Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 02:54 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,000,203 times

Advertisements

I'm not the one saying New York "Italian" is real Italian compared to that fake Italian they serve in California. I'm the one saying real Italian food is found in Italy. Not New York. Not Chicago. Not Timbuktu. Italy. That's where.

Also, we don't have legions of Chinese-Americans calling Crab Rangoon "real Chinese" either. They're not having heated arguments comparing Chicago General Tso's to New York General Tso's. For some reason, the Chinese-Americans haven't abandoned their food roots. The Italian-Americans have.

And, you CAN get real Chinese in America. It's a lot easier to find real Chinese than it is to find real Italian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 03:08 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
Around here we have what we disparagingly call "Iowa Cajun". We had a place that actually served "real" Cajun, but it went out of business in the Flood of '93. It was in a basement right next to the river and was under water for about 3 months. They moved out of downtown but never really got their footing again.

We had some alligator sausage there that was awesome.

We get "Iowa Mexican", too.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:32 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,124,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post

When I mive to Gnu Jesey in 197 with Golden Nugget....there were NO Mexican restaurants ANYwhere....finally, two Itialian guys decided that with all the westerners comin in they needed Mexican....so they opened one in Atlantic City...

NOW....when two east coast psuedoitialians see red, the immediately think TOMATO PASTE

Trust me.....Salaa made with tomato paste and hot sauce is not a pleasant taste.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:36 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,507,035 times
spell check should be you friend.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:59 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,570,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Around here we have what we disparagingly call "Iowa Cajun". We had a place that actually served "real" Cajun, but it went out of business in the Flood of '93. It was in a basement right next to the river and was under water for about 3 months. They moved out of downtown but never really got their footing again.

We had some alligator sausage there that was awesome.

I had deep fried alligator tail in Florida and it was delicious.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:31 PM

137 posts, read 221,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
spell check should be you friend.
That's asking way too much of the residents of a "fake everything" city. They seem to know so much about history of food, it seems, when, in fact, ALL the food they know is a copy of another restaurant in another city.

Interesting how these supposed experts on pizza have no idea about Italy and its supposed hold on pizza. I lived in Rome, back in early '70s, for over 3 months. Every time I passed by one of these so called "pizza" joints, they weren't even called "pizza", what they had on offer was more than unappetizing, imagine cheese bread from Domino and you get a decent approximation of what "pizza" was back in the day. And I am willing to bet on Domino's version actually being head and shoulders above "Italian pizza" back then. Never once was I even inclined to try this so called "pizza", basically baked dough with minimum amount of cheese on top. No spices, no tomatoes and certainly no mozzarella (looked like a bad version of Velveeta).

And yet a "fake town" denizen is trying to lecture me on "Italian pizza", which for all sense and purposes didn't really exist until some recent times when some Italian marketing guy said, Hey, the guys in USA did all the marketing for us, we just need to come up with some "tear jerker story of Queen Margherita" and somehow figure out how colors on the pie match the flag to make it look legit". And even this knee high BS came out of Napoli, not the rest of the regions listed by the "in the know king". Even worse for this Italian "marketing brilliance", Provence (France) has been doing "pizza" for way longer than Italy has.

Interesting how Europe has been rewriting facts about their "history" in recent times and no one even questions them on this. Wine "history" of France is nothing but a dreamed up and heavily promoted myth, just like Italian pizza, French wine was nothing but **** until the Dutch and then an American showed them how to do it right (Haut Brion), but who cares about facts in this day of Wikipedia?
To ScoopLV:

Have no idea what scoop refers to in your nickname, but I'll let you in on a little scoop, just keep it hush-hush: There are these places, called "library", and they contain things made of many bound sheets of paper with printed words on them. Many words on many subjects. Maybe you should find one of these "library" places and start learning a thing or two, especially on subjects you claim to know. Only because someone says "blah" does not mean that "blah" is actually true. And don't look for latest and spiffiest book on the shelf, but try finding books as old as is possible, not the heavily edited, massaged and marketing driven BS coming out of Europe these days, come to think of it most USA school books as well lately. Old(er) books actually have some very interesting and honest data in them. Again, only if you care to look.

As for Italian food, I guess you and every self appointed Italian food expert will be able to tell gnocci made in NY from those made in Italy, in a BLIND TASTE TEST. Or some other dish you'd care to name. My hat is off to you, then. But something tells me you are all simply full of it and just don't know how much. Italian food is Italian food, on both sides of the ocean. You just need to know where to have it, there is good and bad Italian food ON BOTH SIDES of the ocean. Stop repeating some really stupid things and start asking questions.

Have fun discussing subject you seem to know nothing about..
Anyway, I am done with this thread. Appreciate the info on that pizza joint near Nellis, run by who else, ex-NYers (enough said) and will visit it first chance I get.

At least now I see whose opinion counts for something on this board and I appreciate that, so its been a good learning experience no matter the distractions.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:22 AM

Pinot_Gringo says, "Bye bye". Er, "arrivederci".

Old 12-05-2011, 08:36 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,000,203 times
Yeah, gotta love it when someone makes a "parting shot," followed by "I'm finished with this thread."

Translation: "I realize I gots nothing, but I wanna have the last word."

Old 12-05-2011, 09:01 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,507,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Yeah, gotta love it when someone makes a "parting shot," followed by "I'm finished with this thread."

Translation: "I realize I gots nothing, but I wanna have the last word."
I just don't understand why more people don't use the ignore feature???

Pinot could just ignore Tek....and/or Tek just ignore Pinot...and the problem is solved!

Old 12-05-2011, 10:15 AM

If that were to be the overwhelming case no one would ever respond to JFKIII

And you know I couldn't pass that up, don't you?

I don't have any problem with PinotGuy except that long, drawn-out, rambling, meaningless parting shot. Everyone is welcome to their opinion, even me on occasion, but that post basically said, "I'm right. You're wrong. Period. And by implication it said the same to anyone who disagrees with Pinot. In addition it was rather insulting to a degree that was not necessary. I usually like Pinot's posts, but that was over the top.

Dealing with someone who thinks they are always right reminds me of my favorite saying: "People who think they know everything are particularly annoying to those of us who do."

And I fully expect to be called out when I get too.... too. I'm not perfect and can be an ass with the best of them. When I am let me know and I'll try to cool it. Try being the key word.

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 12-05-2011 at 10:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: