Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 05:18 PM

399 posts, read 693,999 times

Advertisements

Just curious? With all the land under control of Federal Goverment, why do so many Air Force jets fly over populated areas of North Las Vegas? Couldn't their fly paths be adjusted to minimize flying over homes? Has there been any accidents with jets hitting populated areas?

The jets don't bother me in the least, I find them facinating and appreciate their service to our country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 06:10 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWNLV View Post
Just curious? With all the land under control of Federal Goverment, why do so many Air Force jets fly over populated areas of North Las Vegas? Couldn't their fly paths be adjusted to minimize flying over homes? Has there been any accidents with jets hitting populated areas?

The jets don't bother me in the least, I find them facinating and appreciate their service to our country.
There was one in 196......4....jet left Nellis flying toughly up Cheyenne Blvd....lost power, turned to go back....falling too fast...pilot spotted a wide street "Berg" turned to drop into that one....everyone ran out in the street to "Watch the plane crash" pilot turned right again to try and make a vacant lot on Harewoood and Civic Civic Center....about 12 houses before the lot his tail started clipping AC units...he was still in the plane and sitll communicating his thoughts to Nellis....he tried to move the plane into the back yards but overcorrected....lit flat in a house and took out four more before coming to rest in the 5th one....4 people died including the piot who never ONE faltered in his efforst to spare lived....

I was a part of the crew from Nellis that searched thru the houses....I formed a lot of opinions that day...1 about Winchells donuts and Kentucky Chicken who showed up with two pickup trucks full of food [FREE] for the workers and a seperate one about the Red Cross...wo showed up and Ran Winchells and Kentucky off sayin that was THEIR job....to SELL the workers food.

BUT ON TOPIC......blame the money grubbing ontractors who bought the devalued land because it was in a flight path.

Oh n B.T.W. the Air Farce takes a dim view of being called "NAVY JETS" jus sayin......

Old 07-14-2012, 07:25 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,784,470 times
The base was there long before the houses, that is why.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:42 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Watch carefully just above the mountaintops to the north after 10pm. You'll occasionally see (or at least we did when we lived at the north end of Decatur several years ago) a small, silent craft with no lights. We never saw this coming from or going to where Nellis is - it always came from/returned in the direction of "Area 51." We did see it as it flew directly overhead once, heading roughly north, as if it was coming from over downtown, although I doubt they actually took it that far south.

We called it "our UFO." We would see it pretty regularly while sitting in our backyard at night, and there's no doubt in my mind it was a (new?) drone being test piloted out of the Groom Lake facility.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:10 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Every three months, Nellis Air Force Base hosts Operation Red Flag, so you will see strange planes around there from all over the world. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Fla...ates_Air_Force)

Nellis is home to the Air Force version of the Navy Top Gun Program that everyone is familiar with from the movie. Nellis AFB was named in honor of a local WWII pilot KIA in Belgium. Nellis Air Force Base - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-14-2012, 09:41 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
There was one in 196......4....jet left Nellis flying toughly up Cheyenne Blvd....lost power, turned to go back....falling too fast...pilot spotted a wide street "Berg" turned to drop into that one....everyone ran out in the street to "Watch the plane crash" pilot turned right again to try and make a vacant lot on Harewoood and Civic Civic Center....about 12 houses before the lot his tail started clipping AC units...he was still in the plane and sitll communicating his thoughts to Nellis....he tried to move the plane into the back yards but overcorrected....lit flat in a house and took out four more before coming to rest in the 5th one....4 people died including the piot who never ONE faltered in his efforst to spare lived....

I was a part of the crew from Nellis that searched thru the houses....I formed a lot of opinions that day...1 about Winchells donuts and Kentucky Chicken who showed up with two pickup trucks full of food [FREE] for the workers and a seperate one about the Red Cross...wo showed up and Ran Winchells and Kentucky off sayin that was THEIR job....to SELL the workers food.

BUT ON TOPIC......blame the money grubbing ontractors who bought the devalued land because it was in a flight path.

Oh n B.T.W. the Air Farce takes a dim view of being called "NAVY JETS" jus sayin......
Red Cross never charges. Unless some extreme local affair it has long been RC policy never to charge.

The one exception was a small charge to US forces in Europe during WWII that was pretty much forced by the US Army.

See...snopes.com: Red Cross Charges for Assistance

Old 07-14-2012, 09:50 PM

with all due respect oc BS i was there they charged me....

Old 07-14-2012, 09:55 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
with all due respect oc BS i was there they charged me....
I stand down to one who was there. If it happened it has to have been some strange local aberration. I used to be a red cross volunteer in a prior life. The RC is nutso on the issue. Any RC professional who did that would be instantly fired. It is a sacred rule from the fallout of the WWII experience.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:44 PM

wellll at least as late as 1965 the "experience" was still there....this was not my ONLY contact with the "Red Scourge"

Old 07-15-2012, 12:23 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Red Cross never charges. Unless some extreme local affair it has long been RC policy never to charge.

The one exception was a small charge to US forces in Europe during WWII that was pretty much forced by the US Army.

See...snopes.com: Red Cross Charges for Assistance
I've had WWII soldiers tell me they had to pay for coffee in combat zones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas