Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 10:41 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,475,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbrake View Post
Which park is better for a day trip from Las Vegas? We are coming in August with our 2 children ages 2 and 7. Are they better in the morning or during sunset? Thanks!
Hiking during the day in summer, especially in August, is brutal, IMO. We only do hikes like that after the heat of summer is over, late Sept-to sometimes mid May/June.

Buzz suggested Mt. Charleston, and that's a good one. It's much cooler up there and you could have lunch/dinner at The Lodge.

You could stay in the car and visit Red Rock Canyon, you could drive the 11 mile loop, see the gorgeous desert landscape right from your car and then go in the visitor center/museum there.

You could do the same thing with Valley of Fire, ride around in the park and see the gorgeous scenery without getting out in the heat as well.

Not as nice as hiking though, but the heat will be a big factor during your August visit. Especially with little ones who become dehydrated so quickly it seems.

Enjoy your vacation!

Last edited by MomMom; 07-13-2011 at 11:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 11:38 AM

232 posts, read 676,569 times
I agree with everyone who said not to go hiking in this heat. I love to hike at Red Rock, but would not consider doing it until it got cooler again. As mentioned, the scenic drive is really nice and highly recommended. Their welcome center is very nice!

Old 07-13-2011, 05:54 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
Hiking during the day in summer, especially in August, is brutal, IMO. We only do hikes like that after the heat of summer is over, late Sept-to sometimes mid May/June.

Buzz suggested Mt. Charleston, and that's a good one. It's much cooler up there and you could have lunch/dinner at The Lodge.

You could stay in the car and visit Red Rock Canyon, you could drive the 11 mile loop, see the gorgeous desert landscape right from your car and then go in the visitor center/museum there.

You could do the same thing with Valley of Fire, ride around in the park and see the gorgeous scenery without getting out in the heat as well.

Not as nice as hiking though, but the heat will be a big factor during your August visit. Especially with little ones who become dehydrated so quickly it seems.

Enjoy your vacation!
Given that you are in reasonable shape and hike regularly there is at least one fun hike you can do at Red Rock Canyon. That is the Lost Creek Discovery hike...it is just after half way and after you have visited the high lookout at the north end of the park. It is effectively the second right after the look out just as you get to the bottom of the valley and turn to skirt the west wall.

It is about .75 miles and all fixed up so it can be handled by young grade school kids. Should still have running water now. Do it early though...first thing in the morning. Kids may even be able to get wet in the box canyon. Just past it on that side road are an area where some local reptile is protected...take a look it is where the pavement ends.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:32 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,501,960 times
Just be sure to watch a movie entitled '127 hours' before you go. It may help you plan properly.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:10 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,837,602 times
We just did Valley of Fire last Monday. We got to the park about 7:45 am. We had planned to get there earlier, but we stayed out too late the night before. We did a couple of short hikes and climbed some rocks. By 10:00 am we were ready to get out of there.

If you're bringing kids (we did in March), go to Red Rock. It'll save you (and the kids) the hour drive.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:16 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,501,960 times
If you're into NASCAR...go to VOF state park. You go right past the track, and it can be a nice side trip.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:20 AM

363 posts, read 443,193 times
I did the Scenic Drive in Red Rock last July and enjoyed the views greatly. You can only be outside for a few minutes at each pull off and have to drink water. You won't notice how much sweat you are losing compared to back east where you are drenched inside 30 seconds of leaving the door!

Old 07-14-2011, 01:11 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Seems like the OP has disappeared, but I'd like to hear where they are coming from. If it's Phoenix or Tuscan then Las Vegas will probably seem cool to them. From anyplace else, and maybe the experience of desert heat will be exciting.

Despite all the warnings, I think people already have it in their minds to do something anyway, so if you want to risk it, then Valley of Fire is much more interesting. In an air conditioned car, early in the morning, it might even be fairly pleasant as long as you just stop at the various sites, take a look, and get back in the A/C comfort. Stop at a grocery store before leaving Las Vegas and pick up a case of water bottles though. VOF is a much bigger park when considering that tourists only see the 11 mile loop at Red Rock. Otherwise, I believe there are more sq miles at Red Rock considering the back country that most tourists never see.

There are three ways to get to Valley of Fire: up I-15 to the Paiute fireworks store turn-off is the fastest. You can also keep going up I-15 and take the turn-off to Overton, stop at the Lost City Museum, then keep going past Overton to the VOF entrance on North Shore Road. Lost City Museum is built around ancient Indian ruins. Not spectacular like Mesa Verde, etc., but interesting enough.

The scenic route is the one I like, but takes a bit longer. You go to Lake Mead and follow the North Shore Road to the VOF entrance. It's about 65 miles. There are plenty of views of the lake, but the road is not really close to the lake most of the way. Then you can take one of the other routes back to Las Vegas. Along that side of the lake are turn-offs to some marinas. Not sure if they all have restaurants, but in case you get hungry they are there.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:19 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,475,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Seems like the OP has disappeared, but I'd like to hear where they are coming from. If it's Phoenix or Tuscan then Las Vegas will probably seem cool to them. From anyplace else, and maybe the experience of desert heat will be exciting.

Despite all the warnings, I think people already have it in their minds to do something anyway, so if you want to risk it, then Valley of Fire is much more interesting. In an air conditioned car, early in the morning, it might even be fairly pleasant as long as you just stop at the various sites, take a look, and get back in the A/C comfort. Stop at a grocery store before leaving Las Vegas and pick up a case of water bottles though. VOF is a much bigger park when considering that tourists only see the 11 mile loop at Red Rock. Otherwise, I believe there are more sq miles at Red Rock considering the back country that most tourists never see.

There are three ways to get to Valley of Fire: up I-15 to the Paiute fireworks store turn-off is the fastest. You can also keep going up I-15 and take the turn-off to Overton, stop at the Lost City Museum, then keep going past Overton to the VOF entrance on North Shore Road. Lost City Museum is built around ancient Indian ruins. Not spectacular like Mesa Verde, etc., but interesting enough.

The scenic route is the one I like, but takes a bit longer. You go to Lake Mead and follow the North Shore Road to the VOF entrance. It's about 65 miles. There are plenty of views of the lake, but the road is not really close to the lake most of the way. Then you can take one of the other routes back to Las Vegas. Along that side of the lake are turn-offs to some marinas. Not sure if they all have restaurants, but in case you get hungry they are there.
Great post Buzz...and also, if anyone is heading out to Valley of Fire don't forget to stop in this unassuming place....questionable on the outside but oh so wonderful inside...breakfast, lunch and dinner, menus varies day to day with specials...absolutely great food and staff! About as small town Americana as it gets!

Sugars Home Plate Restaurant and Sports Memorabilia

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sugars...e/279484653474

Last edited by MomMom; 07-14-2011 at 01:31 PM..

Old 07-14-2011, 09:05 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
Great post Buzz...and also, if anyone is heading out to Valley of Fire don't forget to stop in this unassuming place....questionable on the outside but oh so wonderful inside...breakfast, lunch and dinner, menus varies day to day with specials...absolutely great food and staff! About as small town Americana as it gets!

Sugars Home Plate Restaurant and Sports Memorabilia

Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More
Thanks MM. I don't remember if I ever et there before unless it was in the 60's when we used to go duck hunting up yonder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: