Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 11:18 AM

90 posts, read 235,605 times

Advertisements

I just accepted a job in this part of town and am looking for apts (pet friendly - cats). I'm currently out-of-state and don't even know what neighborhood this might be called in the listings - can anyone assist? How "sketchy" is the area, or is it fine? Can anyone make any recommendations? I'd prefer to live within walking distance to campus, if the area amenable. TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 03:30 PM

Maybe it would help if I were more specific in what I'm looking for (?)
Must Have:
2 Bedrooms
Thermostatically controlled AC/Heat (I'd assume this is the norm?)
Dishwasher
Allow Pets (cats)
Under $850/mo
Considered "Safe," esp. in the evenings
Covered Parking

Nice To Have:
In unit Washer/Dryer
Less than 20-units (I hate "megaplex" apts)
Swimming Pool (again, I'd assume this is the norm?)
Walking distance to CSN Charleston campus
Gay friendly

Old 03-31-2011, 11:18 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,807,585 times
Hmm well the "gay" friendly part is tough for me to say as I am not a member of the gay community. I personally think the Apartments that are right across from the campus would be fine. I really don't know the names of all of them.

To me safe is subjective. This part of town is neither the best nor the worst part of town to live.

There is a highschool right there as well, just be aware there is going to be lots of traffic.

Vista Del Rey and Desert Shadows are good. Stay away from Lantana.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:54 AM

848 posts, read 1,723,984 times
There are decent apts/condos if you head West on Charleston Blvd. starting at the intersection of Buffalo and Charleston all the way up to Hualapai and Charleston. Lots to choose from in the area and a short drive to CSN Charleston Campus.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:15 PM

Thanks for the help, I'll definitely check out the apt. mentioned. I have to move in less than two weeks, and hope to get out there sometime next week to visit in person.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:40 PM

48 posts, read 117,482 times
I used to live by there. Ventana looks ugly and probably sucks, but there was this nice complex I walked by (which was next door to it and its called Crossroads).

Crossroads has a pool, is small, and advertises themselves as luxury apartments. They are a five minute walk (ten if you're slow) from CSN Charleston. As for "gay friendly", well, no idea, but I don't think they would care.

A few things to know about this area (and this was my neighborhood for like a year): around 9 and 10 at night, it starts getting a little bit creepy. Not too dangerous, but the bums start coming out of the woodwork. If you go to CSN, don't give them your passcode to the computers (they'll probably ask you like they did to my cousin) :-). There's also a fake bum that sometimes panhandled on the corner of Rainbow and Charleston - don't give him any money.

There's a county library nearby which is pretty decent collection of DVDs and books, and there's also three stores to choose from to buy stuff (Walgreens, Wal-Mart Groceries, Albertsons). The Albertsons rips you off even if you have a shopping card, so the best choices are either the Wal-Mart or the Walgreens (the Walgreens is the closest /and/ you don't have to cross a light and risk being hit by a car to get food from there). If you're a gamer, there's also two Gamestops: one in the Wal-Mart parking lot and one in the Albertsons parking lot. There's a bank inside the Albertsons (I forget which type), a Chase bank in the Home Depot parking lot next to the Albertsons, a Home Depot next to the Albertsons (obviously since I've just said it), and like a random restaurant I've never been to. If you need spare keys, make em at Wal-Mart across the street (even though it's a grocery Wal-Mart, they still have keymakers).

As far as eats go, there's a Subway on Rainbow and Charleston's southwest corner, a Port of Subs on the northwest corner, a Mexican restaurant (which is pretty decent but pricey) across from CSN in the Wal-Mart parking lot, as well as a smoothie place (overpriced) and some sandwich place (which I never tried out, but it's probably pretty good) as well as a Denny's. There used to be a Pick Up Stix, but they're gone now (and they sucked anyway, I paid $5 for basically Ramen noodles there).

Best of luck . It's not a terrible part of town (but my idea of terrible is something /really/ terrible, considering I've lived in some serious ghettoville before, and I don't have the snobbish idea of ghetto which is something that looks a bit run down but isn't really dangerous).

Old 04-01-2011, 09:59 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,279,380 times
rjlowe, I went to Apartments for Rent | An Apartment Finder & Guide for Rentals - ForRent.com and found a few apts that are on Charleston and one is just off of it between S.Cimarron and S.Buffalo. An easy walk to Charleston for the bus which will take you right to the college if you don't have a car.

First one is "Eleven Eleven" which is on Warbonnet way, right off of Charleston. Pet friendly.

These 3 are all on W.Charleston:
"The Ivy" 8401 W.Charleston. Smaller complex. Pet friendly.

"Camden del Mar" 9225 W.Charleston. Cats only. This complex is close to a lot of shopping and a Whole Foods. Can't go wrong there.

Palms at Peccole Ranch, 9599 W.Charleston. Pet friendly.

There are some other complexes closer to the CSN college on Charleston, but like the person above, says it gets a little sketchy at night over there. During the day it is just fine.
The college is around the 5500 block of Charleston, so the further west you go, the better it will get. You can see for yourself when you get out here.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:16 PM

48 posts, read 117,482 times
Truth be told, if I were traveling late at night, I'd rather have an apartment complex a short walk away than waiting at the bus stop for up to an hour sometimes . Chances are, you'll have neighbors you might talk to and you can look after each other.

But the S. Cimmaron and S. Buffalo apartments seem nicer, it's just further away and that might be inconvenient.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:09 AM

848 posts, read 1,723,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazydriver View Post
Truth be told, if I were traveling late at night, I'd rather have an apartment complex a short walk away than waiting at the bus stop for up to an hour sometimes . Chances are, you'll have neighbors you might talk to and you can look after each other.

But the S. Cimmaron and S. Buffalo apartments seem nicer, it's just further away and that might be inconvenient.
Actually the neighborhood around Oakey Blvd behind the CSN campus is fine. There are apt units on Oakey Blvd within walking distance to CSN. CSN campus covers a large area between Charleston Blvd and Oakey Blvd. The area on Charleston Blvd by CSN is a bit sketchy but the West Charleston Library at the CSN campus is nice and also the commercial center across the street fronting the campus.

Areas around Cimarron, Durango and Rampart are definitely nicer than the area on Charleston Blvd by CSN. I frequent the Star Nursery on Cimarron and Charleston Blvd, as well as the commercial centers on Charleston Blvd between Durango and Rampart. For someone moving into town, I would recommend this part of town even if the person has to take a bus to CSN. It is only around 3-4 miles anyway to the CSN campus from these areas.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:47 AM

The apts. closest to campus that I liked (online) were the "Vista del Ray" and the ElevenEleven, the Crossroads looked nice, but I couldn't find prices posted, so I'll have to call them to see if I can afford them.

The next closest ones that met most of my reqs look like they're in worse areas (?); Sandpiper and Pebble Cove - and they also seemed a bit far for walking (?). If I had to live that far away, I may as well go with the ones closer to the Cimarron area(?) - although they're also a bit more $ rentwise.

I do have my own vehicle, but I'm used to living within walking distance to work - being stuck at a computer all day, I really like to get a walk in a couple times a day.

I'm hoping to make a personal visit later in the week (Wed-ish) to take a look at the complexes mentioned here. Thanks everyone for your assistance - I love this message board!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas