Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 08:09 AM

1,609 posts, read 2,015,880 times

Advertisements

Photos: Remembering snowstorms in Las Vegas offers retreat from the heat - Friday, Aug. 26, 2011 | 2 a.m. - Las Vegas Sun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 08:20 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
Yesterday at work, the maintenance guys told us to come outside to see something interesting. They were cooking eggs on the sidewalk.

It WILL get cooler.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:21 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,808,416 times
It was so hot they had to put ice under the chickens so they would not lay hard boil eggs lol. Just some east coast humor. Where I live I just look at the snow shovel and that stops my bitching about the heat. I know it does not get that hot here as in Las Vegas but hot is hot. What in hell did people do before A/C. Hang in there LV October is coming and back to normal we on the NE area start getting the sweaters out and close the windows and dream of next summer.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:56 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
they hung wet blankets in the windows and invented swamp coolers

Old 08-28-2011, 11:59 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,146,969 times
when i'm stuck in heat with nothing to do about it, i think of two things; one is the scene from stand and deliver where the teacher hands out oranges and says think cool, the other is knowing that if you run cold water over the back of your hands it cools you down.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:01 PM

579 posts, read 1,210,447 times
Quote:
It was so hot they had to put ice under the chickens so they would not lay hard boil eggs lol. Just some east coast humor. Where I live I just look at the snow shovel and that stops my bitching about the heat. I know it does not get that hot here as in Las Vegas but hot is hot. What in hell did people do before A/C. Hang in there LV October is coming and back to normal we on the NE area start getting the sweaters out and close the windows and dream of next summer.
I know my kids asked me how they used to deliver milk and leave it on the porch if it was so hot, LOL, which is a good question. I am assuming a big ice block was left in the milk box and they hoped it didn't melt, or they came directly in the door and put it in the ice box and hoped it didn't freeze. I can't imagine Pre-AC, pre-refridgeration in this city, but likely before WWII it just wasn't even as hot. I can attest that the 70s and 80s as a kid were much cooler to my recollection. Less concrete, more open space for breeze, less humidity from pools, fountains, trees, lawns etc.....summers would've still been brutal though. I'm thristy just thinking about it.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:38 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
remember that back in the days of milk delivery, the "Lady of the House" was ALWAYS home.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:13 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.2 View Post
when i'm stuck in heat with nothing to do about it, i think of two things; one is the scene from stand and deliver where the teacher hands out oranges and says think cool, the other is knowing that if you run cold water over the back of your hands it cools you down.
Actually it's your wrists. Cools the blood in your veins. Works with hot water when you're cold too.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:21 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhunting View Post
I know my kids asked me how they used to deliver milk and leave it on the porch if it was so hot, LOL, which is a good question. I am assuming a big ice block was left in the milk box and they hoped it didn't melt, or they came directly in the door and put it in the ice box and hoped it didn't freeze. I can't imagine Pre-AC, pre-refrigeration in this city, but likely before WWII it just wasn't even as hot. I can attest that the 70s and 80s as a kid were much cooler to my recollection. Less concrete, more open space for breeze, less humidity from pools, fountains, trees, lawns etc.....summers would've still been brutal though. I'm thirsty just thinking about it.
We had home milk delivery in the 60's. They gave you an insulated box, and if I remember correctly, in hot weather they put a little ice in the box with the milk. But you had to get up early and bring it in or it would spoil.

I've heard stories from old timers about how they put a blanket in a window, hung a garden hose to drip on it to keep it wet, and put a big fan behind it. Old timers have a lot of rattlesnakes in the house stories too.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:05 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
With any luck at all, today should be the last day over 110. Right now we have a lot to look forward to... 9 months of almost perfect weather is right over the hill.

I have a lot of stuff to do in the yard that I have been putting off. Time to get going. Almost!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas