im barely making enough to live on here.

Apart from not finding anything, the problem with finding a job in ministry lies int he fact that i fear taking a job with a church only to find out they are way off centre or maybe teach things i do not believe (its happened to me before!) I am pretty conservative, but I very influenced by Shane Claiborne Donald Miller and Rob Bell.

Also, a few kind of trivial things that i have thought about....
-I hate sweet tea

Will I survive here?

Depends. can you come here, find a job and enjoy your life without continually berating others for some things that are considered, by some, to be the epitome of East Tennessee?

If so, then yes.

I don't know what sort of pay base you're looking for, but it may be much less for the same position here that you have available in Michigan.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:42 AM

Just to make everything clear - for those who think I am just some yankee who considers myself better than everyone, especially southerners...

all of the questions I asked relate to things that i have heard FROM PEOPLE IN TENNESSEE. Now, most of these people are from in and around Nashville, so I just wanted to know a little bit about the culture and scene of KNOXVILLE and how it varies, becuase yes it actually is hard for vegetarians to eat out, which i like to do. But I loved Tennessee when I was there - I love the people and places and it is my favorite place I have ever visited. Does that not count for anything?

Im sorry if I offended anyone but it may be wise is, if in the future, you wait before judging some one for judging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville