Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 09:13 PM

932 posts, read 2,348,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skisickie View Post
Vegas is not the place to "relocate" it is a great place to start or to retire. JMHO
Different strokes for different folks. I didn't start here, I'm not (yet) retiring here, but I relocated here. And it was probably the best decision I've ever made. I love living here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 10:12 PM

400 posts, read 564,062 times
Highly recommend reconsidering the Vegas choice. Been here 2 years, looked at a ton of neighborhoods - it is just a strange place. The only time we see our neighbors is when they walk to the mailbox or are pulling into / out of their garage. Every once in a while there is a wave or a head-nod....that's about it. We moved to a specific area for the schools....which aren't bad, but there is no "community" - anywhere we've found anyways.

Good luck! Seriously, reconsider.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:45 PM

328 posts, read 726,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esas View Post
Highly recommend reconsidering the Vegas choice. Been here 2 years, looked at a ton of neighborhoods - it is just a strange place. The only time we see our neighbors is when they walk to the mailbox or are pulling into / out of their garage. Every once in a while there is a wave or a head-nod....that's about it. We moved to a specific area for the schools....which aren't bad, but there is no "community" - anywhere we've found anyways.

It is like that everyplace now days. Everyone now is overworked and on the computer.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:49 PM

15 posts, read 40,075 times
Quote:

I agree with esas. I lived in Vegas for 4 years and recently moved back to So Cal. The difference is unbelievable. It seems like most people in Vegas are hiding from somebody or something. It is a transient town after all. You will not find many people who have lived there for more than 10 years. There are also a lot of people who are not planning to stay there very long so they don't see the need to be friendly and make new friends. This is based on my experience living in Summerlin. Maybe other parts of town are different.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:12 AM

328 posts, read 726,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Black View Post
I agree with esas. I lived in Vegas for 4 years and recently moved back to So Cal. The difference is unbelievable. It seems like most people in Vegas are hiding from somebody or something. It is a transient town after all. You will not find many people who have lived there for more than 10 years. There are also a lot of people who are not planning to stay there very long so they don't see the need to be friendly and make new friends. This is based on my experience living in Summerlin. Maybe other parts of town are different.
So Cal. is no different.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:39 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Quote:

This is my experience exactly in Las Vegas. I come from one of the most gregarious places in the country, if not the world. There is no describing how much different it is here compared to my hometown.

First of all, people work odd hours here. It's hard to meet people when you get up at noon and come home past midnight. Compatible people who would normally be good buddies never see each other here.

Also, there are just so many "tin-foil hat" types, religious whack-job types, baked in the sun weirdos, and addicts in this town that my wife and I have what we call the "30-day test." We don't invite anyone over until we've known them for at least 30 days, and they haven't talked about meth, government signals coming through the electric meter, L. Ron Hubbard or their swingers club.

Of course, I can now RELY on MacGeek to work "meth, government signals coming through the electric meter, L. Ron Hubbard and his swingers club" into a reply.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:12 AM

762 posts, read 1,562,577 times
He is not a local

Old 07-22-2012, 07:49 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Overgeneralizing by saying "people in Vegas are not friendly" -- the same has been said, as above, about Southern California, and you'll find similar posts in the Phoenix forum. There are ALL kinds of people in both places. None of these places are like the south or parts of the Midwest, where new neighbors are greeted with a pie or a hot dish, and everyone talks to everyone in a neighborhood. There's a bit of influence from the physical structure of the neighborhoods-- no front porches, enclosed garages. It's true that for families with kids, the kids make the friendships that connect the adults. But any area is what you make of it...getting involved in special interest classes, volunteer opportunities, church activities, and connections made through work, are all ways, in Vegas or other cities, to make friends.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:46 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
The best people I've met in Las Vegas are probably those I met through a co-ed softball league. I highly recommend it for people new to the valley looking to make friends.

As far as friendly neighborhoods go, it's kind of hit or miss. People on my street tend to keep to themselves, but my ex lived in a nearby neighborhood where all the guys on the block seemed to be buddies.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:31 AM

2,724 posts, read 4,764,554 times
"We make our friends, we make our enemies, but God makes our next door neighbor."

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: