Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 05:16 PM

71 posts, read 305,979 times

Advertisements

I can't decide if I should bring my laptop w/ me when I go to Vegas or not. Are there computers in some of the hotels you can pay to use the internet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 05:29 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawagners View Post
I can't decide if I should bring my laptop w/ me when I go to Vegas or not. Are there computers in some of the hotels you can pay to use the internet?
Bring your laptop. Most hotels have internet rooms but are very expensive.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:01 PM

932 posts, read 2,348,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawagners View Post
A lot of hotels charge between $10 and $15 daily for Internet access in their rooms. Others have a flat-rate resort fee, which includes Internet access and other amenities (such as a newspaper, fitness center access, etc.).
A cheaper option, if you have a rental car: Go to the nearest public library and use one of their computers for free. There is a library on Flamingo near Maryland Parkway if you're staying on the Strip. If you're downtown, there is one on Las Vegas Boulevard across from Cashman Center.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:19 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owelles View Post
A lot of hotels charge between $10 and $15 daily for Internet access in their rooms. Others have a flat-rate resort fee, which includes Internet access and other amenities (such as a newspaper, fitness center access, etc.).
A cheaper option, if you have a rental car: Go to the nearest public library and use one of their computers for free. There is a library on Flamingo near Maryland Parkway if you're staying on the Strip. If you're downtown, there is one on Las Vegas Boulevard across from Cashman Center.
Wander around and see what you find. All sorts of people let you in for free. Actually if you pull up to my back fence your in...

Published spots see...

Free WI FI Hotspots in Las Vegas

Old 06-30-2010, 06:25 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,245,008 times
Not sure where you are staying, but you should know that McCarran has free wifi access at least. All the hotels I stay (Marriott mostly) have free wifi.

Olecapt, I hope you arent opening up your wifi for the world to piggyback on. I hope you have just a DMZ or something. I used to be an avid wardriver.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:55 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraynard Kruger View Post
Not sure where you are staying, but you should know that McCarran has free wifi access at least. All the hotels I stay (Marriott mostly) have free wifi.

Olecapt, I hope you arent opening up your wifi for the world to piggyback on. I hope you have just a DMZ or something. I used to be an avid wardriver.
YOu can have a good time around here. Not just open access but a Verizon femto tower. However neither is very abusable because the host pays reasonable attention and the physical layout makes wardriving quite difficult. You could of course circle the cul de sac. Or drive around it. But stop for more than a few minutes and you attract attention. You could however have fun for an hour or so...we often have lunchers under our backyard trees. Sometimes two.

YOu could however live close by and use a directional antenna. But that is pretty sophisticated and I know most in range.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:30 PM

422 posts, read 1,084,981 times
I had to secure my router because twice I got notices from Cox Security saying I was in violation of copyright infringement. The Recording Industry notified Cox that my I P address was targeted as reproducing or distributing an unauthorized copy of a copyrighted sound recording. I was baffled and knew it wasn't me. When I called Cox Security they asked me if my router was secured. It wasn't, but it is now. Someone in the area was 'piggy backing' my service. Cox threatened to disconnect my service if they were notified again.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
YOu can have a good time around here. Not just open access but a Verizon femto tower. However neither is very abusable because the host pays reasonable attention and the physical layout makes wardriving quite difficult. You could of course circle the cul de sac. Or drive around it. But stop for more than a few minutes and you attract attention. You could however have fun for an hour or so...we often have lunchers under our backyard trees. Sometimes two.

YOu could however live close by and use a directional antenna. But that is pretty sophisticated and I know most in range.
Ha! I used an assortment of various cans (ozark waveguides) for my directional antenna at one time! I never did anything nefarious, just helped geocode wifi locations in my area. Now Google can have that job. It's not as fascinating to me anymore now that wifi is ubiquitous.

I still get a kick out of some people's SSID names.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:44 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,837,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Wander around and see what you find. All sorts of people let you in for free. Actually if you pull up to my back fence your in...
Whats the address there?

Old 06-30-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyhateme View Post
I had to secure my router because twice I got notices from Cox Security saying I was in violation of copyright infringement. The Recording Industry notified Cox that my I P address was targeted as reproducing or distributing an unauthorized copy of a copyrighted sound recording. I was baffled and knew it wasn't me. When I called Cox Security they asked me if my router was secured. It wasn't, but it is now. Someone in the area was 'piggy backing' my service. Cox threatened to disconnect my service if they were notified again.
Good thing you caught that.

Why does anyone need Netflix or iTunes when you have neighbors with Linksys default settings?

I have made an effort to notify anyone in my hood that there are people that often use unsecured networks for this sort of thing. I used to catch realtors using my neighbors all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas