Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 12:38 PM

420 posts, read 1,535,388 times

Advertisements

Hi-

I think a map of the area would help you focus your visiting plans a little more. But here are some suggestions on your list of places to explore:

Karns--quite convenient to both Oak Ridge and west Knoxville. There are older burbs, some rural houses and newer burbs and complexes
Powell--not as convenient to Oak Ridge but doable; fairly easy access to central Knoxville via 275.
Halls--this is even farther east than Powell and is not a good commute to Oak Ridge
Fountain City--nice older part of Knoxville, but too far away for a good Oak Ridge commute
Strawberry Plains--this is east of Knoxville and is too far away from Oak Ridge for a commute (would be over an hour)
Oliver Springs--rural, rugged and small. Might be what you are seeking, or not. Depending on how far back you are in a hollow, it can be an easy commute to Oak Ridge.
Cedar Bluff--in west Knoxville, near lots of conveniences. Older suburbs and complexes. Probably 30-40 minutes to Oak Ridge, depending on where you are going.
Turkey Creek--mostly known as a shopping strip, but also near some higher end burbs. You might also look around Farragut. About 20-30 minutes to oak Ridge.
Kingston--small town on a lake in Roane County. Nothing fancy, but quiet. East of Kingston (off 70) is not especially pretty to me, but it can be more convenient to Knoxville. Commute to Oak Ridge depends on where you are going. It is not bad to ORNL, worse to the town of Oak Ridge.

I would encourage you to look hard at Oak Ridge living options, too. OR is close to west Knox shopping, but fairly quiet and would be close to work (I assume)

Good luck with your trip planning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 02:04 PM

611 posts, read 1,459,344 times
Just thought I'd pop in to wish you good luck, 102. The suggestions offered so far in the thread should give you plenty to look at while you're here. Just for a quick point of reference, my dad works at ORNL, and for him it's about a 30 minute commute from Farragut (West Knoxville) every day. Not exactly short, but certainly not unreasonable.

Also, as an aside, I'd venture a guess that about 90% of my extended family lives in Missouri (Kansas City, Columbia, Macon, STL, etc.). My oldest brother is currently in medical school at SLU - he really loves it in St. Louis. So yeah, this isn't particularly helpful for you, but I felt compelled to share.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:02 PM

10 posts, read 25,535 times
I feel compelled to share that I have family in Columbia and our family farm is in Macon!

We love and will miss STL very much. I hope we enjoy TN but I know we will be itching to come "home".

Old 02-18-2009, 07:40 PM

5 posts, read 11,909 times
I'm a recent transfer to Oak Ridge from Washington DC and I found a nice 3 bedroom, 2 bath house for $650 in Oak Ridge that is very close to my job at SAIC. I put about 25 miles a week on my vehicle going to and from work. Back home I was putting 40 miles a day going from DC to McLean VA. Everyone said the cost of living was cheaper but the only thing I find cheaper is the housing. I'm not use to paying 9.5% sales tax and they tax food in TN. I like it here and I'm adjusting and the people here are very friendly but of course I miss my family. Where I live is close to everything from grocery stores, video stores, Home Depot, Sears, the library, Walmart, and movie theater.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:06 PM

Thanks for your feedback. That's a 2% increase in tax for us. That's crazy. I guess they make it up to you by not charging taxes on your income? Or at least that's what we've heard. I am looking forward to saving money in gas! Right now we put about 125 miles a day on our vehicles just to get to and from work.

If you knew then what you know now about OR would you still chose to live there or in a different area near OR?

Old 02-19-2009, 09:04 AM

197 posts, read 485,548 times
Yes, the sales tax is to make up for not having an income tax.

Can't have your cake and eat it too.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:31 AM

420 posts, read 1,535,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 102507 View Post
That's a 2% increase in tax for us. That's crazy. I guess they make it up to you by not charging taxes on your income? Or at least that's what we've heard.
That's correct that there is no state income tax (on regular earned income). Even taxes on investments are fairly modest.

Basically, the lower your income in TN, the higher your tax burden. If you make a good income here, the high sales tax is trivial compared the the state income tax savings. On the other hand if you are making a modest income of say 40k year (which is pretty typical across TN), you will find that the amount of your income you pay towards sales tax to be rather substantial and potentially rather higher than in a state with sales and income tax.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:16 AM

578 posts, read 1,777,230 times
I guess you could get a home in Gamble Valley

Old 02-19-2009, 06:38 PM

5 posts, read 11,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 102507 View Post
Thanks for your feedback. That's a 2% increase in tax for us. That's crazy. I guess they make it up to you by not charging taxes on your income? Or at least that's what we've heard. I am looking forward to saving money in gas! Right now we put about 125 miles a day on our vehicles just to get to and from work.

If you knew then what you know now about OR would you still chose to live there or in a different area near OR?

Yes,I would still make the move. The fact that it only takes me 8 minutes vs 1 hour to get home makes it worth it. I'm renting this house I'm in now. When my husband joins me later in the year we plan to buy. It will problably be in Knoxville so we can have more room for the dogs.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobutter758 View Post
Yes,I would still make the move. The fact that it only takes me 8 minutes vs 1 hour to get home makes it worth it. I'm renting this house I'm in now. When my husband joins me later in the year we plan to buy. It will problably be in Knoxville so we can have more room for the dogs.
I'm glad to hear you are glad you moved to TN! That's awesome. So, you think you would prefer living in an area other than directly in OR? Have you started considering what area yet?

Thanks for writing me back and answering my questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville