Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 04:39 PM

294 posts, read 1,334,703 times

Advertisements

I am an avid rider and I do see quite a few people riding when im there, but who here rides and what do you think about it? Does it get boring riding in a flat desert or do you ever find some twistys? Atving would be great if you could find some dunes but it seems to be rocky? Any areas, roads, trails ect that anyone knows about would help out alot. I'll have a new bike within 3 months if we decide to stay. Riding all year round must be great too. I ride mostly sportbikes but I don't discriminate so hit me up if you wan't to ride!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 06:58 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,215,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billeethakid View Post
I am an avid rider and I do see quite a few people riding when im there, but who here rides and what do you think about it? Does it get boring riding in a flat desert or do you ever find some twistys? Atving would be great if you could find some dunes but it seems to be rocky? Any areas, roads, trails ect that anyone knows about would help out alot. I'll have a new bike within 3 months if we decide to stay. Riding all year round must be great too. I ride mostly sportbikes but I don't discriminate so hit me up if you wan't to ride!

Hmmm...had the thought of rejecting you for the lovely lady. Now I think I may have been correct. Around here we throw rocks at the ATVs for making too much noise and spooking the horses.

Yeah I am only kidding but there is an ongoing local battle between the horse folk and the ATV/bike riders. An it is interesting because many are in both camps. Right next to the stable you see the ATVs parked.

If however you get out a little ways you will find that there is lots of interesting places to ride. There are even dunes around. When you get here tie up with one of the local clubs...\\

In the interim do not ride loudly around the rural streets...rocks will come over those six feet walls. Or at least a hose. Two years ago I actually got a real good hit on a wise ass teenager doing wheelies on a bike behind my house. Asked him nicely to stop. He said he would. Then came roaring back in for a last pass. Got him square with the hose from about 12 feet away. Then I called his parents to report he was being a jerk. Loved it. I knew he would make one last pass.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:15 PM

201 posts, read 964,553 times
I'm an avid rider, mostly off-road although my bike is a street legal dual sport. Belong to a local dualsport riding group and the off-road riding out here is spectacular.

Rode sportbikes for many years including lots of track days. Will most likely get another one although out here street riding and driving for that matter is dangerous.

PM me if you want the link to the DS group I belong to, as well as another group for both off-road and street riders.

DSCF0591.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Old 07-16-2007, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejl127 View Post
I'm an avid rider, mostly off-road although my bike is a street legal dual sport. Belong to a local dualsport riding group and the off-road riding out here is spectacular.

Rode sportbikes for many years including lots of track days. Will most likely get another one although out here street riding and driving for that matter is dangerous.

PM me if you want the link to the DS group I belong to, as well as another group for both off-road and street riders.

DSCF0591.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Looks like a couple of drz's. I just got rid of a 400sm black on black, I was going to go with the Husqvarna SMR510 but I'm going to wait till they rid the bugs and goto aluminum frame and fuel injection. I did a few track days on the DRZ, it was fun but nothing like hopping on a *** sportbike. I will def be interested in some riding with you guys if I stay, ill PM you. --Bill

Old 07-16-2007, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Hmmm...had the thought of rejecting you for the lovely lady. Now I think I may have been correct. Around here we throw rocks at the ATVs for making too much noise and spooking the horses.

Yeah I am only kidding but there is an ongoing local battle between the horse folk and the ATV/bike riders. An it is interesting because many are in both camps. Right next to the stable you see the ATVs parked.

If however you get out a little ways you will find that there is lots of interesting places to ride. There are even dunes around. When you get here tie up with one of the local clubs...\\

In the interim do not ride loudly around the rural streets...rocks will come over those six feet walls. Or at least a hose. Two years ago I actually got a real good hit on a wise ass teenager doing wheelies on a bike behind my house. Asked him nicely to stop. He said he would. Then came roaring back in for a last pass. Got him square with the hose from about 12 feet away. Then I called his parents to report he was being a jerk. Loved it. I knew he would make one last pass.
I don't condone ******* riders either, but everyone has there place, and both must be respected. As far as the vert, I choose to keep my bikes reasonably quiet, don't like to be to conspicuous. Plus really loud bikes usually aren’t tasteful. Horseback riding is cool too. We go a few times a year up at Lake Luzzurne, good times.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:17 PM

201 posts, read 964,553 times
Yup, both DRZ's. The yellow is mine. My bud has the SM setup for his. I'm saving to do that for mine and then hit the track again. Black on black is serious drool factor. Why'd you sell? The Husky's are nice and I agree with your points. My wife who rides is lusting for the Aprilia SXV450. Can't say I blame her

I lived here briefly in 02' and had a ZX7. Plenty of good twisties if you know where to go.

Evan

Quote:
Originally Posted by billeethakid View Post
Looks like a couple of drz's. I just got rid of a 400sm black on black, I was going to go with the Husqvarna SMR510 but I'm going to wait till they rid the bugs and goto aluminum frame and fuel injection. I did a few track days on the DRZ, it was fun but nothing like hopping on a *** sportbike. I will def be interested in some riding with you guys if I stay, ill PM you. --Bill

Old 07-16-2007, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejl127 View Post
Yup, both DRZ's. The yellow is mine. My bud has the SM setup for his. I'm saving to do that for mine and then hit the track again. Black on black is serious drool factor. Why'd you sell? The Husky's are nice and I agree with your points. My wife who rides is lusting for the Aprilia SXV450. Can't say I blame her

I lived here briefly in 02' and had a ZX7. Plenty of good twisties if you know where to go.

Evan
After being on Sportbikes so much and owning a couple 450 offroads, the 400 felt kind of anemic. It was a good reliable bike but way too heavy and underpowered compared to the opposition. The SXV450 is nice but I would opt for the 550 being that it will stretch its legs a little better on the straights. The huskys are no joke, a 510 would no doubt hang with my 636 till 65-70 which is altleast the end of first gear I just dont like the tube frame and carbed setup, i feel that we should all have FI now, and thats where the Aprilia comes in but 9k??? I'll wait. 9 grand will get me a nice 600, and $4000 will buy another nice CFR450 or whatever for the dirt. Keep in touch, I def need riding buddy's out there, or any buddys for that matter.. --Bill

Old 07-16-2007, 10:49 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,463,479 times
You want sand dunes 100s of feet high?

Dumont Dunes Off-Highway Vehicle Area, Barstow Field Office, Bureau of Land Management California

From Vegas, take the highway to Pahrump, turn left (west) on road to Shoshone, Calif (gateway to Death Valley), then at Shoshone turn left (south) and travel about 30 minutes and watch for the signs (left turn). Amazing dune field open to motor sports. Visit AFTER the summer's mostly over.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:28 AM

2,404 posts, read 10,689,706 times
Lots of people go and ride off of US-95 south of the split of 93/95 between Henderson and Boulder City, there's a lot of desert out there...

Old 07-17-2007, 12:30 PM

thanks for all the info guys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas