Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2010, 01:11 PM

581 posts, read 921,144 times

Advertisements

I have several friends who have lived in LV for many years and most of them drive back to California for their routine health care. So my question to the forum would be how has your experience been with the local healthcare.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 01:40 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,319,896 times
My recent experience as a new resident of a month is to discover the number of Ob/GYN's is tremendously reduced. Then it was explained to me that Nevada raised the limits necessary they must maintain on their malpractice insurance so a good portion of them relocated to other states. It took some good personal medical connections to get me an appointment. On my own, I was being told they were either not accepting new patients or would not accept self pay patients only on Medicare.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:56 PM

1,631 posts, read 3,952,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murfslaw View Post
I have several friends who have lived in LV for many years and most of them drive back to California for their routine health care. So my question to the forum would be how has your experience been with the local healthcare.

Thanks

This article from our local Sun news paper will shed some light on how our hospitals are here.
[SIZE=4]Do No Harm: Hospital Care in Las Vegas - Latest Stories - Las ...[/SIZE]
A Sun investigation found that lethal “superbugs” are infecting thousands of patients in local hospitals. The analysis of hospital billing records ...

Old 09-13-2010, 02:53 PM

458 posts, read 1,671,053 times
Not great healthcare here. Individual insurance is also very bad and very expensive.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:59 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,245,008 times
There are pockets of good health care, but for the majority of the population they deal with doctors that are dealing with common issues.

If you come down with something more bizzare, the best hospital is found via the airport.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:30 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murfslaw View Post
I have several friends who have lived in LV for many years and most of them drive back to California for their routine health care. So my question to the forum would be how has your experience been with the local health care.

Thanks
You hear that all the time about LA is always better in whatever the subject is. Tain't so. It's easy to make generalizations about things we aren't really educated enough to judge, and health care never gets a fair shake in any town. Doctors are human and they can't perform miracles. It's all subjective. People die in LA hospitals all the time.

If it weren't for some doctors here I'd be dead. But on the other hand, if it weren't for a couple of other doctors I might not have gotten that close to kicking the bucket in the first place. I'd at least be a lot better off. I imagine health care here is as good as anywhere, and probably better, from the horror stories I hear from friends and relatives around the country. I know that if you have to have heart surgery you'll want to go to Sunrise where they have all the best equipment. I've also been well taken care of at UMC, while Mountainview, Valley, and Desert Springs leave a lot to be desired. But if you get the wrong doctor wherever you are, you might want to bend over and put your head between your legs.

After being rescued from the jaws of death, two of my cardiologists from one of the best practices in town, arranged for me to see a guy at Cedars-Sinai in Beverly Hills. He was a personal friend of one of them, and he had been featured on a PBS documentary about some heart research he was doing. He gave me a possible reason for what had happened to me, added one more prescription to what I had already been given, and sent me home. I later relayed what he had told me to my electrophysiologist, a young guy that reminds me of Doogie Howser, and is the best cardiologist in town. His specialty is electrophysiology. He disagreed with what I'd been told. Then said that researchers may be good at research, but they seldom see enough patients to keep up with everyday medicine.

So I feel better off here than in Beverly Hills. Especially after some recent negative news stories about that hospital.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:47 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
I have been carved on and worked on a good bit here. And in fact am just recovering from a bad experience.

In my judgement the place is similar to a suburb of LA. Has about the same quantity and quality of Doctors. A bit further from the super hospitals of LA perhaps....but not a lot.

I think I might go back to LA if I had to have open heart surgery. Other than that I probably would fight it out here. There is always the exception. My good friend in the best part of LA went to Houston with his brain tumor. Killed him anyway by the way.

If I had a bad heart attack or a similar catastrophe I would just as soon UMC as anywhere in LA.

So unless you pick up something exotic it is just fine. And if it is exotic go wherever they fix exotic.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:14 PM

159 posts, read 360,017 times
Wasn't there some incident in Vegas not too long ago where people were infected with hepatitis?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas