Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 06:56 PM

90 posts, read 280,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
You obviously are a more recent immigrant. When I was a kid, we would occasionally get temps that were below zero. In fact, it was quite common to have temperatures in the teens for sometimes weeks on end. Perhaps we're really experiencing global warming and those days of getting arctic weather are gone. But I'm only 30 years old so I wouldn't totally write cold weather off. In 1993 we had an actual blizzard that dumped over 3 FEET of snow, which immobilized the entire city. Power was out for two weeks at our house. We put the food out on the porch in the snow. Me and my brother built a HUGE igloo. So the bottom line is that if you expect Knoxville to be mild, I wouldn't say its exactly the case. I'm just being honest here from a long-term resident.
Thanks sliverbox. I understand where you are coming from but also where hiknapster is coming from too. I was born and raised in New Hampshire and the winters growing up there were basically from Oct. to April and sometimes begining of May. I am 36 and I still remember the Blizzard of '78 where we had gotten 6 feet of snow in a 24 hour period, granted it is not like that now but the temps still get below 0 and the highs are in the teens maybe 20's if you're lucky. While the weather may not be perfect in Knoxville in the winter I can take days in the 30's or 40's quite easily, I may not love it but it is nothing compared to what I was use too and after living Here in Houston and dealing with summer's that are in the high 90's to 100 for 2 months sometimes 3 months with 100% humidity I can't take that. I have also lived in CA and the weather there is "perfect" or atleast I think so but again same problem as in Houston way over crowded, too much crime and foreigners and too much traffic and the cost of living is crazy. No place is perfect you have to take the good with the bad but now having a family of my own my priorities have changed and I want a safer place for my wife and son. Again thank you for your honesty and since you represent a Knoxville original it seems true what the people here say about how nice the people in Knoxville are. Thanks and if you or anyone else has any other info to share about Knoxville on employment or anything else about the city it will be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 07:17 PM

13,356 posts, read 39,989,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenks9 View Post
Thanks sliverbox. I understand where you are coming from but also where hiknapster is coming from too. I was born and raised in New Hampshire and the winters growing up there were basically from Oct. to April and sometimes begining of May. I am 36 and I still remember the Blizzard of '78 where we had gotten 6 feet of snow in a 24 hour period, granted it is not like that now but the temps still get below 0 and the highs are in the teens maybe 20's if you're lucky. While the weather may not be perfect in Knoxville in the winter I can take days in the 30's or 40's quite easily, I may not love it but it is nothing compared to what I was use too and after living Here in Houston and dealing with summer's that are in the high 90's to 100 for 2 months sometimes 3 months with 100% humidity I can't take that. I have also lived in CA and the weather there is "perfect" or atleast I think so but again same problem as in Houston way over crowded, too much crime and foreigners and too much traffic and the cost of living is crazy. No place is perfect you have to take the good with the bad but now having a family of my own my priorities have changed and I want a safer place for my wife and son. Again thank you for your honesty and since you represent a Knoxville original it seems true what the people here say about how nice the people in Knoxville are. Thanks and if you or anyone else has any other info to share about Knoxville on employment or anything else about the city it will be much appreciated.
Listen to hiknapster. She knows what she's talking about. Many people, including sliverbox apparently, have a very narrow view of history as if history started when they were born.

Yes, Tennessee had quite a bit of snow back in the late 70s/early 80s and the temperatures occasionally dropped below 0. But that was extremely rare. When my family moved to TN in 1976 from Florida everyone assured us that TN had "mild" winters with just occasional snow. Well that first winter, 1976, was a big one, and for several years afterwards we had lots of snow. The locals kept apologizing to death because they felt they had misled us even though they had no way of knowing that Mother Nature was going to dump a lot more snow on us than usual.

In other words, the winters we're experiencing now are actually what Tennessee historically enjoyed. Every few years or so we'll have a good snow, and like hik said every century or so we'll have a BIG huge snow storm (by TN standards). And every few years or so we'll have what's called an Alberta Clipper (big cold front) come through which drops the temps into the single digits or even below 0. But those rarely last more than a few days, and you can count on one hand the number of times that's happened in the last 10 years.

We have four beautifully distinct seasons in TN. It gets just cold enough in the winter to appreciate our summers, and it gets just hot enough in the summer to appreciate our winters, if that makes sense.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:03 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,515,021 times
Quote:
I'm a Knoxville native. I lived there for 22 years before moving off. I visit my family every year or so. Basically, the city of knoxville is pretty small. You can walk through the downtown area in about 10-15 minutes. Most of the city is what I'd call suburban sprawl. Lots of chain restaurants and big box stores. Tons and tons of subdivisions and so forth. I never felt it had much character as a kid nor growing up. But they've really fixed up the downtown area and its actually quite nice.

As far as weather, well I wouldn't say it has great weather. You have to remember a lot of the people here telling you the weather is mild are from places like Boston and New York where it gets REALLY cold. Knoxville gets 4 full seasons. I'd say from October-March or April you can expect temps to be anywhere from in the teens in January to the 40's or even 60's on some occasions. As a kid we did get snow, sometimes several times a year. We also got loads and loads of rain. We're talking 40 degrees with weeks of rain on end. I did live in Boston for 2 years and yeah- it gets a LOT colder up there. But don't get me wrong- Knoxville in my opinion has closer to a midwestern climate than a Southern climate.

Lastly, yes, its pretty safe. As in the majority of people live in pre-fab subdivision developments and go to decent public schools.
When did you move away?

Quote:
You obviously are a more recent immigrant. When I was a kid, we would occasionally get temps that were below zero. In fact, it was quite common to have temperatures in the teens for sometimes weeks on end. Perhaps we're really experiencing global warming and those days of getting arctic weather are gone. But I'm only 30 years old so I wouldn't totally write cold weather off. In 1993 we had an actual blizzard that dumped over 3 FEET of snow, which immobilized the entire city. Power was out for two weeks at our house. We put the food out on the porch in the snow. Me and my brother built a HUGE igloo. So the bottom line is that if you expect Knoxville to be mild, I wouldn't say its exactly the case. I'm just being honest here from a long-term resident.
I really have a problem with calling a resident here an "immigrant".

As far as the blizzard of '93; that affected pretty much all of the eastern part of the US.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
When did you move away?

I really have a problem with calling a resident here an "immigrant".

As far as the blizzard of '93; that affected pretty much all of the eastern part of the US.

I agree Beretta, the '93 blizzard did hit pretty much the east coast. It sounds like Knoxville is pretty moderate weather wise from what everyone on here is saying.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:00 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,331,088 times
The word "mild" when talking about weather can be very subjective, so to help explain our weather patterns in East TN, I will throw my explanation in the ring here too. I don't think there can be too many different explanations. It will only help those who have not lived here yet a better idea by getting all the different views on it.

I call it mild because:
Winter.
In the north east of the country you can get 5 months of winter November-March can be 30's during the day but mostly 20's and below and have over a foot of snow on the ground consistently during that time, with January and February seeing many days of below zero most over nights. Blizzards are rare but can happen. Having 3 or more feet of snow is not odd.

In the Midwest, winters seem to last 6-7 months, for example, they have snow already this year and it is October, they will not thaw out until April. There is also a whole lot more wind than here. 6 or more foot of snow is not uncommon, lots of snowed in days.

In the west, it is warm during winters, not a whole lot of change between spring, winter and fall temps.

In the south (FL, South GA, etc.) they are very lucky to see 50 degrees during the winter, it is almost always warmer than that, no snow (except for a few freak snow flakes some years.)

In east TN we might get one or two over nights per winter that gets down into single digits, but it is rare. Yes, it is cold, it can be 30's during the day, but it will not last more than a week or so and usually is in the upper 30's and lower 40's during the day. If we get snow, it is less than 4 inches at a time and melts off within 6 hours or less. Now it can get very drab, similarly to the northeast, we loose the leaves off the trees, there seem to be less evergreens, so it can almost seem more drab that up north because there is no snow to go with the cold temps. However, having those few days here and there during winter that will get up to 50's break up the doldrums a bit. Also winter lasts mainly from very late December to early March.

Spring.
In the Northeast, they see signs of it around May, some rare times the end of April, sometimes it takes until June to see leaves on the trees. Temps in Spring are lucky if it gets up to the mid to upper 60's.

Midwest, they don't see signs of spring until late May or June, having snow for Halloween and Easter is not uncommon. Temps for spring is 20's and 30's.

West, spring is hot 80's and 90's and there is very little floral change.

South, there is really nothing that denotes spring....no floral change and temps are up to the 80's and 90's.

TN, sees signs of Spring in mid March with temps up to high 50's low 60's during the day, but can go into the 30's over night. (those 20-30 temps in a 24 hour period CAN really mess with those who have any joint issues.) Little green buds show up on the trees and crocuses and other early flowers can start popping up out of the ground. During March through May is a true spring with the leaves taking that time to really be full on the trees. But it happens faster than in the north east and earlier. By mid May, we see upper 70's and even 80's for temps.

Fall
North east. Fall in the north east in my opinion is the best season there. It will last from late September into early December with brilliant color leaves staying on the trees for a lot of that time. Temps are upper 50's down to 30's and drop only 10 or so degrees between night and day.

Midwest
They are lucky to see any kind of fall that has color...now someplace's like Ohio gets a bunch but they are that in between Midwest and northeast. However their temps drop off much quicker and are more likely to see snow along with the colors.

West...no real change.

South...still hot (example, my brother called me yesterday to complain that it was almost 100 degrees in FL!) and humid.

TN
We have two types of fall depending on the year. We could have a full blown "north eastern fall" where we have 50 and 60 degree temps and beautiful tree color days of mixed sun and rain. Or we have just a little color that gets knocked off the trees early due to rain. This usually happens when we don't have much rain during the summer and then a lot of rain in early/mid fall. Temps can be anywhere from 70's down to 40's and into the 30's over night.

Summer
North East, they are lucky to see 80 degrees, usually it is mid to upper 70's very little humidity and it last mid June to early September.

Midwest, they can get into the 80's around early June and jump into the 90's early. Humidity levels can change from day to day and state to state, IL gets supper, supper hot and humid quick, Ohio not so much. 100 degree days are not uncommon. And those pesky tornadoes can pop up.

West. Just plain hot, dry and hot, over 110 is not uncommon, heat stroke can be an issue. AZ, NM and parts of TX can see sand storms. Very little rain, which makes it all the more dry.

South
Hot, and the humidity level will zap your energy. It is so humid you can wring yourself out going from house to car, AC to AC. It will rain every day between 3:00pm and 4:00pm, some times torrential down pours.....but they only last 5-10 minutes. Heat lightning almost every night, which can be very cool to watch. End of summer is hurricane time, can't remember a year in recent history where there was not at least two major warnings that causes you to pack up and leave (the is coastal only mind you) just in case. Then of course, sometimes they actually hit.

TN
Summers are very nice, rarely gets over 90 degrees, mid 80's are average and the humidity levels vary and change, some days can be humid, some not at all. Rain here and there, mix of sun and clouds (the nice white puffy floating ones!) for most of the summer.

All in all, I see east TN as a total middle when it comes to weather. Not as hot and humid as the south during summer. Not as brutal cold as the Midwest and north east in the winter and we do have beautiful scenery changes in the spring and fall that show up a bit sooner that the north and last a little longer. So to me, this is what I think of when I say TN has "mild" weather. We have very little chance of seeing a tornado (east and north east TN that is) and never worry about hurricanes or sand storms or a real blizzard.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
The word "mild" when talking about weather can be very subjective, so to help explain our weather patterns in East TN, I will throw my explanation in the ring here too. I don't think there can be too many different explanations. It will only help those who have not lived here yet a better idea by getting all the different views on it.

I call it mild because:
Winter.
In the north east of the country you can get 5 months of winter November-March can be 30's during the day but mostly 20's and below and have over a foot of snow on the ground consistently during that time, with January and February seeing many days of below zero most over nights. Blizzards are rare but can happen. Having 3 or more feet of snow is not odd.

In the Midwest, winters seem to last 6-7 months, for example, they have snow already this year and it is October, they will not thaw out until April. There is also a whole lot more wind than here. 6 or more foot of snow is not uncommon, lots of snowed in days.

In the west, it is warm during winters, not a whole lot of change between spring, winter and fall temps.

In the south (FL, South GA, etc.) they are very lucky to see 50 degrees during the winter, it is almost always warmer than that, no snow (except for a few freak snow flakes some years.)

In east TN we might get one or two over nights per winter that gets down into single digits, but it is rare. Yes, it is cold, it can be 30's during the day, but it will not last more than a week or so and usually is in the upper 30's and lower 40's during the day. If we get snow, it is less than 4 inches at a time and melts off within 6 hours or less. Now it can get very drab, similarly to the northeast, we loose the leaves off the trees, there seem to be less evergreens, so it can almost seem more drab that up north because there is no snow to go with the cold temps. However, having those few days here and there during winter that will get up to 50's break up the doldrums a bit. Also winter lasts mainly from very late December to early March.

Spring.
In the Northeast, they see signs of it around May, some rare times the end of April, sometimes it takes until June to see leaves on the trees. Temps in Spring are lucky if it gets up to the mid to upper 60's.

Midwest, they don't see signs of spring until late May or June, having snow for Halloween and Easter is not uncommon. Temps for spring is 20's and 30's.

West, spring is hot 80's and 90's and there is very little floral change.

South, there is really nothing that denotes spring....no floral change and temps are up to the 80's and 90's.

TN, sees signs of Spring in mid March with temps up to high 50's low 60's during the day, but can go into the 30's over night. (those 20-30 temps in a 24 hour period CAN really mess with those who have any joint issues.) Little green buds show up on the trees and crocuses and other early flowers can start popping up out of the ground. During March through May is a true spring with the leaves taking that time to really be full on the trees. But it happens faster than in the north east and earlier. By mid May, we see upper 70's and even 80's for temps.

Fall
North east. Fall in the north east in my opinion is the best season there. It will last from late September into early December with brilliant color leaves staying on the trees for a lot of that time. Temps are upper 50's down to 30's and drop only 10 or so degrees between night and day.

Midwest
They are lucky to see any kind of fall that has color...now someplace's like Ohio gets a bunch but they are that in between Midwest and northeast. However their temps drop off much quicker and are more likely to see snow along with the colors.

West...no real change.

South...still hot (example, my brother called me yesterday to complain that it was almost 100 degrees in FL!) and humid.

TN
We have two types of fall depending on the year. We could have a full blown "north eastern fall" where we have 50 and 60 degree temps and beautiful tree color days of mixed sun and rain. Or we have just a little color that gets knocked off the trees early due to rain. This usually happens when we don't have much rain during the summer and then a lot of rain in early/mid fall. Temps can be anywhere from 70's down to 40's and into the 30's over night.

Summer
North East, they are lucky to see 80 degrees, usually it is mid to upper 70's very little humidity and it last mid June to early September.

Midwest, they can get into the 80's around early June and jump into the 90's early. Humidity levels can change from day to day and state to state, IL gets supper, supper hot and humid quick, Ohio not so much. 100 degree days are not uncommon. And those pesky tornadoes can pop up.

West. Just plain hot, dry and hot, over 110 is not uncommon, heat stroke can be an issue. AZ, NM and parts of TX can see sand storms. Very little rain, which makes it all the more dry.

South
Hot, and the humidity level will zap your energy. It is so humid you can wring yourself out going from house to car, AC to AC. It will rain every day between 3:00pm and 4:00pm, some times torrential down pours.....but they only last 5-10 minutes. Heat lightning almost every night, which can be very cool to watch. End of summer is hurricane time, can't remember a year in recent history where there was not at least two major warnings that causes you to pack up and leave (the is coastal only mind you) just in case. Then of course, sometimes they actually hit.

TN
Summers are very nice, rarely gets over 90 degrees, mid 80's are average and the humidity levels vary and change, some days can be humid, some not at all. Rain here and there, mix of sun and clouds (the nice white puffy floating ones!) for most of the summer.

All in all, I see east TN as a total middle when it comes to weather. Not as hot and humid as the south during summer. Not as brutal cold as the Midwest and north east in the winter and we do have beautiful scenery changes in the spring and fall that show up a bit sooner that the north and last a little longer. So to me, this is what I think of when I say TN has "mild" weather. We have very little chance of seeing a tornado (east and north east TN that is) and never worry about hurricanes or sand storms or a real blizzard.

Thanks mbmouse. That sounds like a mild winter to me, I am originally from New Hampshire and for most of the winters that I had growing up they would last from Nov. to March and sometimes from Oct. to April and usually from Dec to March you would pretty much have snow almost always on the ground, so it sounds like Knoxville is mild to me. And now living in Houston I love the winter weather we have but the summers last from May to Sept. and June through August is usually upper 90's to 100 with 100% humidity and even today Oct.15 it is 89% outside.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:55 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,318,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenks9 View Post
Thanks mbmouse. That sounds like a mild winter to me, I am originally from New Hampshire and for most of the winters that I had growing up they would last from Nov. to March and sometimes from Oct. to April and usually from Dec to March you would pretty much have snow almost always on the ground, so it sounds like Knoxville is mild to me. And now living in Houston I love the winter weather we have but the summers last from May to Sept. and June through August is usually upper 90's to 100 with 100% humidity and even today Oct.15 it is 89% outside.
The last year that I was in New England, one May I wore a winter coat to church. The next Sunday I was in a sleeveless top. I've seen it snow in May and in October up there.

Personally, I don't think they have a spring in Massachusetts. It goes from cold to hot with wet in between. And they don't have the beautiful flowering trees that Knoxville has. Spring is stunning in Knoxville.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
The last year that I was in New England, one May I wore a winter coat to church. The next Sunday I was in a sleeveless top. I've seen it snow in May and in October up there.

Personally, I don't think they have a spring in Massachusetts. It goes from cold to hot with wet in between. And they don't have the beautiful flowering trees that Knoxville has. Spring is stunning in Knoxville.

Remember the saying in New England, "if you don't like the weather, wait a few minutes because it will change"

Old 10-16-2009, 10:09 AM

745 posts, read 1,720,409 times
Quote:
I'm a Knoxville native. I lived there for 22 years before moving off. I visit my family every year or so. Basically, the city of knoxville is pretty small. You can walk through the downtown area in about 10-15 minutes. Most of the city is what I'd call suburban sprawl. Lots of chain restaurants and big box stores. Tons and tons of subdivisions and so forth. I never felt it had much character as a kid nor growing up. But they've really fixed up the downtown area and its actually quite nice.

As far as weather, well I wouldn't say it has great weather. You have to remember a lot of the people here telling you the weather is mild are from places like Boston and New York where it gets REALLY cold. Knoxville gets 4 full seasons. I'd say from October-March or April you can expect temps to be anywhere from in the teens in January to the 40's or even 60's on some occasions. As a kid we did get snow, sometimes several times a year. We also got loads and loads of rain. We're talking 40 degrees with weeks of rain on end. I did live in Boston for 2 years and yeah- it gets a LOT colder up there. But don't get me wrong- Knoxville in my opinion has closer to a midwestern climate than a Southern climate.

Lastly, yes, its pretty safe. As in the majority of people live in pre-fab subdivision developments and go to decent public schools.
For those who have lived here a long time, some of this info is totally incorrect. I do not remember, for instance, any such time of 40 degree temps and rain for "weeks" on end, if the suggestion is that both occurred at the same time. And the majority of people live in pre-fab subdivision developments? No, not at all. And, the climate is not midwestern, very different, not even closer to it.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:38 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,352,118 times
I have to agree with Weisgarber. No pre fab development dweller here. Apartment dweller, yes but no sub division living for me.
Pam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville