Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 06:01 PM

18,218 posts, read 25,857,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
My stepson just started at NMSU this spring. He said the men's basketball team is on a big winning streak. I told him about the football schedule and he seemed pretty excited that an ACC and Big 10 school and a Mountain west team were coming to town. Opening at Texas and playing in the Rose Bowl stadium at UCLA ought to help them get some exposure
I follow college b-ball somewhat, at least the WAC and the MWC conferences anyway.. Eddie gein is right.

New Mexico State is having a good season this year, coming in with an 18-8 record overall, 12-2 in the WAC. They might not be able to overtake Louisiana Tech as they are 22-3 overall and 13-0 in the conference.

The Aggies have won their last twelve games in a row, their next few games are with Utah State, UTEP, and Denver University.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 12:36 AM

422 posts, read 1,294,914 times
It was a shame that NMSU dropped that game to Utah State tonight. They had a chance to win it...on to the next one

Old 02-19-2013, 10:51 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
As much as people don't like to admit it, the athletics department is one of the major marketing tools of a university. There is no way in HECK that NMSU is dropping to FCS. It is better to be known as bad that not to be known at all.

They DO need to resolve the conference issue. They probably will end up in Conference USA eventually.
You are probably right, where they will end up, but I think we have to realize, even though sports is a marketing tool, NMSU has been suffering big time for many years and no one thinks of them as a major university nor thinks about their sports program (well I don't mean nobody) This doesn't mean it isn't a good or great school, but it doesn't appear the NMSU alum really care about the Athletics and without the financing the progam is bound to fail. Our daughter and son inlaws, alma mater, in So Ca had to shut their football program down altogether. NOTexas is struggling. They are having trouble competing, though they had a decent team about 4 years ago.

I am an avid sports fan, but realize sports isn't the answer to all colleges success.The sad part is; football is the only sport that really brings in the money. A school can have a great basketball and football team as well as golf and swimming but those sports are not money producers.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:00 PM

111 posts, read 238,169 times
I think lack of football success has been a big part of NMSU's perception problem.

In all other sports NMSU is fairly competitive - or even very good (basketball, volleyball). But football has been so awful for so long, that there is a perception that NMSU is just not very good. I think that has hurt chances for a new conference home as well.

Football costs a lot of money - and New Mexico is not a very wealthy state. Plus Las Cruces is not a huge city with a lot of corporate sponsors. Even UNM and UTEP - both in cities 6 times as large as LC, struggle in football.

It certainly looks as though NMSU will continue at the top (FBS) level for a while. Hopefully LC fans will respond to next year's positive home football schedule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces