Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 08:45 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times

Advertisements

YES.....in MANY HOA's....hopefully in more. [not a pit fan]
My stepson brought home a 5 week old Shar Pei[Chinese Pit Bull]
Raised in a VERY loving family with two other dogs for 18 months...NEVER any violence...not even a loud voice.
One day he decided he didnt like my wifes Sheltie and he went for his throat.
Wife an I managed to puill him off and step son was given one hour to get rid of him in any way possible.
I will NEVER have another bull type
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 10:27 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
The more common limit is on weight. Very hard to pin down exactly what is a pit bull.

Most dangerous dog I have encountered was a husky. Who was literally mad.

Perfectly normal loving dog for days and then would attack someone.

I thought him so dangerous that he should be put down. And he weighed 75 or 80 lbs. The owner had a dog psychologist in to consult correcting the dogs behavior. The guy recommended putting the dog down.

Was still around the last I heard. Kept locked up. They loved the damn thing.

Last edited by olecapt; 01-01-2011 at 10:56 AM..

Old 01-01-2011, 10:54 AM

323 posts, read 788,371 times
My car got stolen a little over 2 years ago.. It was frustrating because they found it like 5 miles up the street. Caused me so much stress for a 5 mile joyride.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:38 PM

11 posts, read 22,423 times
- It'll take 45 minutes to drive from 215 and GVR to Floyd Lamb park. Possibly longer, if you get stuck in traffic.
- No ban on pit bulls. They're good dogs, if they're well-bred and have experienced owners.

- Adam
Las Vegas Dog Training - Las Vegas Dog Training

Old 01-01-2011, 07:11 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,568,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
YES.....in MANY HOA's....hopefully in more. [not a pit fan]
My stepson brought home a 5 week old Shar Pei[Chinese Pit Bull]
Raised in a VERY loving family with two other dogs for 18 months...NEVER any violence...not even a loud voice.
One day he decided he didnt like my wifes Sheltie and he went for his throat.
Wife an I managed to puill him off and step son was given one hour to get rid of him in any way possible.
I will NEVER have another bull type
Shar Pei's are known for being touchy. I'm not too surprised. I have owned muts my whole life. They are healthier, happier and not inbred. Really a no brainer.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:15 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
I'm not a dog owner, but I saw something amazing once. A good friend had an aging Great Pyrenees with arthritis. My friend had a baby in diapers at the crawling stage. This baby started to crawl towards the fireplace with a roaring fire in it. The dog, which had been dozing on the floor nearby, stood up, walked over to the baby, grabbed its diaper in its jaws, picked up the baby, walked it over to us, and gently set it down. It went over and laid between the baby & the fireplace.

I'm not sure I would have believed it had I not seen it myself.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:49 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethp8 View Post
* Whatever house you buy will likely have crappy insulation that will render your A/C useless on the south side of the house in August. As much as you pick your neighborhood and landscaping, think about the climate when you are house shopping.
That's an interesting one. So, I guess if you could, the garage facing on the south side would be the most ideal?

Old 01-02-2011, 09:34 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
That's an interesting one. So, I guess if you could, the garage facing on the south side would be the most ideal?
In the ideal world, the house's south & west sides would be all wall (insulated, of course) with no windows. Then, I'd add a polar shade to the exterior to keep the direct sun from actually shining on the exterior of the house. That will cut down on solar heat gain. In the winter, I'd roll up the shade.

I might consider painting the house with a special paint called "COOLWALL" that reduces solar gain and according to their literature has been tested by US Dept. of Energy & concluded it can reduce AC costs by as much as about 20%. I saw this on www.costco.com website and did some follow up research. It seems very worthwhile, but I haven't spoken to an actual customer yet. Here's the link: https://www.trustedhomeservices.com/...oolwall_qa.asp

Similarly, the worst architecture for a house, IMHO, would be a two-story floor-to-ceiling glass wall that faces west with unobstructed views -- the afternoon in the summer would be very uncomfortable and energy inefficient.

YMMV.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:34 AM

10,031 posts, read 9,507,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
No more....better than LA or Phoenix. Average for the US
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
we lost the capital title 2-3 years ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by tag08 View Post
My car got stolen a little over 2 years ago.. It was frustrating because they found it like 5 miles up the street. Caused me so much stress for a 5 mile joyride.
Vegas was ranked 7th back in 2008 by the National Insurance Crime Bureau.

Auto Theft

City data shows 842 thefts per 100K population. For 2009 the stats are down to 648 per 100k population.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Las-Vegas-Nevada.html

Forbes show the 2009 rank at 9th.

List: Cities With The Most Stolen Cars - 9. Las Vegas/Paradise, Nev. - Forbes.com

Old 01-02-2011, 01:58 PM

12 posts, read 57,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Yeah, that would definitely be easiest (and also alters where you will want to put your deep freezer if it's in the garage too).

The main reason I had this thought in the post was that my first house here in town, which was built in 2001, seemed to have foam as the insulation... foam as in the kind you can buy in craft shops for making bench cusions. I never tore out a wall to see what it actually looked like, but any time we put a nail in the wall, tufts would come out with the drill bit. It struck me as about the cheapest, lamest "insulation" you could come up with, especially on a west-facing exterior wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas