Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2009, 02:56 PM

18 posts, read 42,889 times

Advertisements

Anybody have any national data on how the schools in East TN rank? We're planning a move to Maryville and hear that they have good schools, but it looks like housing may be cheaper in other areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 02:59 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times
Well, TN as a state had the largest jump in graduation rates nationwide this past year.
Tennessee named largest graduation rate increase in new study

I have two kids in school here and they are getting a great education and even two free years of college too!

Old 03-24-2009, 03:53 PM

2,124 posts, read 6,823,674 times
Over the years... (I could not find the ideal website to show yearly comparisons)
2003 - Ranking of Elementary Schools in USA
Ranking of Middle Schools in USA
2006-07 - Smartest State 2006-2007
NAEP -- State Profiles. Educational Assessments by State. Student demographics. School characteristics. State comparisons.
2008 - Best High Schools: State by State Statistics - US News and World Report

Old 03-24-2009, 11:08 PM

156 posts, read 493,393 times
According to www.greatschools.net, Maryville schools rank among the top is test scores.

Old 03-28-2009, 02:03 PM

7 posts, read 27,192 times
I graduated from Maryville High School in 2006, and am now a junior at UT, and I think that Maryville City schools do a pretty good job. If your kid can stick in the honors/advanced honors classes, they'll get some good college prep. I scored a 32 ACT and my senior year, I pretty much got the same material I saw my freshman year at UT in calc one and two, basic chemistry, and engineering physics. I was also well prepared for college English classes since Maryville's English teachers have you writing essays as soon as you come in the door. There are also a lot of activities like NHS and such, that can get your kid involved in community stuff and extracurricular activities. I know this isn't statistical data, but coming into UT, and watching a lot of other students struggle with material I already knew from HS makes me think we're pretty good down here.

Old 03-28-2009, 02:42 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiggles View Post
I graduated from Maryville High School in 2006, and am now a junior at UT, and I think that Maryville City schools do a pretty good job. If your kid can stick in the honors/advanced honors classes, they'll get some good college prep. I scored a 32 ACT and my senior year, I pretty much got the same material I saw my freshman year at UT in calc one and two, basic chemistry, and engineering physics. I was also well prepared for college English classes since Maryville's English teachers have you writing essays as soon as you come in the door. There are also a lot of activities like NHS and such, that can get your kid involved in community stuff and extracurricular activities. I know this isn't statistical data, but coming into UT, and watching a lot of other students struggle with material I already knew from HS makes me think we're pretty good down here.
One of my kids graduated a year behind you at Maryville High. When he went to MTSU he skated also, in part I believe, because of his prep at MHS. He, too, took AP and college classes while at MHS and started college with 12 hours already.

I don't mean to get off topic but with all of the good that the Hope has done; a big part of admission to universities is based on both ACT scores and GPA's. GPA's from podunk school systems carry the same weight as Maryville and some of the systems with higher scores. So, at UT all of these kids are thrown together and there you see the cream rise to the top, so to speak (from a prep standpoint only). This is why there has been work in the past 2 years to revise the Hope to lower the college required GPA to retain the Hope.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:34 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
One of my kids graduated a year behind you at Maryville High. When he went to MTSU he skated also, in part I believe, because of his prep at MHS. He, too, took AP and college classes while at MHS and started college with 12 hours already.

I don't mean to get off topic but with all of the good that the Hope has done; a big part of admission to universities is based on both ACT scores and GPA's. GPA's from podunk school systems carry the same weight as Maryville and some of the systems with higher scores. So, at UT all of these kids are thrown together and there you see the cream rise to the top, so to speak (from a prep standpoint only). This is why there has been work in the past 2 years to revise the Hope to lower the college required GPA to retain the Hope.
You know that I am getting up there, so things have probably drastically changed from when I was applying to college. So having said that, I wonder what happened. Way back then every high school was rated. For instance, if you were coming from a high-ranking school or a private one, etc., your college app and your 4.0 pulled much more weight than an app from a student of a poorly performing school.

Did that change? I only ask because I have been concerned, regarding our nine-year-old. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville