Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 11:06 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,783,209 times

Advertisements

As many of you know, Las Cruces is at the top of my list for retirement. I am trying to encourage a few other women to join me there!

The question arose about sustainability in Las Cruces. Obviously, it's a desert, however, deserts can have their own form of sustainability, and people have worked around the water issue before.

I was asked about water issues? I understand there is an underground water reserve (not sure if that's the correct phrase). And what about agriculture? I saw that the university there has a lot of programs about agriculture. I do subscribe to New Mexico Magazine, and I have read a lot about the chiles and pecans around there. I also have heard of the Farmer's Market, and wondered where they get their produce from to sell there? Are there people using novel ways to grow in the desert there?

With the new wave of Baby Boomers retiring, and the differences between, say a 70-year-old and a 55 to 60-year-old, we were curious how that may affect the attitudes in town? For instance, I have a friend who is 70, however, he is very conservative, never went through the "hippie '60s" -- he was in the Navy -- and there is a big divide in terms of how we relate culturally, although we are still friends. With the new Boomers being younger and of a different generation, I'm wondering if anyone sees changes in how retirement communities and services will be in Las Cruces as we Boomers come of age?

We women are interested in how or if Las Cruces is moving toward more sustainability (water, agriculturally, energy), and if there are people or organizations involved in such things? We are not hard-core survivalists or anything, just curious about how Las Cruces is in that regard.

Also, the question was raised: Is New Mexico more liberal and down-to-earth than Arizona (especially the Phoenix area)? It seems to be to me, however, I just want to double-check.

Any feedback, referrals, links, advice, or suggestions are appreciated! Thank you so much -- the people on the New Mexico forum seem to be especially tolerant and flexible, and I enjoy their answers.

Thanks again, and I look forward to learning more!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 11:43 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,723,418 times
I don't know how conservative/liberal the retirement commmunity in LC is. In my opinion, people tend to get more conservative as they age (don't shoot me, my opinion), however, I think you will find all kinds in LC.

The Ag school at NMSU is very much involved in research into water conservation (hence the Center for the Sustainable Development of Arid Lands - aka Skeen Hall). Drip irrigation is replacing older methods, and xeriscaping is much more common than it was.

The aquifer is being rapidly depleted due to the growth of the Las Cruces/El Paso/Juarez area. At some point there will have to be a trade-off between continued growth and agriculture as they compete for the same amount of limited water. Currently, in the Mesilla Valley, most water is provided for agriculture by the Rio Grande through the EBID (Elephant Butte Irigation District); while the city gets its water from the aquifer.

I know this doesn't answer all your questions, but that's the extent of my knowlege.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:22 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
They just reciently built the largest Desalinization Plant in El Paso as they say there are trillions of gallons of Brackish water underneath the entire basin and they are building another one north of Tularosa and others planned in the future.
:: El Paso Water Utilities - Public Service Board | Desalination Plant ::

As for energy Gov Richardson has passed legislation over the last several years to allow Wind farms and Solar farms etc..to expand greatly in New Mexico.
New Mexico Alternative Energy Grants, Tax Breaks, Resources | Launch 3 Energy

Las Cruces is a mecca for Boomers as it's great year around weather and laid back attitude is attractive to many Boomers. From hiking and mountain biking the Organ mountains to playing in the Rio Grande at Leesburg Dam and also Radium Springs state park. Whenever i visit i see tons of 50 something Boomers everywhere.

On one hand you see a Booming city and University with all the modern aminities and yet you also can easily find Pecan Orchards, Chile Pepper fields and numerous Dairy farms all around the outskirts and numerous Ghost Towns and Old West 1880's U.S. Army Forts to be explored.

Wish you could visit for a week Wisteria and see for yourself how it feels on you good or bad.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:06 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,275,364 times
We have plenty of water and converting it from Ag to municipal is becoming more of an option folks are looking. Water is not going to be an issue for us here until sometime in the next century unless there's some exceptional population boom, which isn't likely IMO. Ag accounts for about 50% of the economy so it's a major player in both politics and lifestyle. That's one of the things I love about the Mesilla Valley.

I can tell you that with the influx of new people the politics are in fact becoming more liberal despite the assumption that older folks are conservative. A study recently indicated that more of the newcomers are still working age. I think a quick google would find that article in the Sun-News in the last month. Wilderness areas and talk of alternative power were not in the picture here in the 80's aside from solar for hot water that was driven by the old tax breaks. They are now front page material with such things as gas producing algae and solar panel research. Anecdotal perhaps, but that's what I've seen.

My take is that some of the change is for the better and some for the worse. It used to be that people in essence policed themselves and there wasn't much of a law enforcement presence. That's changed dramatically. There are now laws about all kinds of activities. Fireworks for instance. We used to have a prevalence of common sense and that gave us the freedom to do many things that, when done sensibly are fun, but when abused are dangerous.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:52 PM

717 posts, read 1,954,425 times
Excellent references 6'3. Since we will be starting out in LC before we can settle back in TorC the guide lines I'm reading about along these threads are certainly helpful.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracul View Post
Excellent references 6'3. Since we will be starting out in LC before we can settle back in TorC the guide lines I'm reading about along these threads are certainly helpful.
Interesting article in todays El Paso Times about how the new plant is coming along.

Officials pleased with new water desalination plant's performance - El Paso Times

Old 09-07-2008, 08:16 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,275,364 times
I would figure, after the protracted legal battles about taking NM water rights across state lines to add to EP's supply and in particular EP's continual losses in said lawsuits, that their desalinization plant isn't going to add any to Las Cruces' water supply.

It's beneficial perhaps, to demonstrate that it can done. And having someone else do it first will minimize the cost should we ever have to build one. But it's not likely to add to our water supply any. They only way I figure it would be feasible is if they find a way to charge us for it. I don't think we have the demand (nor will we in the foreseeable future), to pay enough to make it worth while. We'll start purchasing the Ag water rights from our instate farmers first and there's a whole lot there to be purchased (both ground and surface water). That's the progression I believe you see in other water challenged western communities.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:02 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,215,780 times
Do both towns operate off the same aquifer?

Reducing EP's load on the aquifer via desalination plant may be indirectly beneficial for LCs water future.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
Do both towns operate off the same aquifer?

Reducing EP's load on the aquifer via desalination plant may be indirectly beneficial for LCs water future.
El Paso gets most of it's water from the Hueco Bolson aquifer and Las Cruces gets most of it's from the Mesilla Bolson aquifer.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:50 PM

702 posts, read 2,295,084 times
I was impressed with the Mayor's new year speech last January, pointing out all the natural resources available here - namely sun and wind. I don't know who wrote the speech because it probably wasn't him, but at least the concepts are being mentioned. If one has the money to get set up, I imagine there is huge potential to live off-grid with solar and wind power. The climate here is perfect for it. I'm all for it, I just lack the money and land to get started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces