Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 12:07 PM

21 posts, read 70,335 times

Advertisements

If you are of Asian minority in Las Vegas metropolitan area, how do you like it there overall in terms of your personal and professional lives? Do you like it there? I understand there are decent number of Hawaii natives living there which tended to be lumped together into Pacific Islander/Asian here on mainland United States.

If you have had observations and life experiences to compare Las Vegas with DC metropolitan area please share that as well.

I am in Maryland as a Korean male under 40, and considering Las Vegas due to Nevada having no state income tax and potential real estate investment opportunities there.

As for no state income tax, do you feel that's helping you out financially in Las Vegas metropolitan area? Cost of living and taxes are very high here in Maryland, and state income tax burdens are heavy here in Maryland.

If you have warnings about moving into Las Vegas metropolitan area, by all means, please share. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 03:37 PM

848 posts, read 1,724,409 times
My family's experience have been wonderful, having lived here for 25 years and my mother for over 30 years. Asian diversity and culture is amazing and well represented in society. I'm not exagerrating when I say the Asian community contributes positively to the whole of Clark County.

Old 08-20-2011, 03:40 PM

My family's experience have been wonderful, having lived here for 25 years and my mother for over 30 years. Aisan diversity and culture is amazing and well represented in society. I'm not exagerrating when I say the Asian community contributes positively to the Las Vegas metropolitan area.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:08 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
The only problem is that they tend to repeat themselves.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:18 PM

901 posts, read 1,898,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH2011 View Post
I am in Maryland as a Korean male under 40, and considering Las Vegas due to Nevada having no state income tax and potential real estate investment opportunities there.
Unemployment is very high, so make sure you have a job lined up before you come. No job = no tax bennies of living here.

Quote:
As for no state income tax, do you feel that's helping you out financially in Las Vegas metropolitan area? Cost of living and taxes are very high here in Maryland, and state income tax burdens are heavy here in Maryland.
Run the numbers for yourself. We moved from SoCal and the tax savings are substantial. Each situation is different and only you can determine if the move is ultimately worthwhile. However, only move here if you really want to live here - the tax advantages are just a bonus.

Quote:
If you have warnings about moving into Las Vegas metropolitan area, by all means, please share. Thank you.
Spend a week here in July to see if you can handle the heat. Some love it, others not so much. I'm sure you'll read several horror stories about living in Las Vegas, but try to keep things in perspective. No place is perfect, but a lot of people are happy, myself included. Again, do some research and come to your own conclusions.

Last edited by Trash Can; 08-20-2011 at 09:42 PM..

Old 08-20-2011, 08:18 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
There is a small but lively Korean community here -- complete with Korean churches, newspapers, grocery stores (some very Korean specific, others pan-Asian), and restaurants.

As for discrimination, I think we largely got over that since the days when we wouldn't let Sammy Davis Jr. stay at a strip hotel. At least my Asian in-laws don't complain.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:15 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times
Have about 7 Asian co-workers that love it out here. They are all on the younger side though. 20-29

Old 08-20-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
The only problem is that they tend to repeat themselves.
Coming from an Asian, it is worth bragging mind you!!!

I see and read too many negative news stories from other ethnicities, it is quite embarrassing and alarming to say the least!!

Old 08-21-2011, 07:40 AM

1,282 posts, read 1,904,196 times
This city has many problems but racism is not among them. While I would not say people here are "liberal" like they are in California, you will find that we have a more "live and let live" view of things. We generally do not mind our neighbors business and respect others rights to live where they want and go where they want when they want.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:22 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
One of the best things about Las Vegas is how well people live together and get along. We have financial/economic problems. We don't have race/ethnicity problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas