Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 11:12 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,600,804 times

Advertisements

About two weeks ago I had tried for an opportunity at a telemarketing center called Four Seasons Business Solutions. Commish was supposed to be $700 per sale. I kind of chickened out per se.

The past few days I had been thinking it over. Has anybody here ever done telemarketing that was commish only? Did you make good money at it? I want to give it another try because I feel like I really missed out now on a very good opportunity to make some serious money
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 02:51 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,086,589 times
I told you long ago to check out telemarketing. Can you make good money? If you can sell. Good news is you can learn to sell just like anything else.

I've paid numerous telemarketers over 100K a year, except they were called "inside sales," same thing, different title. If you want to make the big money, cut your teeth in a couple rooms and copy whatever the top guy does. Move on to progressively more complex sales with the final goal to get into investments.

If you want to see top of the food chain, verified $250k+ gigs, watch the movie The Prime Gig with Vince Vaughn. I ran those rooms for 10+ years and cant count the guys that made 500k+. The trick is keeping it clean and staying out of jail...which is why I got out of it in 2006.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:41 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,077,641 times
Is there money in it? Yes, if you can sell.

If you can sell and have no conscience, you will do well anywhere.

I was in sales/marketing for some time and I did extremely well. HOWEVER, I was selling good products I believed in that worked. They were an integral part of running a business. My clients were smart business people. I worked in mostly the financial industry, banks were my customers. I dealt with the same people over and over and to have continued success, I had to act with integrity. I couldn't just sell them something and run. I had to be able to go back and sell them something else. Back in the early 90's, I was exceeding 3M in yearly quotas.

What I did was a whole different kettle of fish than trying to unload timeshares on Grandma and Grandpa. Many of the sales jobs here involve capitalizing on that love Vegas, lost my brain, vacation mentality, that makes it too easy to convince the hapless tourist to leave a lot more of their money here than they wanted to.

If you feel bad about what you 'sold', you probably should feel bad. If you think you are taking advantage of someone, you probably are. Your conscience will guide you as long as you are willing to listen.

Most 'real' sales jobs pay salary and commission. The more you sell, the more you make. They train you and teach you about their product or service for a period of time before they expect you to meet sales quotas. If you are personable, detail oriented, a good listener, and a great communicator, you can do well. Sales is an honorable career. After all, everyone is selling something. Everyone. Don't ever forget that.

A lot of the commission only sales jobs here, at the entry level, are scamming you into working for nothing. I know a few people who have these jobs who are working 10 hours a day, 7 days a week and making about $300 per week. It's sad.

It won't take you very long to figure out if it's real or a scam. I suggest you take one of these positions part time for a while so you can still keep your other job. One big clue is extreme turnover. If HR has a revolving door and they will hire anyone who is breathing, there is trouble in paradise. A real company with real jobs tries to get the best possible sales force to represent them to their customers. Beware of any company trying to 'sell' you a job. Things are rough here and there are plenty of qualified workers. If they have to hard sell you on working there...huge red flag.

Good luck!

Old 11-25-2010, 06:13 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,318,403 times
I did work for commission only back in the 80's in telemarketing. But I didn't last long. It took me 3 weeks of working for nothing so I got fed up and quit. I think if you want to get into commission only sales jobs, at least have a part time regular job that covers your rent.

Old 11-25-2010, 06:35 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,036,241 times
davie, you need to focus on one type of job and go for it... stop job jumping.. it looks terrible on a resume.

Old 11-25-2010, 07:24 PM

197 posts, read 550,209 times
most are scams if that kind of money was possible you would be doing not asking about it.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:24 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,600,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
davie, you need to focus on one type of job and go for it... stop job jumping.. it looks terrible on a resume.
I dont like to job jump airics. I am well aware that it looks bad on my resume. I havent found anything yet but I have been very agressive as of late in seeking out new opportunities

Old 11-27-2010, 12:24 PM

2,457 posts, read 4,730,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
I don’t agree with that. Most people don’t list the employers on their resume for jobs where they were employed for less than a year. Job experience and education over ten years ago is also pretty much irreverent in today’s work environment.

Old 11-27-2010, 02:41 PM

422 posts, read 1,086,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojavedxer View Post
I don’t agree with that. Most people don’t list the employers on their resume for jobs where they were employed for less than a year. Job experience and education over ten years ago is also pretty much irreverent in today’s work environment.
An application ask for your previous jobs in chronological order and if there's any missing time, they're curious as to why. When I hired people, if they had a job listed every couple months, I assumed they weren't a good employee or they got bored quickly. Turnover is costly to companies and constant movement is a negative in considering someone.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:45 AM

2,457 posts, read 4,730,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyhateme View Post
An application ask for your previous jobs in chronological order and if there's any missing time, they're curious as to why. When I hired people, if they had a job listed every couple months, I assumed they weren't a good employee or they got bored quickly. Turnover is costly to companies and constant movement is a negative in considering someone.
An application and a resume is two different things. When I am considering perspective applicants for hire in my department. I view a short term low wage jobs as temp employment until something better comes along. Typically a bad employee will show up in the background/ employment check as not eligible for rehire on these short term jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas