Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 01:00 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times

Advertisements

There's any number of Latin grocery chains in Las Vegas, with their own take-out Mexican food in the central areas, like La Bonita, Marketon on the near east side in 89121.

No need to go to Del Taco or Taco Bell.

Last edited by tijlover; 07-27-2011 at 01:00 AM.. Reason: edit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 10:25 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
No need to go to Del Taco or Taco Bell.
aahhhhh Taco Bell....1983, I drove from Atlantic City to Philadelphia for business....coming up to the bridge on Rte 30 I spied a Taco Bell with a grand opening sign on it...finished the business....drove 55 miles home...got my wife n two friend and we drove 55 miles back to eat everything we could find at that Taco bell....it was another YEAR befor South Jersey got a mexican restaurant....and then the Salsa was made with tomato sauce....it was owned by two Italian guys from Atlantic City....they [being Italian] saw RED salsa and in Italy RED means tomato sauce.

I wouldnt be caught dead in a Taco Bell now but then....it was heaven

Old 07-27-2011, 11:48 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bledsoe3 View Post
Which one?
You get to pick!

Old 07-27-2011, 11:54 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girl4708 View Post
THANKS everyone, for so many specifics - the zip codes are priceless for me - maybe there's hope for working-class-lovin' me after all! And I really appreciate not having my preferences flamed like they could have been on other boards. You guys rock!

PinkString, you said

What are those areas? Is that really their name?

As for McNeill and Paradise Palms, my degree is architecture so of course I'd LOVE to live there, but alas times are rough and I must rent modestly and I doubt those mid-century moderns are going to rent for cheap, if they're available to rent at all.

So another question - my boss is thinking about the Henderson area - would the commute be worth it? Given my original post, would I be able to live in Henderson? Or is it just like a suburb? Where is the older part of town and is it still a town? Or is it dead like so many older small towns?

Thanks - Spring Valley is sounding pretty good...

ADDED: I see now that yelllowsnows and macgeeks were monikers, my bad!
If you have a degree in architecture, Paradise Palms is for you. Look up Mid-Century Modern homes in Las Vegas. For the most part they are in Paradise Palms, built in the early to mid 60's by Palmer and Kreichler(sp?). It's an amazing area and they are immensely undervalued compared to similar homes in Cali. Even if you don't get to live there, go look. I think they do tours once or twice a year. I think it's the Atomic Age Society that puts them on.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:47 PM

8 posts, read 9,641 times
Oh I KNOW!!! I've known about them for years - Eichlers or knock-off Eichlers. Also know I can't afford one. I actually found something mid-century for rent last night, but I've got another 7 months to go before I arrive and it's about $300 more than I should spend a month...

I'm also wondering if that's a bit piggy for a single girl with small needs, but I want, I want...

That is enough to look forward to moving to Las Vegas, though.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:51 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,245,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girl4708 View Post
Hi!

I'll be moving to the area next year but can't help researching early. I'm allergic to gated communities, condo communities, mass developed apartment complexes and high-rises. I prefer small working-class areas with some sense of community: older areas with small single family homes, duplexes, cottages, and some low-rise apartments. Something with character and diversity. Is there ANYTHING like that in the metro Las Vegas area? I will be renting vs. buying.

Of course, safety is an issue, but surely there must be a compromise...

What I'm reading here isn't very encouraging: it sounds very contractor-designed, generic, and planned to death.

I'd be interested in hearing about the oldest areas, the industrial areas, and whether the area near UNLV or the airport is vibrant at all. Previous reading made it sound like there was nothing going on near the college, which just seems unbelievable.

I guess I'm just looking for signs of life that are not scripted...I also enjoy being part of a revival process, as long as I am safe. thanks!
Given your background and interests, I think you are going to have a hard time finding exactly what you're looking for. If you decide to strike for an older, more established area I think you might end up disappointed and end up opting for something newer...closer to the shops, restaurants and services you might like.

I wouldn't rule out some of the more walkable areas of some master planned communities. You owe it to yourself to take a dimestore tour of the town and check it out.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:36 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,837,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
You get to pick!
I would but I couldn't provide you with the place in Paradise Palms.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:08 AM

Spraynard Kruger said
Quote:
If you decide to strike for an older, more established area I think you might end up disappointed and end up opting for something newer...closer to the shops, restaurants and services you might like.
I don't know - the zip codes provided here had older housing developments alongside plenty of commercial establishments nearby. They both are kind of the same, these older developments and master planned communities, except there's more escape from the crushing monotony in the smaller-scale older developments, and the materials are often better and there's more attention to detail as well a character that can only evolve over time.

In addition, the older development has had to learn to shake hands with its neighboring chaos, which is invigorating. It's had to compromise a little in order to survive, and the compromise has helped it mature and grow on multiple levels. Whereas a newer planned community has no such nuances. It also is one thing to start a city and have developed neighborhoods, but it seems kind of wrong to me when there's a housing surplus while the city sprawl keeps getting expanded so people can ever new experience the edge of nature...It is full of like minds in like homes with like everything and is about as interesting as eating paste to me. It's based on market demographics of developers and the architects who place speed over quality in an effort to keep them as clients, and the corner-cutting of greedy contractors and greenback architecture interns working as digital slaves sneaking in design decisions that have no developed point of view. Really. I know what I'm talking about...The only saving grace of these McCommunities is that it's more in vogue to be socially/ecologically/environmentally aware these days, so what are actually gimmicks end up having some real value.

I don't shop and rarely eat out, except the occasional snack-sized craving, and don't know of any services that I take advantage of, but I like to know there's a non-corporate coffee shop near-by.

I like Eichler homes because they were an egalitarian offering which showed that integrating people with their environment wasn't just the realm of the rich. It's just a pity so few were made and the rich now covet/hoarde them. Eichler's for everyone!!!

I can like mid-century modern homes but that doesn't mean I place style over substance. I like to live as a hermit in the woods or deeply tangled in urban fabric, but have a hard time breathing in the suburbs. I know a lot of Vegas resembles suburbs, so I really appreciate the zip codes given to me here and any other suggestions one might have.

I've also enjoyed living in industrial areas in the past - does Las Vegas have one of these?

Old 07-29-2011, 06:30 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,921,814 times
For a small, working class community feel, in addition to those mentioned, I would also suggest taking a look at parts of Old Henderson.
I always sense a strong, working class community feel in those parts.

Some parts are nicer than others, though, so tour the neighborhoods with a critical eye.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:57 AM

Thanks! Can you give me some boundaries of this area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas