Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 02:01 PM

12 posts, read 57,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I'm not a dog owner, but I saw something amazing once. A good friend had an aging Great Pyrenees with arthritis. My friend had a baby in diapers at the crawling stage. This baby started to crawl towards the fireplace with a roaring fire in it. The dog, which had been dozing on the floor nearby, stood up, walked over to the baby, grabbed its diaper in its jaws, picked up the baby, walked it over to us, and gently set it down. It went over and laid between the baby & the fireplace.

I'm not sure I would have believed it had I not seen it myself.
My mom had a border collie for a long time when my girls were toddlers, and she was great for corralling them in the yard and keeping them away from the street and dark corners of the large back yard. Herding dogs always strike me as some of the smartest ones out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 02:04 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,136,984 times
I always liked Pyrenees cause they come with a keg of brandy

Old 01-02-2011, 09:45 PM

98 posts, read 542,782 times
I don't know how anyone lives in Las Vegas without a swimming pool. Best (personal) AC around.

I guess my old house must be well insulated because in August I pulled off the (ugly) shutters on the front, south facing, side of the house and kept waiting for a day when it was under 90 to repaint. Even in the early morning when the outside temp was in the 80s that front wall was over 140 (pinned the thermometer!).
The inside temp was always about 20 degrees lower than the outside (I have no functioning AC).

I do have extra deep eaves, the roof overhangs the house about 3' on all sides. I think this helps.

I think my next purchase is going to be replacement windows. The single pane windows with the reflective coating were great in the summer, but my heating bill is going to be crazy this winter!

Old 01-02-2011, 09:54 PM

98 posts, read 542,782 times
As for your driving comment, I was shocked that my insurance rate was going to go up when I moved here... Now I know why; it seems that 1/2 the drivers are drunk. I have never seen so many bad drivers in my life!

I had an "a-ha!" moment soon after moving here when I was dodging scary drivers on the freeway and passing signs for $1 margareetas and bottomless happy hours etc. Not to mention you can play nickel slots and get free booze.
Scary, scary place to drive!

Old 01-03-2011, 12:45 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,228,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winknod View Post
As for your driving comment, I was shocked that my insurance rate was going to go up when I moved here... Now I know why; it seems that 1/2 the drivers are drunk. I have never seen so many bad drivers in my life!
It's too bad there wasn't some system to get the drunk drivers home properly. Seems like there would be a lot of money to make for someone who does that.

(I'm not thinking taxis either). But some other system, either a drunk bus of some kind, or some company that hires a person to drive the drunk home in their own car - but has someone else follow them to bring them back.

Seems like there has got to be some system or business opportunity somewhere in there - and it would make a mint.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:29 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,303,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I'm not a dog owner, but I saw something amazing once. A good friend had an aging Great Pyrenees with arthritis. My friend had a baby in diapers at the crawling stage. This baby started to crawl towards the fireplace with a roaring fire in it. The dog, which had been dozing on the floor nearby, stood up, walked over to the baby, grabbed its diaper in its jaws, picked up the baby, walked it over to us, and gently set it down. It went over and laid between the baby & the fireplace.

I'm not sure I would have believed it had I not seen it myself.
That is cool about the dog. Animals are very intelligent. Many people think they are just dumb animals. The people thinking that way are the dumb one's.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
It's too bad there wasn't some system to get the drunk drivers home properly. Seems like there would be a lot of money to make for someone who does that.

(I'm not thinking taxis either). But some other system, either a drunk bus of some kind, or some company that hires a person to drive the drunk home in their own car - but has someone else follow them to bring them back.

Seems like there has got to be some system or business opportunity somewhere in there - and it would make a mint.
There is a company or two out here that will drive the drunk person home in their car, while the other car follows to get the driver back to help more and so on. Costs about $50-$75 I think. Small price to pay for peace of mind and no nights in jail.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:32 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,228,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
There is a company or two out here that will drive the drunk person home in their car, while the other car follows to get the driver back to help more and so on. Costs about $50-$75 I think. Small price to pay for peace of mind and no nights in jail.
Damn, that is too expensive.

Actually, here in Japan, they have the same system, but it is done by taxi drivers. Late at night, they travel in pairs of two, one drives the car home, the other follows in the taxi. It is at taxi fare rates though.

That system sounds much more than a taxi. Which means, might be better to just take the taxi, and have someone else bring you back to get your car the next day. It seems to me anyways.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:58 AM

Yes,or take the bus. Even cheaper.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:34 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,644,960 times
I'm a condo-only type of guy, so a lot of those issues don't really apply for me. You're not going to have your car stolen out of a condo parking garage with 24 hour security, in general. I live in L.A. and I have never once been worried about car theft. The idea to me is kind of laughable. I very rarely park anywhere the car is out of sight for long, and I never drive to areas that are dangerous. For the most part, people make a big deal about crime when even in the worst cities it's probably only the worst 10% of that city that has any real issues. I have only felt unsafe in L.A. one time, when I got assaulted downtown, it was kind of a fluke thing and the guy took off when he realized I could defend myself, but besides that it's no big deal.

What I hear of crime in Vegas, though, yeah I'm glad I'm moving to a protected condo not a suburb. I hate the 'burbs anyway, lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas