Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 12:10 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,041,460 times

Advertisements

It's cricket season. They are all over the place right now. They will be gone in a few more weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 12:39 AM

1,460 posts, read 2,809,082 times
I love crickets. You can pick them up and buy them a little cricket habitat. They eat potato slices. The males sing at night.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:08 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,291,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post
I love crickets. You can pick them up and buy them a little cricket habitat. They eat potato slices. The males sing at night.
Aha! It's always the males that make the noise and drive people crazy. Thanks for the confirmation.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:13 AM

92 posts, read 184,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kms234 View Post
I live in a one year old complex in Henderson. I have to deal with a cricket getting in almost daily. It's hard to find them(unless it's in a bathroom) and the chirping drives me insane all night. I had them bug spray our door entrances but it didn't work. I have a child so chemicals like that don't work for me in general for safety. Neighbors have had the same problem and it's always worse the day after lawn maintenace is here. Is it due to being near a pool? Ground floor? We also get tiny tiny red ants if so much as a cheerio is left on the floor on accident. The apartment is super clean so it drives me crazy because it's hard to find the crckets, sometimes they sound to be under the carpetting or in corners but are not visible. Also notice we get huge roaches in bathrooms if tub/sink drains are not left closed overnight. Is this normal? What can I do? The place is new, kept up well and expensive so I'm angry we have the constant chirping!
I'm curious to know what apt. complex, since I will be looking to move into an apt. in Henderson soon. Is it by chance Verona? I read somebody else complain about crickets there....that said, I live in a "condo" complex near there, and we had a HORRIBLE issue with crickets. I would get 10-15 of them a night hopping around the kitchen. I hired a pest control guy to come out every month and I rarely see them now.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:42 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,041,460 times
I found a cricket in my closet last night. He was singing like crazy. I've always heard they are good luck.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:02 AM

92 posts, read 184,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I found a cricket in my closet last night. He was singing like crazy. I've always heard they are good luck.
I have to say, I used to LOVE the sound of crickets at night. Once you find dozens of them hopping around your kitchen every night, and the sound of the ones hiding behind the cupboards is piercing, the sound loses it's quaint charm....

Old 01-20-2011, 01:00 AM

6 posts, read 20,607 times
Update: I now use Home Defense granuals monthly outdoors lining the apartment. It has helped with crickets to where we only get two-three per month now. I also spray the same brand around doors and in kitchen under fridge and oven areas.

As far as the tiny red ants? They never stop! I constantly find groups surrounding a tiny crumb or just see them marching along baseboards in the hundreds. I am at a loss. Our neighbors all have ant issues too so I'm assuming there isn't much more I can do. Every week , maybe two weeks max I find them in another area. I mop and steam mop daily as well as vacuum carpeted areas twice daily. All food is sealed and all counters and surfaces wiped down. Is it likely they are under the entire two closest building? Coming from next door? It seems odd for them to come looking for the tiniest thing when there is a dumpster outside and I'm sure plenty of apartments that aren't nearly as clean. Would moving up to a higher floor help vs ground floor?

I'm tired of spraying these chemicals while having a young child near them. But if they hardly work why would something natural?

Old 01-20-2011, 01:28 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,491,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kms234 View Post
I live in a one year old complex in Henderson. I have to deal with a cricket getting in almost daily. It's hard to find them(unless it's in a bathroom) and the chirping drives me insane all night. I had them bug spray our door entrances but it didn't work. I have a child so chemicals like that don't work for me in general for safety. Neighbors have had the same problem and it's always worse the day after lawn maintenace is here. Is it due to being near a pool? Ground floor? We also get tiny tiny red ants if so much as a cheerio is left on the floor on accident. The apartment is super clean so it drives me crazy because it's hard to find the crckets, sometimes they sound to be under the carpetting or in corners but are not visible. Also notice we get huge roaches in bathrooms if tub/sink drains are not left closed overnight. Is this normal? What can I do? The place is new, kept up well and expensive so I'm angry we have the constant chirping!
I lived in Henderson over the summer. Although I didn't experience the cricket problem in Nevada, I saw them everywhere driving through the plains states going home. It was so bad in Nebraska that I was going to stop at a HoJo for the night, but once I saw thousands of crickets all over the outside of the room, I said screw it and kept on driving.

On the other hand, I had a major roach problem while living in Henderson. My apartment was in a relatively new building, but the roaches were everywhere at night, outside and inside. I would be sitting on the couch in dim light and see them jumping across the carpet, crawling on the walls, in the sink, tub, and on my desk. It was terrible. Being from Michigan, I had never experienced anything like this. I started spraying everything in bleach, including the roaches. It did little good. In my last month there, I started sleeping with the lights on hoping they'd leave me alone. I moved all my furniture away from the walls so they couldn't get from the wall to my furniture. I even had one inside my TV set and when it walked across the glass on the inside, it looked huge! I threw almost everything out before coming home. I even had my car thoroughly cleaned because I had one jump on my hand when I was driving at night. I almost crashed, but just kept praying they didn't nest somewhere inside the vehicle. I don't know how you folks deal with it! I'm not even usually phased by insects, but this was ridiculous. I've seen roaches where I live in Detroit, but only outside, in small numbers, and usually near a dumpster. Right now it's -10 outside here, but at least I know all the bugs are dead!

Old 01-20-2011, 03:17 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,291,990 times
The only roaches we deal with are the giant summertime one's. Actually the Bug Bully now deals with them. Since they spray every month in the hot weather, the most I've ever seen since then are maybe 2 all season.

Sounds to me like that apt complex was totally infested. It takes just one person to move in with roaches and soon the entire building is crawling with them. I flat out refuse to live with them! It would drive me insane. The cats would probably love it though.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:51 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,121,360 times
GAWD Where is Buddy Holly when you need him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas