Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 04:12 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,291,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
GAWD Where is Buddy Holly when you need him.
Probably in his grave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 09:40 AM

92 posts, read 184,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForStarters View Post
I lived in Henderson over the summer. Although I didn't experience the cricket problem in Nevada, I saw them everywhere driving through the plains states going home. It was so bad in Nebraska that I was going to stop at a HoJo for the night, but once I saw thousands of crickets all over the outside of the room, I said screw it and kept on driving.

On the other hand, I had a major roach problem while living in Henderson. My apartment was in a relatively new building, but the roaches were everywhere at night, outside and inside. I would be sitting on the couch in dim light and see them jumping across the carpet, crawling on the walls, in the sink, tub, and on my desk. It was terrible. Being from Michigan, I had never experienced anything like this. I started spraying everything in bleach, including the roaches. It did little good. In my last month there, I started sleeping with the lights on hoping they'd leave me alone. I moved all my furniture away from the walls so they couldn't get from the wall to my furniture. I even had one inside my TV set and when it walked across the glass on the inside, it looked huge! I threw almost everything out before coming home. I even had my car thoroughly cleaned because I had one jump on my hand when I was driving at night. I almost crashed, but just kept praying they didn't nest somewhere inside the vehicle. I don't know how you folks deal with it! I'm not even usually phased by insects, but this was ridiculous. I've seen roaches where I live in Detroit, but only outside, in small numbers, and usually near a dumpster. Right now it's -10 outside here, but at least I know all the bugs are dead!
OK, this is really not right to tell such a horrible story about an apartment complex in Henderson and not tell us WHICH complex it was. Honestly, I'm going to be moving in the next year so, perhaps into an apartment, in Henderson, and information like this would be REALLY helpful! Please....share the name of the complex! Thanks! Give a fellow Michigander a break!

Old 01-20-2011, 11:19 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,491,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailMI View Post
OK, this is really not right to tell such a horrible story about an apartment complex in Henderson and not tell us WHICH complex it was. Honestly, I'm going to be moving in the next year so, perhaps into an apartment, in Henderson, and information like this would be REALLY helpful! Please....share the name of the complex! Thanks! Give a fellow Michigander a break!
Well, without throwing the apartment complex under the bus, because I don't think it was their fault, but maybe just the area itself, here's generally where I was at. Actually, I was closer to Whitney than Henderson, but still technically Henderson.

Henderson, NV - Google Maps

Around the time I was leaving, people told me that having the exterminator spray kept the roaches in check, but you have to have it done often. I'm not sure if this is true as I wasn't there long enough, but I suspect that they sprayed before I first moved in because I didn't notice them inside until about 3-weeks later.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:54 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,569,569 times
The roaches are all over the city. Doesn't matter how fancy your place is, if you have a source of moisture they will try to get to it. I was never able to get rid of them in the yard but keeping them out of the house wasn't too bad. Just make sure you have screens on all your windows and line the perimeter of your house with boric acid. Take a quick walk around inside and make sure nothing is harboring moisture. Clean out below sinks and keep it dry. Any roaches that make it inside will just dry up and die pretty quick. If your yard doesn't require watering I'd wager they wouldn't even be a problem at all.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
The roaches are all over the city. Doesn't matter how fancy your place is, if you have a source of moisture they will try to get to it. I was never able to get rid of them in the yard but keeping them out of the house wasn't too bad. Just make sure you have screens on all your windows and line the perimeter of your house with boric acid. Take a quick walk around inside and make sure nothing is harboring moisture. Clean out below sinks and keep it dry. Any roaches that make it inside will just dry up and die pretty quick. If your yard doesn't require watering I'd wager they wouldn't even be a problem at all.
Well, those outside ones--the ones that people call water bugs--ARE all over the place. But this post sounded like German roaches the way she described them inside of her house. Those are not everywhere. At least they haven't been in either of the places I've lived, or in any of the places my daughter has lived in Henderson.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForStarters View Post
Well, without throwing the apartment complex under the bus, because I don't think it was their fault, but maybe just the area itself, here's generally where I was at. Actually, I was closer to Whitney than Henderson, but still technically Henderson.

Henderson, NV - Google Maps

Around the time I was leaving, people told me that having the exterminator spray kept the roaches in check, but you have to have it done often. I'm not sure if this is true as I wasn't there long enough, but I suspect that they sprayed before I first moved in because I didn't notice them inside until about 3-weeks later.
Thanks! At least that isn't the vicinity that I'm looking in. And really, if a complex has roaches inside the units, I don't think it's "throwing them under the bus"....it's just giving honest information.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:00 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,362,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kms234 View Post
Update: I now use Home Defense granules monthly outdoors lining the apartment. It has helped with crickets to where we only get two-three per month now. I also spray the same brand around doors and in kitchen under fridge and oven areas.

As far as the tiny red ants? They never stop! I constantly find groups surrounding a tiny crumb or just see them marching along baseboards in the hundreds. I am at a loss. Our neighbors all have ant issues too so I'm assuming there isn't much more I can do. Every week , maybe two weeks max I find them in another area. I mop and steam mop daily as well as vacuum carpeted areas twice daily. All food is sealed and all counters and surfaces wiped down. Is it likely they are under the entire two closest building? Coming from next door? It seems odd for them to come looking for the tiniest thing when there is a dumpster outside and I'm sure plenty of apartments that aren't nearly as clean. Would moving up to a higher floor help vs ground floor?

I'm tired of spraying these chemicals while having a young child near them. But if they hardly work why would something natural?
I've found that newer construction has the most problems with bugs, especially ants, because they were there first. BUT...if you're in an apartment complex why isn't the owner dealing with the bug problem? It's their responsibility, not yours. As far as ants go, you have to give them the right kind of poison that they will take back to the hive. It takes a while, but eventually the hive will be contaminated and you will eventually get the queen. But not all ants eat the same things, so you have to find out what will kill your particular ants. As far as crickets, I've never seen more than one inside at any time. BTW: It's bad luck to kill a cricket in the house. Maybe if you turned loose some spiders they would take care of the problem.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:53 AM

Really Buzz? I must have been the exception to the rule. Before I signed up for monthly service, I was getting 10-15 crickets in my condo every night. It was INSANE. I would have 3-4 of them at a TIME hopping around the kitchen. I'd kill them (OMG can you imagine how much back luck I brought upon mysel??? LOL) and within 15 minutes there would be more. It was truly a cricket bloodbath. The "bug guy" said he got a lot of calls about crickets in this particular condo complex for some reason. Honestly, they were freaking me out. I used to LOVE the sound of crickets at night. Not any more. They're under control now though. Thank goodness...

Oh...and I dislike spiders ALMOST as much as I now dislike crickets....

Old 01-21-2011, 11:45 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,121,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Maybe if you turned loose some spiders they would take care of the problem.
This is what wil happen if you do that..................

I know an old lady who swallowed a fly,
I don't know why she swallowed the fly,
I guess she'll die.

I know an old lady who swallowed a spider,
That wriggled and jiggled and tickled inside her.
She swallowed the spider to catch the fly,
I guess she'll die.

I know an old lady who swallowed a bird,
How absurd to swallow a bird!
She swallowed the bird to catch the spider,
That wriggled and jiggled and tickled inside her,
I guess she'll die.

I know an old lady who swallowed a cat,
Imagine that, to swallow a cat!
She swallowed the cat to catch the bird,
I guess she'll die.

I know an old lady who swallowed a dog,
My, what a hog, to swallow a dog!
She swallowed the dog to catch the cat,
I guess she'll die.

I know an old lady who swallowed a goat,
Just opened her throat and swallowed a goat!
She swallowed the goat to catch the dog,
I guess she'll die.

I know an old lady who swallowed a cow,
I wonder how she swallowed a cow?!
She swallowed the cow to catch the goat,
She swallowed the goat to catch the dog,
I guess she'll die.

I know an old lady who swallowed a horse,
She's dead, of course!!

Old 01-21-2011, 02:17 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,838,016 times
I hope that was a copy and paste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas