Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 06:37 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,998,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
One of the best things ever for a sore/scratchy throat is a teaspoon of honey. Repeat whenever needed. And no side effects.
definitely.. and make sure it has the pollen in it... Lots of companies remove the pollen...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 06:44 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
definitely.. and make sure it has the pollen in it... Lots of companies remove the pollen...
Lots of companies remove the honey -- and replace it with corn syrup and whatever happens to be lying around the factory floor. Google it. Very little "honey" is actually 100% honey. Most has been diluted, filtered, adulterated, radiated, pasteurized, homogenized, and generally borked beyond recognition.

Few Americans know what real honey (you know, the stuff that has bits of comb and bees in it) tastes like. So companies pull the wool over our eyes. It's as if all the maple syrup in America was made by Log Cabin and Mrs. Butterworth, because shoppers don't know any better.

I get my honey from beekeepers -- and I demand little bits of stuff in my honey. I don't want any micro-filtered, depollenated garbage.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:50 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,289,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Face it. Every medical doctor in North America recommends an annual flu shot. So go get one, and quit worrying.

CDC - Seasonal Influenza (Flu) - Questions & Answers - Thimerosal and 2010-2011 Seasonal Flu Vaccines
I only agree with you about the hand washing. I am not getting a flu shot. Never have, never will. I hardly if ever get sick. (must be all that hand washing)

Old 12-01-2011, 07:55 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,159,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Does the military literally force you to get the vaccine? There is no way out?
Yes its mandatory along with a couple of other scheduled shots. Anthrax is another one of them.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:55 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,289,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topdawg123 View Post
Does going to see a doctor help after you get sick? What's generally the best think to help recover after you are sick? I've just been taking OTC stuff.
The doctor will usually give you some nasty tasting syrup with codeine in it. The codeine part is great. As long as there is enough of it to knock out all the aches and pains, gets the coughing to stop so you can feel much better while recovering.
The OTC stuff doesn't do much good. Natural is better if you can get it, so if you can't, go see the doctor.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:08 PM

140 posts, read 277,665 times
Take Claritin. It will dry you out. That means the post nasal drip will stop, helps prevent chest cold. Use a humidifier or vaporizor. Take Zinc lozenges at first sign of cold. Will shorten duration. Cold-ese are the best.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:25 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,501,960 times
Mucilex DM helped make my coughs "productive"

Old 12-02-2011, 09:09 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
My mother (this was in 1950's) would pour some lemon juice into a small glass and add sugar until it was a thick syrup. She would have us sip it slowly. The lemon worked wonders on the sore throat and the sugar made it sweet enough for kids to enjoy. Being so thick it would coat our throats.

As an adult I add a half shot of whiskey to the mix. Might as well enjoy being sick!

Old 12-02-2011, 09:10 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Mucilex DM helped make my coughs "productive"
My wife's sister swears by this stuff and I never get anything out of it. Frustrating to say the least. I'd really like to find something that did that for me.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:20 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,501,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
My wife's sister swears by this stuff and I never get anything out of it. Frustrating to say the least. I'd really like to find something that did that for me.
I was right with you on this stuff...until this time. There's Mucinex D, Mucinex DM, Mucinex (not sure what all the letters are?) Anyway, I think I was buying the wrong one. This time I went with the DM (most expensive one) and it worked great...just like the commercial where all the gooey guys get cleared out of the basement party!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas