Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 06:19 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,808,416 times

Advertisements

Pink do you mean the 89121 area???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 10:22 AM

2 posts, read 3,437 times
Thanks to everyone for the responses! I will be working at the hospital, not sure what the access is like coming off 215. If I put my eastern boundary as N 5th Ave and southern boundary as Centennial Parkway, will I be fairly safe? I've looked at the crime maps but I feel like sometimes those are hard to put in perspective.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:36 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gubb0007 View Post
Thanks to everyone for the responses! I will be working at the hospital, not sure what the access is like coming off 215. If I put my eastern boundary as N 5th Ave and southern boundary as Centennial Parkway, will I be fairly safe? I've looked at the crime maps but I feel like sometimes those are hard to put in perspective.
Just go west and stay north of 215. The area immediately around the hospital is pretty nice though I would be a little leery of the high schools. If you should have high school age children the areas get easier...shadow ridge, arborview, Centennial will do it.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:28 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
The east side isn't that bad. Plenty of people live there. I have also found whenever I am down that way, the people are just so much more friendly for some reason. Maybe because it's less costly to live there. Plus more house and yards for the money. You aren't all right on top of each other like the newer communities.
And there's a BIG, BIG, BIG difference between living around Nellis Blvd. and living around Los Feliz Blvd. The "more house for the money" is the reason my mother-in-law moved here. (My mother in law is the reason we had to move here.)

There is also the view, the lack of jet noise, the lack of freeway noise, better air quality, and having the sun at your back when commuting to and from the strip.

However, the east side is hotter than the west side. And our shopping venues are a little seedier than what they have over in Summerlin. But the east side has the Mexican markets, and that's a total bonus in my opinion.

I disagree about the "friendly" part, though. As I'm mentioned many, many times, we hardly know our neighbors. And neither does my mother in law. She's in a gated community. We're not. Both neighborhoods are full of "vacation houses" that are only occupied on Labor Day weekend. And many houses are also owned by LDS families, who seem to keep to themselves. (Insular and cliquish is probably more accurate.) But I don't think Las Vegas is a particularly friendly place in general.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:38 PM

243 posts, read 629,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
And there's a BIG, BIG, BIG difference between living around Nellis Blvd. and living around Los Feliz Blvd. The "more house for the money" is the reason my mother-in-law moved here. (My mother in law is the reason we had to move here.)

There is also the view, the lack of jet noise, the lack of freeway noise, better air quality, and having the sun at your back when commuting to and from the strip.

However, the east side is hotter than the west side. And our shopping venues are a little seedier than what they have over in Summerlin. But the east side has the Mexican markets, and that's a total bonus in my opinion.

I disagree about the "friendly" part, though. As I'm mentioned many, many times, we hardly know our neighbors. And neither does my mother in law. She's in a gated community. We're not. Both neighborhoods are full of "vacation houses" that are only occupied on Labor Day weekend. And many houses are also owned by LDS families, who seem to keep to themselves. (Insular and cliquish is probably more accurate.) But I don't think Las Vegas is a particularly friendly place in general.
Scoop, what neighborhoods, zip codes, or specific areas are you referring to other than specifically Los Feliz ave? From everything I have heard and read online, Northeast LV is a seedy area and isn't safe at all. Is this not true? I am looking to get a place that has the most bang for the buck, but don't want to have safety concerns.

Last edited by soccerscotty21; 07-09-2012 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: included Los Feliz

Old 07-09-2012, 01:08 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerscotty21 View Post
Scoop, what neighborhoods, zip codes, or specific areas are you referring to? [/u]From everything I have heard and read online, Northeast LV is a seedy area and isn't safe at all. Is this not true? I am looking to get a place that has the most bang for the buck, but don't want to have safety concerns.
Everything east of Hollywood Blvd and south of Owens. (The Baro Canyon development, if you can afford it, at the east end of Owens is where Sunrise becomes very nice.) The area around Los Feliz and Radwick is particularly interesting.

The reason people say the east side is seedy is because of Nellis Blvd and Lake Mead Blvd. And honestly, they're not great. Lake Mead is worse than Nellis, though. And in order to get to Hollywood Blvd, there's no choice but to drive through rougher neighborhoods. (It's easy to minimize risk -- just avoid Lake Mead Blvd.)

Because of the high Latino population, we do have a lot of good markets that the rest of the valley does not. I think the Latino community is one of Sunrise's strengths. But some people can't deal with that -- I've had coworkers flat-out tell me that they don't want to live anywhere near Mexicans. We also have a large Asian community here. Probably second only to the Spring Mountain area.

The Mormons are also a large presence here. The temple is just down the street from us. Perhaps 20% of the residents in our area are LDS. I think that's one of the reasons I find Sunrise to be more "aloof" than other places I've lived. The Mormons basically only want to hang out with other Mormons. I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions. But I find their community to be quite insular.

Almost all the Caucasians who aren't LDS are involved with Nellis AFB in some way -- either active duty, working on base, or retired. Mostly retired though. These are the friendly folks. Unfortunately, they live in the older developments. And we bought a newer house. So we don't have any retired airmen in our neighborhood.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gubb0007 View Post
VA or base? Makes a real difference. For either though it is likely a good idea to come in from the 215 side. Also makes a difference when as some entrances only work during some time frames.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:32 PM

243 posts, read 629,087 times
This is very interesting to me. We are looking all over the valley for the best areas, and living near the LDS temple would be great for us, as we are LDS (not the pretentious clique type tho). Would you say the areas you have mentioned would be good for my situation as laid out below:

attending UNLV (what is the commute like?)
LDS
Young family - just me, my wife, and a 9 month old
price range up to 130K
working all over the valley in clients' homes and in public places
wife will be home all day and will want to go on walks/bike rides/runs in the neighborhood
we have no problem with Latinos, in fact I love the culture (lived in Argentina for a couple years)

Our main concern is the safety of the family. I have read a lot on this forum about how safety is relative, and most places in Vegas are safe, but we are both from small towns in Utah, so anything remotely unsafe is a bit alarming to my wife and I. Thank you for your help.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
This is very interesting to me. We are looking all over the valley for the best areas, and living near the LDS temple would be great for us, as we are LDS (not the pretentious clique type tho). Would you say the areas you have mentioned would be good for my situation as laid out below:

attending UNLV (what is the commute like?)
LDS
Young family - just me, my wife, and a 9 month old
price range up to 130K
working all over the valley in clients' homes and in public places
wife will be home all day and will want to go on walks/bike rides/runs in the neighborhood
we have no problem with Latinos, in fact I love the culture (lived in Argentina for a couple years)

Our main concern is the safety of the family. I have read a lot on this forum about how safety is relative, and most places in Vegas are safe, but we are both from small towns in Utah, so anything remotely unsafe is a bit alarming to my wife and I. Thank you for your help.
It is basically a $250K upward neighborhood of large homes on half acres. As soon as you cross Hollywood to the west it starts to go bad. By Nellis it is very tough. Bad place to commute from. Long time to get from the area to any freeway and the trip is colorful. Not terrible for the strip but not good either. Head for Spring Valley..this is not a match for your circumstance.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:22 PM

57 posts, read 172,795 times
Quote:
Scotty, I'll be watching this thread. We're LDS, Canadians living in California, but there's a small chance my company will be transferring me to Vegas. We'll just be renting (don't know how long we'll be there), mostly just looking for safe and quiet, don't care about yard size (our kids are all teenagers; we'd have a senior and two sophomores, all girls). If we stay long enough, our senior could go to UNLV next year. And I'd be working on the west side, just off the 215 on Russell, between Crossroads Plaza mall and Southern Hills hospital.

(And I'm amazed that there are 22-23 stakes and over 200 congregations in the area!! We lived in Vancouver BC for a while; metro Vancouver has about the same population as the Las Vegas metropolitan area, but Vancouver has only 3 stakes and about 24 congregations.)

So yeah, we'd be looking for 3-4 br, nice area, good high school, preferably on the west side near 215, but preferably under $1000/mo. Looks like Vegas is crawling with Mormons, so wherever doesn't likely make much difference that way. %-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas