Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 03:11 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,044,201 times

Advertisements

Check your mail for the coupon. No membership required shopping at Costco from the 13th to the 15th.

Went to Costco for the first time ever today. I've been a member of Sam's Club many times but somehow Costco wasn't convenient. I wasn't all that impressed. I thought it was more expensive than Sam's. I've heard Costco was higher quality and if that's true, it COULD offset the price difference.

Here are the bargains I found. Beautiful, big, dog beds for $20. Best Foods mayo, $6.49 for 64oz. Hot dog and hamburger buns were a good deal if you could use 24. Hebrew National hot dogs were a bargain. They also had 32 packs of diet Mountain Dew and that's hard to find here. And be prepared, it's crowded! But they had a lot of cashiers/help. They seem to do better in that department than Sam's.

The meat, poultry, cheese, and fish looked really good. But it was too expensive for me.

And especially to Pink String... they had no big tuna! I was planning to get several.

If you go, allow for the crowds. It will take a while to get through the store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 04:08 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,294,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Check your mail for the coupon. No membership required shopping at Costco from the 13th to the 15th.

Went to Costco for the first time ever today. I've been a member of Sam's Club many times but somehow Costco wasn't convenient. I wasn't all that impressed. I thought it was more expensive than Sam's. I've heard Costco was higher quality and if that's true, it COULD offset the price difference.

Here are the bargains I found. Beautiful, big, dog beds for $20. Best Foods mayo, $6.49 for 64oz. Hot dog and hamburger buns were a good deal if you could use 24. Hebrew National hot dogs were a bargain. They also had 32 packs of diet Mountain Dew and that's hard to find here. And be prepared, it's crowded! But they had a lot of cashiers/help. They seem to do better in that department than Sam's.

The meat, poultry, cheese, and fish looked really good. But it was too expensive for me.

And especially to Pink String... they had no big tuna! I was planning to get several.

If you go, allow for the crowds. It will take a while to get through the store.
Last time I checked, they had the giant tuna cans at our local one on N.Decatur/215. I will have to check again next time we are there.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:11 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,294,055 times
Also, we stopped by the Henderson Costco when we were over that way a few months ago. It's old, has less of what we always have at our newer one. It didn't even have the cat litter! At least our local one has it. I just assumed all of the Costco's had the same items. Guess not.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:16 PM

727 posts, read 1,057,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Also, we stopped by the Henderson Costco when we were over that way a few months ago. It's old, has less of what we always have at our newer one. It didn't even have the cat litter! At least our local one has it. I just assumed all of the Costco's had the same items. Guess not.
You seem to be very knowledgeable on Costco. I am moving to NLV next month. What is the best Costco?

Old 07-13-2012, 04:17 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,314,489 times
If you want to shop at Costco without fighting the crowds for the free pass promotion you can; get a membership and use it as long as you want, then if you don't like it you can get a full refund from the service counter.

One reason that I love Costco is their return policy is outstanding.

Quote:
Membership: We will refund your membership fee in full at any time if you are dissatisfied.

Merchandise: We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell with a full refund. The following must be returned within 90 days of purchase for a refund: televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, touch screen tablets, MP3 players and cellular phones.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:27 PM

347 posts, read 542,665 times
Costco is better than Sams for me. I visit Sams on their free shopping promotion days every year and they are so empty it's kinda depressing. Their selections are not as good and their product placement is not as good as costco.

Costco in Vegas has 3 regular warehouses and 1 business store. The newest is the north vegas 215 one, then Summerlin, Henderson. I've been to all 3 and like Summerlin and North Vegas ones. There's not that big of a difference among them.
Most of them are the same as the other costco's i've been to in CA, OR, or WA. We are not missing out on anything.

They have good deals on staples like coffee, sugar, mayo and the sort. The wine selection is great at costco and the tire service is fantastic and easy. Free tire rotations anytime you have time. Gas is cheaper than the local gas stations.

You can also shop at Costco without a membership if you have one of their Costco gift cards bought by a member. Their food court is awesome, large combo pizza for $10 and 1.50 polish is the best in the country. People in the know all visit "Cafe 150" after they shop there.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:27 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,538,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Here are the bargains I found. Beautiful, big, dog beds for $20.

I can get giant dog beds from marshals for 14.99

Old 07-13-2012, 07:45 PM

280 posts, read 572,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I used to be a driver for Costco up in Washington. All stores get the same basic things like toilet paper, paper towels, sodas, waters, alcohol and essentials, each store gets their own trailer straight from the manufacturer full one to two times a week depending on volume. Other smaller items, including produce, meats, stuff that a store can't sell a whole trailer of in a week (like kitty litter) and non essentials get routed into a distribution center (either Mira Loma,CA or Salt Lake City,UT -- not sure which one handles the Vegas area - think its Mira Loma though) divided up amongst stores dependent on what the manager orders and sales volume and shipped out to the stores on Costco trailers. Sometimes items make the trip, if theres room on the trailer, some times it don't. One store could have one thing while another one doesn't, also one could have it one month and never again.

You used to be able to request items to be brought in from the manager, but don't know if you can still do that.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:58 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,004,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu View Post
I can get giant dog beds from marshals for 14.99
The dog beds at Marshalls are Walmart quality.... garbage.. and not as big as the one's at Costco... These are the one's at the petstores for $50+

Old 07-13-2012, 07:59 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,004,431 times
another big difference between Sams and Costco.. clothing.... Walmart vs. decent stuff.... Mens polos are under $20.. specially Cutter and Bucks... these are $60+ elsewhere... The samsclub polos fall apart in the wash...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas