Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 11:22 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times

Advertisements

I'm ready!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_A_Braun View Post
Problem with that thread is nobody recommended a good pizza joint in town. It was just a bunch of bickering back and forth (Like so many other threads).

Ohh wait, one person did recommend Dominos. But if that is the best Pizza Vegas currently has to offer then no wonder there are so many problems there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
And how's this one turning out....?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 02:20 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,809,359 times
I mentioned this one before and I'll do it again.

House of Vino on N. Durango in Cent Hills has a little deli. They make pizzas. I was reluctant to try but finally did and wow they are very good pizzas. cheap too. If you're in Cent hills try their menu. I was impressed. I think those dudes that run it are from New York.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:47 AM

137 posts, read 221,521 times
Quote:
I've had New York pizza. I was scarred for life. Never again will I subject my body to such vile crap. Must be the dough made with water taken directly from the Hudson River.
You know, I was with you up to this point. All I can tell you, if you think you've had good pizza in CA there is no point of further discussion. I can see now why other threads you've read did not work for you.

Pizza, and I mean REAL PIZZA, does nor exist outside of New York area. As someone pointed out deep dish is nothing but a casserole. Very few CA "pizza" places have an idea what calzone is and their whole wheat dough and all the "organic" crap they put on it is not really pizza. You can call whatever you want, its not.

I'm just curious what you think pizza is, especially in SoCal where real Italian cuisine is not to be found.

Waste of time talking to you about pizza. Sorry.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:59 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,000,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinotGuy View Post
You know, I was with you up to this point. All I can tell you, if you think you've had good pizza in CA there is no point of further discussion. I can see now why other threads you've read did not work for you.

Pizza, and I mean REAL PIZZA, does nor exist outside of New York area. As someone pointed out deep dish is nothing but a casserole. Very few CA "pizza" places have an idea what calzone is and their whole wheat dough and all the "organic" crap they put on it is not really pizza. You can call whatever you want, its not.

I'm just curious what you think pizza is, especially in SoCal where real Italian cuisine is not to be found.

And then, of course, there are those of us who can out-snob you and say that real Italian cuisine cannot be found outside of Italy. New York, after all, has nothing on Piedmont, the Veneto, Emilia Romagna, Tuscany, Lazio, and Sicily. They're not even in the same universe, let alone football-pitch.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:50 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
Quote:
some place that makes a mean Chicago style deep dish pie.
Chicago Cactus Club - Las Vegas, NV, 89130 - Citysearch

Old 12-04-2011, 10:33 AM

137 posts, read 221,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
And then, of course, there are those of us who can out-snob you and say that real Italian cuisine cannot be found outside of Italy. New York, after all, has nothing on Piedmont, the Veneto, Emilia Romagna, Tuscany, Lazio, and Sicily. They're not even in the same universe, let alone football-pitch.

OK. Clueless seems in vogue, then.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:35 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
I'm ready.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:30 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,000,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinotGuy View Post

OK. Clueless seems in vogue, then.
Just don't let it happen again.

I realize that not everyone is lucky enough to spend a couple years backpacking in Italy.

But it really sticks in my craw, these 10th-generation "Italian-Americans" who are about as Italian as a can of Chef Boyardee Beef-A-Roni. You can count on them to say, "I'm Italian, so...[fill in some woefully ignorant comment about food]."

No, Guido/Guidette/Snooki, you're NOT Italian. You don't speak Italian. You've never been to Italy. Your parents don't speak Italian, and neither do your grandparents. You don't know a Barolo from a Sangiovese. You've likely never had a real pizza. And you wouldn't appreciate it even if you did. You don't even know how to make risotto -- you probably don't even know what risotto is.

You don't even know how to say, "Do you understand?"

It's "Capite." Not "capiche." Capiche is exclusively an Italian-American bastardization of Italian. Just like the gunk-covered crap we serve is an Italian-American bastardization of pizza.

My mother-in-laws new neighbor is one of those "I'm Italian, so...."

He introduced himself saying "I'm Mark. I'm Italian." So I gave him a hearty "buon giorno" and asked him what province he hailed from. "Da dove provenite?"

"Huh?" he said. "I don't speak Italian. I mean I'm Italian-American."

I don't want his opinion on Italian food, either. It isn't valid.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:31 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,507,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
No, Guido/Guidette/Snooki, you're NOT Italian. You don't speak Italian. You've never been to Italy. Your parents don't speak Italian, and neither do your grandparents. You don't know a Barolo from a Sangiovese. You've likely never had a real pizza. And you wouldn't appreciate it even if you did. You don't even know how to make risotto -- you probably don't even know what risotto is.
IMO, the same can be same about any Americanized ethnic food. The take-out garden variety Chinese food that we get here would taste like nothing they make over in China.

We Americanize it to suit our American taste. It works for us.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:51 PM

140 posts, read 277,782 times
I had a delicious pizza in the Venetian, little Italian place near the food court and the canals. It was a margherita pizza--thin crust, fresh mozzarella. Expensive but worth it. Of course this is not a deep-dish Chicago style pie--that to me is like an open-faced cheese and tomato sandwich lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: