Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 12:45 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times

Advertisements

Anyone catch that article in the paper today? Nevada law enforcement agencies tracking the movements of their citizens thru their cellphones, sometimes without obtaining proper court approval. Partly due to the absence of a state law regulating such tracking.

Assembleyman Tick Segerblom (D-Las Vegas) said law enforcement should have a search warrant to accesses of cellphone records.

Indeed, warrantless cellphone tracking is a key civil liberty issue and consitutional concern of our time, said Dan Silverstein in the Clark County Public Defender's Office.

The 4th Amendment prohibits unreasonable searches by government. To obtain a search warrant, authorities have been required to show a judge enough evidence to establish "probable cause."

Agencies such as North Las Vegas Police Dept. and Metro Police "routinely" use cellphone records to track people involved in investigations.

Comments? Do you take your "spy" along with you everywhere you go?

Last edited by tijlover; 04-06-2012 at 12:46 AM.. Reason: edit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 08:50 AM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
Do I carry my phone? Yes. Then again, I'm not a criminal, so tracking me wouldn't be any fun.

I know full well the capability of spying on someone via their cellphone. If I was going to commit crimes, it likely would not be along for the ride.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:51 AM

843 posts, read 2,217,234 times
I have a fairly old motorola phone, I disabled the GPS antenna by cutting the lead. The settings in the phone allow you to turn off GPS except for 911 calls, however I don't trust that one bit.

Folks that like have phones with all the bells and whistles, good luck.. I would think that for some phones at least someone has instructions for permanently disabling the GPS....

Old 04-06-2012, 10:09 AM

1,828 posts, read 5,314,068 times
I leave my phone in the nightstand when i commit felonies

Old 04-06-2012, 10:14 AM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
As long as the phone is on, they can triangulate your position, but not exactly. If you cut the leads to the GPS antenna, you'll never be able to use that. That might be a problem if you need it for an emergency at some point. More likely than the black helicopters tracking your every move.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:10 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,121,360 times
wouldnt a tinfoil hat work just as well?

Old 04-06-2012, 11:48 AM

843 posts, read 2,217,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
As long as the phone is on, they can triangulate your position, but not exactly. If you cut the leads to the GPS antenna, you'll never be able to use that. That might be a problem if you need it for an emergency at some point. More likely than the black helicopters tracking your every move.
I have a GPS to pinpoint my location when I'm in the boonies.. would trust that better than the cheesy GPS they include in cell phones anyway..

It's pretty obvious that many people don't get the point, and never will.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:05 PM

Increasingly, when I even take my very late night walks in my neighborhood, I leave my spy at home. And if I were robbed on my walk, wouldn't it be my cellphone they'd love to get their hands on? Then go off and commit other crimes that nite, using my phone, as I tried desperately (don't have a land line anymore) to call my carrier to report it stolen, service ended. How long would that take?

Someone at work futilely tried to call her cellphone carrier in the middle of the night, reporting a lost cellphone, and she was told to call back after 7am!

It's also become psychological, all this endless spying, dealing with surveillance cameras on my walks, more spying, intrusion of my privacy.

It doesn't help that I'm a paranoiac!

Last edited by tijlover; 04-06-2012 at 08:06 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 04-07-2012, 12:46 AM

542 posts, read 986,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Increasingly, when I even take my very late night walks in my neighborhood, I leave my spy at home. And if I were robbed on my walk, wouldn't it be my cellphone they'd love to get their hands on? Then go off and commit other crimes that nite, using my phone, as I tried desperately (don't have a land line anymore) to call my carrier to report it stolen, service ended. How long would that take?

Someone at work futilely tried to call her cellphone carrier in the middle of the night, reporting a lost cellphone, and she was told to call back after 7am!

It's also become psychological, all this endless spying, dealing with surveillance cameras on my walks, more spying, intrusion of my privacy.

It doesn't help that I'm a paranoiac!
Where do you walk where you're in private?

Old 04-07-2012, 08:48 PM

I just walk in my townhouse neighborhood. But by neighbor across my alley has an HOA approved surveillance camera for his truck parked on the street, and when someone did a hit-and-run on a parked car in my neighborhood lately, the owner of the car was nonplussed as to why they couldn't find out who did it, claiming there's 5 surveillance cameras in that area of the complex.

Didn't have a clue that they were there, as I've walked by that area many times. Never noticed, where are they hidden?

And how many more are aimed at me while taking my walks at night?

And since I work the nightshift, up all night, my walks at night are in the early hours of the morning.

I understand England is the surveillance camera capital of the world now, and it won't be long..............................

So, in one way, say I'm robbed one night, my cellphone is stolen, it may be of help, who knows!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas