Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 11:45 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,427,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
That's not efficiency, that's capacity.

You seem to not understand that A/C units are sold with different cooling capacities, measured in tons, or BTUs per hour (one ton of cooling equals 12,000 BTU/hr). What you are suggesting is an oversized unit, which just about anyone in the business would say is bad. The problems with an oversized unit are:

1) Unit will cycle on and off too quickly, causing rapid temperature changes when unit runs. For comfort, the ideal situation is steady low flow of air that just keeps the house at the target temperature. That's why they sell multistage furnaces, so you don't get blasted by hot air when it isn't that cold outside and only a small amount of heating is needed. Multistage A/C is also available, though less common.

2) Unit will cycle on and off frequently, which means more starting and stopping of the compressor and blower motors. More start/stop cycles means earlier failure of the motors.

3) Since humidity is only removed when the unit runs, the oversized unit cannot remove as much humidity as the properly sized unit. Not an issue in this area, but in an area with high humidity, this is the most important reason to properly size a unit. An oversized unit will perform poorly at removing humidity and the homeowner will be dissatisfied with the system. This is also the reason for the more expensive multistage units; they can run with just one of the compressors at low settings for long periods of time, removing humidity without cooling the home too quickly.
I DO know they come in different sizes as you describe. I know that my system is not oversized. Beyond that, I claim no expertise in AC units whatsoever, so I'll bow out of this discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas