Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 09:51 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,298,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by owelles View Post
Well, with all due respect, you're not here.

Gas prices definitely are dropping in Las Vegas. The same station where I filled up for $3.50 a gallon Monday was $3.61 a week earlier and $3.75 the week before that.
Of course I understand that, but when prices drop, the trend tends to be nationwide...at least that is how it portrayed on the news.

Yes, our prices have dropped as a whole over the last few months, but they are showing signs of going back up again. I've been hearing this is the case everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 10:01 AM

2,180 posts, read 4,538,404 times
lol... greed.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:07 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,640,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu View Post
lol... greed.
Yes ... Greed

Old 06-19-2012, 10:13 AM

419 posts, read 907,477 times
Prices at the pump have a lot to do with crude oil prices...Crude has been dropping for weeks. There's usually a delay, but I expect them to keep going down. For instance crude got up to $110 just 2 months or so ago...and now it's about $83 (Nynex) so thats a big drop.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:57 AM

901 posts, read 1,899,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerby View Post
Prices at the pump have a lot to do with crude oil prices...Crude has been dropping for weeks. There's usually a delay, but I expect them to keep going down. For instance crude got up to $110 just 2 months or so ago...and now it's about $83 (Nynex) so thats a big drop.
True, but on the other hand, if crude spikes, gas prices rise almost immediately.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:07 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,044,201 times
I read diesel prices are going to remain a little lower because demand is down. Diesel should be cheaper than gas because it's cheaper to make and for decades it was cheaper than gas. The crux of what I read is that quite a few long haul trucking companies are switching to natural gas as fuel. Then the problem becomes re-fueling stations. I guess the truck stops are working hard on getting those put in.

Diesel and fuel in general is much cheaper in Mexico than it is here. Lots of people cross the border for fuel. And there's quite the illegal market bringing diesel across the border to sell to truckers.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:08 AM

1,245 posts, read 1,829,220 times
OK. boys and girls, here is the bottom line> Gasoline is a world-wide commodity so we have to pay the world-wide price. The US is EXPORTING gasoline. World-wide demand for gasoline is going up thanks to millions of people in India and China and other developing nations wanting the status of owning a car.

The Keystone pipeline is all about pumping Canadian crude to Louisiana refineries so that it can then exported as gasoline to other countries.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:23 AM

322 posts, read 565,479 times
In most cases gas is less than half the price of bottled water even if we compare to a 16 oz bottle costing only a buck.... hmmm.

Isn't greed the basis of all business and the free enterprise system? Has anyone ever turned down a raise solely because they thought they were already being paid enough and didn't want to be greedy? Why would anyone expect a business to voluntarily leave potential additional profits on the table? Even when a business has a "free" giveaway or some sort of loss leader, they are doing so with the expectation of it leading to higher profits over all in the long run due to advertising value and buying additional market share.

One can not buy gas and at the same time argue it is too high. If it was too high you wouldn't buy it. And when enough quit or largely reduce buying the price will likely come down. If profits are too high for too long, additional competition will usually enter a market and bring prices down. A free market's job is to find a price level that balances supply and demand at any given point in time, and it looks like it is working fine to me.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:41 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,640,832 times

GREED

Old 06-19-2012, 12:36 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,998,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview6 View Post
OK. boys and girls, here is the bottom line> Gasoline is a world-wide commodity so we have to pay the world-wide price. The US is EXPORTING gasoline. World-wide demand for gasoline is going up thanks to millions of people in India and China and other developing nations wanting the status of owning a car.

The Keystone pipeline is all about pumping Canadian crude to Louisiana refineries so that it can then exported as gasoline to other countries.

This. Exactly.

And pardon me while I bring this bullwhip and dead pony to the thread, but CNG is still $2.70 per "gallon." (It's sold by weight, but it works out to $2.70.)

People who want to get off the crude oil merry-go-round have options for doing so. Complaining about gas prices isn't a particularly good option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: