Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 12:23 PM

17 posts, read 47,104 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I've been reading some of these threads and it sounds like there are some really nice people who frequent this site. I am hoping some of you can help cheer me up. I really just need to vent and hopefully somebody can give suggestions.

My husband recently transferred here and works in West Knoxville area. We put our house (in Atlanta area) up for sale in October and it hasn't sold yet (we have lots of great feedback, but no contracts yet). We will be coming out of pocket substantially just to get out of the house. We are praying that spring will bring a buyer and we can start looking for a house here. In the meantime, we decided to go ahead and rent. My middle schooler likes her school, and wants to stay in it for next year (West Valley) and my little one is at A.L. Lotts. However, I have had a frustrating time finding anything in our price range here that we really like. Granted, we have some time because our house hasn't sold yet, and maybe there will be more houses on the market soon with the weather hopefully warming up. Anyway, the house we are selling is currently listed at 199,900 and we were hoping to find a similar price, possibly up to about 240,000. We are not DIYers or FixErUppers and I think we were a little spoiled where we came from. Our house was only 3 years old, had 3bdrms plus a Bonus (4th bedroom) and had a nice sized yard, in a quiet, nice area. I hope this doesn't offend anybody, or make me seem too superficial, but I just feel really depressed when I look around and see so many old homes/neighborhoods. I know that living in a city comes with certain qualities we have to accept, such as having older, run down looking areas next door to nice neighborhoods. And whats up with having a rotten pumpkin (at least that is what it appeared to be) in the median at the corner of Northshore and Pellissippi Pkwy, and graffiti on concrete walls along Ebenezer Rd? Also, many of the restaurants and stores we've been to have not been kept up and were simply dirty. We are not wealthy, so we can't afford to be too picky. But, with the housing prices in some of these areas, you would expect to see nicer surroundings. Where we came from in metro Atlanta, similar older neighborhoods have mostly turned to very undesirable areas (crime, bad schools, etc) and most middle class people moved out. So, I think that Knoxville has obviously done a better job at keeping up the older areas. Maybe I just need to get over this generalization, because this doesn't seem to be the case here, but on the other hand, I want to feel happy where I live, too.

Another frustrating point...
I am an elementary school teacher, and I am looking for a job (approved to substitute to hopefully get my foot in the door, but not getting any calls yet). Since my husband sometimes travels with work, I had to put my toddler in daycare and my little one in after school care p/t to be able to attend the orientation to substitute. I also had to pay out of my own pocket to get fingerprinted and drug tested. Then, it took a few weeks to get approved, so I decided to keep my kids in care, rather than losing a spot and having to pay registration fees again, hoping that I would get some work. I personally took my resume and sub approval form to about 7 schools. So far, nothing. It has only been a few days, but I am getting antsy. I've never had trouble finding work until recently. Does anybody know anything about substituting here? Or, more importantly, the outlook for teaching positions for next year? I have been told to just wait until May when they begin posting on Knox County Schools' website. I have also applied to Maryville City Schools online. It is all so impersonal and makes me worry...should I change careers or try to find something else temporarily? Does anybody know of somebody willing to provide childcare as needed?

Then, this ties into the housing choice as well, because I made the mistake previously of buying in a less desirable school area because I taught in the more desirable school area. Then, when I found out I was expecting and decided to stay home with my children, they had to switch to the less desirable schools. I don't want to make that mistake again.

With all that being said, I do have many things that I like about the area. For example, there is no lack of shopping, parks, lakes, or mountain views. I just haven't been able to enjoy them yet. I am guessing that when Spring comes things will get better. This winter weather has got to go away! Thanks for "listening" to me vent.

Brandy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 12:41 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
It's funny. When I first moved to Knoxville I got to a point where I just felt horrible. I didn't know anyone. I couldn't find anything. I just felt so lost. I felt just like you.

And you are correct, the weather isn't helping.

Yes, in a few weeks the trees will start to turn and your spirits will lift.

I ended up finding the things that were important to me, like fresh seafood (hey! we all have our idiosyncrasies!) I made friends. I fell in love with Knoxville.

But it will not happen overnight. It will take time. I am one of those folks that has to know where everything is, so I really understand. This too shall pass.

There are nice homes in that price range. Keep looking. Tell your agent you are frustrated.

Keep reaching out like you did. It was very smart of you. Keep your chin up. You'll make friends and probably love the area as much as me. I promise you that not every home is run down, nor is every restaurant. You are just in a funk right now.

And if it has only been a few days, as you said, you are getting antsy from waiting, but you know things like finding a job do not happen overnight, especially in a recession.

I want to welcome to Knoxville. If you ever want to talk or find a better restaurant (lol) I'lll be happy to help. We all will. We are a very nice group of folks!

Old 02-17-2010, 12:47 PM

Thanks, hiknapster. That's what I need to hear, even though I already know it! LOL

Old 02-17-2010, 01:28 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Oh, you definitely know it! But everyone needs to hear that they are not losing their mind, that spring needs to get here, that it is tough moving to a new place and that, yes, you are going to have lots of friends and a job because you are likeable and talented.

You actually have a lot going for you right now, such as a kid that likes her school, a husband that is employed and a roof over your head in a friendly city, with spring about to be sprung. But I understand. Over the past five months, I shelled out about $3,500 for a new career so I know that changes are chancey but they are ever so satisfying in the long run. Hang in there, friend!

Old 02-17-2010, 01:49 PM

Yes, that is so true. We are blessed that we have each other and that my hubby is employed and actually likes his job. I was so scared my 12 year old would not like her school because she doesn't do well with transitions, but she has made some friends and wants to stay there, so that is surely a blessing! I have considered trying to find a new career, but I have no clue where to begin! I don't want to incur more student loan debt, I haven't paid off my old one yet! I would really be stressed if I went through all the training for a new career and still couldn't find a job. LOL I think I am going to keep trying to find a teaching job and if nothing comes up by summer, I'll go back to the drawing board. If you don't mind my asking, what field are you going into? I hope it works out for you!

Old 02-17-2010, 09:30 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,780,704 times
Maybe I don't pay attention, but north metro Atlanta looks pretty the same as west Knoxville to me, just something like 8 times the size

Old 02-18-2010, 07:41 AM

We are from South Metro Atlanta, and some parts are like Knoxville, but the demographics are very different. Maybe that will make more sense. Parts of West Knox remind me of back home, like maybe Hardin Valley area...Still some farmland around and not too crowded yet. But, I'm not looking for the same thing necessarily, just want to be happy.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:45 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,823,674 times
Brandy as far as teaching jobs, have you searched the other threads here? I think it's been discussed a few times. I hope someone can give you some helpful info. Is your GA realtor aggressive and creative? Doing all he/she can do?

As far as restaurants, a lot of the local ones are not very creative or forward-thinking. For example Baker Peters is so expensive but the quality and quantity is not there, and they don't even have a dessert menu. You can check out restaurant health inspection scores here -
http://tn.state.gegov.com/tennessee/

Old 02-18-2010, 07:53 AM

I've read a few recent posts regarding teaching jobs, one concerning special education (which is not my area, I'm elementary and would have to go back to school for a few years to be qualified for special ed).
I'll go search a little more . Really, I just needed to vent because it is tough having to wait months just to find out if there are going to be jobs open that start in August. Regarding our agent, we replaced our last one and just recently got a new one. She is doing a great job, had an open house and whatnot. I've changed my attitude a bit since I posted the message yesterday. I really felt like I needed to get it off my shoulders and see that I'm not alone in my frustration...misery loves company and at best, needs cheering up.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:02 AM

46 posts, read 131,652 times
Welcome to Knoxville. I can feel your pain but def keep your head up. South Atlanta ISBAD and there is no question about that. I agree with Kitties that North Atlanta is almost similar to West Knox just bigger in size.

I have seen a few postings for teachers here so keep looking around. Which county was your Atlanta home in?

I would think that you should be able to find a home for around 200K in West Knox without it being too "old".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville