Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2010, 01:01 AM

54 posts, read 121,814 times

Advertisements

Hi Las Vegans, great day today, huh? Hope you all enjoyed it. Just have a question:

So hopefully we'll be closing on a home soon and we were told by our realtor that we would probably have to pay for the utility bills since the day we went under contract - almost 2 months now. Thereafter we will be credited by the seller.

... Is that true?

Thing is the 2 AC units are always set on 72. It's a 2500sqft home with the pool pumps running so we're dreading the AC bill.

Shouldn't the seller just pay for it up front? Why all the "you pay for it first then we'll pay you back" hoopla? Just creates complications.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 05:02 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,320,287 times
How can you pay the utilities when they have not been transferred into your name? Or have they?

Old 08-09-2010, 05:49 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,212,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maharlika View Post
Hi Las Vegans, great day today, huh? Hope you all enjoyed it. Just have a question:

So hopefully we'll be closing on a home soon and we were told by our realtor that we would probably have to pay for the utility bills since the day we went under contract - almost 2 months now. Thereafter we will be credited by the seller.

... Is that true?

Thing is the 2 AC units are always set on 72. It's a 2500sqft home with the pool pumps running so we're dreading the AC bill.

Shouldn't the seller just pay for it up front? Why all the "you pay for it first then we'll pay you back" hoopla? Just creates complications.
NO. Seller pays unless a different and unusual arrangement is made.

There are circumstances where I might recommend that a buyer pick up the utilities early...particularly to protect nice landscaping and swimming pools. But that is a very unusual situation.

Your agent is not representing the seller as well is he? The normal on REOs is for the sellers agent to pick up the cost which is reimbursed by the seller at the close of escrow.

There is really no circumstance where an unoccupied house should be set at 72...dumb whoever is paying. 85 maybe...

Old 08-09-2010, 01:59 PM

458 posts, read 1,671,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maharlika View Post

... Is that true?

That's the weirdest thing I've ever heard. No way would I pay utilities on a house I didn't own. That's crazy!

Old 08-09-2010, 07:00 PM

54 posts, read 121,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post

There is really no circumstance where an unoccupied house should be set at 72...dumb whoever is paying. 85 maybe...
I know, right?! I was tempted to change it to at least 80 after the home inspection but our realtor told us we're not allowed to do that.

Thanks for the responses, everyone. Spoke to our realtor again today and I guess I misunderstood because she said we won't have to pay utilities until we own the house. I distinctly remember her saying that, though. Maybe she meant that once the current month's bill comes after closing we'll have to pay for it first then be reimbursed thereafter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas