Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 11:25 PM

702 posts, read 2,295,760 times

Advertisements

I recently read about Vintage Wines in Mesilla (gasp! A wine bar in LC?) and wanted to start an unofficial list of interesting or special places around town that you wouldn't expect to find here. I've lived here for 1 1/2 years and still haven't been "everywhere", and new things keep popping up.

Any comments on Vintage Wines?

A few of my favorite local businesses:

International Delights: This place is kind of hit or miss, they have screwed up my order many times, but I keep returning. Today I paid over $5 for a rather plain falafel pita sandwich, but I did it because it's the ONLY place in LC where you can get a falafel pita. Pretty good food, decent Mediterranean/Middle Eastern grocery in the restaurant.

Taste of India: Again, the ONLY place in LC to get Eastern Indian food. I hit their lunch buffet about once a month. $7.50 for all you can eat. Enough selection to please both meat-eaters and vegetarians. If they were located anywhere but directly across from NMSU, they would have folded a long time ago. Highly recommended.

The Gen: A cool costume/vintage clothing store near Picacho/Valley. I don't know how this store makes it here. I first went last September looking for items for my Halloween costume - wow! I could easily spend two hours poking around there. Lots of neat vintage things organized in categories: Roaring 20s, Indian, 50s, 60s, etc.

Hayden's Hardware (Idaho/Solano) and RTD Hardware (far north Valley Dr): I visit hardware stores a lot and I hate the vast enormity of the big-box retailers. Hayden's is very small and they don't have everything, but the people there are so friendly and always direct me right to what I'm looking for. I'm afraid they won't be there much longer, it's only a matter of time. RTD is out of the way, but is also a mini-size version of the big box retailers, except with personal service. If big-box stores freak you out, try RTD.

ReStore: This is run by Habitat by Humanity and is largely volunteer-based. Huge selection of hardware, tile, furniture, housewares, electronics, plumbing fixtures, doors, and more. Most stuff is used, but some is donated brand new (unsold merchandise from Sutherland's and other businesses). I've yet to walk out of there empty handed. Good stuff, good prices.

Big Daddy Flea Market: a junk shopper's dream come true. This is like a yard sale x 100. Out of the way along Highway 70, but worth the trip. I usually spend 2-3 hours here. If I really don't find anything I need, there's always the produce market where you can get some great deals on fruits & veggies.

Downtown Mesilla: this is probably my *favorite* place around LC. The old architecture, the regional specialties. Funny, I had gone there several times and never even noticed the book store right in the town square. Between this place and Coas, avid readers have nothing to complain about. I actually almost never buy anything in Mesilla - it's pretty touristy - but I enjoy walking around taking pictures. Also, the Fountain Theater shows non-mainstream (independent & foreign) films on weekends.

Downtown Farmer's Market: I usually only go there during the summer for the fresh produce. The rest of the year it's mostly local crafts which are probably more interesting for tourists. Still, I did buy a pair of earrings there last winter. Whether you buy anything or not, it's a fun way to spend a couple of hours on Saturday morning. Sometimes there's live music or other performance going on.

So what are your favorite places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 12:07 AM

1,399 posts, read 4,180,329 times
I've written a couple times about Vintage. It's a great place. They serve ONLY New Mexico wines, by the glass, bottle or in tasting flights. A very appealing thing is that they get some of the North New Mexico wines that never get to retailers down here...particularly Milagro Vineyards, which makes terrific Zinfandel, Cabernet and Chardonnay.
Between Vintage, the Luna Rossa tasting room and the St. Clair Bistro you can visit Mesilla and taste a lot of fine New Mexico wines of many styles and prices.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:46 PM

3 posts, read 9,327 times
Default Rahab

Have you tried the Red Mountain Cafe near the post office behind Sam's? Their Greek (Olympic, Mediterranean) salad if very good. They have wine and speciality coffees also.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:55 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,700,760 times
Lulu - It's next to the St. Clair Bistro. They have a ton of cool stuff and I could do all my gift shopping there. My favorite store in LC!

Spirit Winds - Has some cool gifts

Si Italian Bistro - On Idaho, behind Albertson's. Great italian food & pizzas.

Toucan Market - It's a small grocery store with a lot of organic stuff & a good wine selection.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:47 PM

702 posts, read 2,295,760 times
Thanks for the suggestions - many of these places I've passed many times but never stopped by.

Funky, there's another Lulu right in the Mesilla Plaza that has lots of little goodies and interesting things. I haven't been to the other Lulu yet.

I'm torn over Toucan Market. They have wonderful products and the most interesting beer selection in Las Cruces, but so pricy it's almost a joke. Worse than Wild Oats. It gives "natural and healthy" foods a bad reputation. I was in there recently and a woman bought $500 worth of wine! Come on! The owner wheeled it out to her car on a big cart. Still, their "clearance produce" cart is a deal! I've found marked down produce super cheap, nothing wrong with it. I do not like that they package it all on styrofoam trays - not necessary.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:23 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnord View Post
Thanks for the suggestions - many of these places I've passed many times but never stopped by.

Funky, there's another Lulu right in the Mesilla Plaza that has lots of little goodies and interesting things. I haven't been to the other Lulu yet.

I'm torn over Toucan Market. They have wonderful products and the most interesting beer selection in Las Cruces, but so pricy it's almost a joke. Worse than Wild Oats. It gives "natural and healthy" foods a bad reputation. I was in there recently and a woman bought $500 worth of wine! Come on! The owner wheeled it out to her car on a big cart. Still, their "clearance produce" cart is a deal! I've found marked down produce super cheap, nothing wrong with it. I do not like that they package it all on styrofoam trays - not necessary.
You just summarized the dilemma most have when weighing options when it comes to food, vis a vis the "Wal Mart Supercenter" option. Unless these prices are more competitive, I can't afford to shop at Toucan regularly. Would I prefer to? You betcha! Is it practical? No.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:22 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,700,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnord View Post

The Lulu right on the plaza has a smaller selection so I usually go to the one next to St. Clair.

As for the prices at toucan, their produce is frequently a lot cheaper than either Wal-Mart or Albertson's. I suppose some other items there might be more expensive (part of which is probably due to higher quality product). But I'd rather spend a little more at a local place than save some money and send my money to China or wherever.

And I suppose anyone could spend $500 on wine depending on what wines they want to buy. I worked at a restaurant that had a $1,500 bottle of wine.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:57 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,954,930 times
My Favorite Place is COAS:MY BOOK STORE in the Downtown mall.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:17 PM

180 posts, read 457,240 times
Alice the Burrito Lady on Madrid at Solano. Oh my!! Her Burritos are huge...and all tortillas are homemade right in front of you!

I was recommended by a friend...and it's a new Gem in my book!!

Old 01-08-2009, 10:15 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberLynn View Post
Alice the Burrito Lady on Madrid at Solano. Oh my!! Her Burritos are huge...and all tortillas are homemade right in front of you!

I was recommended by a friend...and it's a new Gem in my book!!
I heard about this place too! What are their hours?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces