Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 07:15 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,180,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
I feel so for the people who lived there, who live in fear of being gunned down, who are essentially trapped by the drug cartel. It's so sad.

No way will we be going, and in fact, I am sending this thread to my parents...
If you/they want to go to Mexico, drive to El Paso, get on a plane and fly somewhere like Guadalajara, Oaxaca, Mexico City, or a dozen other wonderful places in a wonderful country.
On it's best day, Juarez or other border towns aren't really like the rest of Mexico, thank God.
I used to regularly visit some of the worst neighborhoods in Juarez to do business (with zero problems), and frequently drove over for dinner, etc. No mas, until crazy things get reined in. The bales and bales of American dollars from the US drug trade have a hugely corrupting influence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 08:20 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
If you/they want to go to Mexico, drive to El Paso, get on a plane and fly somewhere like Guadalajara, Oaxaca, Mexico City, or a dozen other wonderful places in a wonderful country.
On it's best day, Juarez or other border towns aren't really like the rest of Mexico, thank God.
I used to regularly visit some of the worst neighborhoods in Juarez to do business (with zero problems), and frequently drove over for dinner, etc. No mas, until crazy things get reined in. The bales and bales of American dollars from the US drug trade have a hugely corrupting influence.
Agreed. It's a shame that many Americans judge a country on border towns. If someone from Windsor Canada went over the Ambassador Bridge, and decided that Detroit was representative of America, you could see how someone might think that traveler was misinformed, similarly.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:17 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
It sounds like what the days of Al Capone must have been like, only worse. I know a lot of you thought I was old enough to remember those days, but not quite.

Nita

Old 11-29-2009, 06:12 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
BBC NEWS | Americas | On patrol in Mexico's most dangerous city

Though this is not about Las Cruces directly, I do believe it's relevant to a degree, seeing that Juarez is about 50 miles from here.
Yesterday they shot an 11 month old baby in the head. It's difficult to understand why the criminal cartels are using their children as shields and killing children of the other side.

Still -- the only Americans that have been killed over there were involved in some way in crimes or are very recent immigrants who go back often for whatever reason, partying to be a big reason. No innocent American tourist has been killed yet. That might be because innocent American tourists aren't going too often but there are still American church workers going there to build houses and work with the very poor, none have been killed.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:23 PM

864 posts, read 1,721,092 times
Nothing will change until the country really decides that it needs to. Declare martial law and give the police permission to shoot anybody they suspect is involved in the drug cartel and back them up with the military. I'm sure the police know who the players are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
View detailed profiles of: