Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 11:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,540 times

Advertisements

My water line has been leaking over the last 2 months in the house that I'm renting. My landlord was made aware and did little to repair. The pipes finally took there toll and broke causing a water bill for 1795.00. My landlord agrees it's his fault, but want me too setup a payment arrangement with the water company. I'm willing to pay my half 75.00, but I'm not willing to setup a payment arrange in my name. After all I paying over 900.00 a month for rent. Why can't they pay the share in full also. Does anyone know if I'm obligated to setup a payment arrangement with the water company?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 11:22 AM

1,009 posts, read 4,042,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsUniquee View Post
The pipes finally took there toll and broke causing a water bill for 1795.00.
Just curious about the details . . where specifically did the pipe break and where did the water go. Was the home not occupied at the time of the breakage . . and if so, why was the water not turned off?

Old 08-06-2012, 11:24 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,012,601 times
Quote:
My water line has been leaking over the last 2 months in the house that I'm renting. My landlord was made aware and did little to repair. The pipes finally took there toll and broke causing a water bill for 1795.00. My landlord agrees it's his fault, but want me too setup a payment arrangement with the water company. I'm willing to pay my half 75.00, but I'm not willing to setup a payment arrange in my name. After all I paying over 900.00 a month for rent. Why can't they pay the share in full also. Does anyone know if I'm obligated to setup a payment arrangement with the water company?
I would tell the landlord to stuff it. No way in HELL I would put any of this bill in my name.

SNWA has a program to forgive very large water bills if the leak is repaired. Even though your landlord appears to be a total jerk, I would tell him about the program.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:57 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,720,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I would tell the landlord to stuff it. No way in HELL I would put any of this bill in my name.

SNWA has a program to forgive very large water bills if the leak is repaired. Even though your landlord appears to be a total jerk, I would tell him about the program.

Once they agree to credit your account after the leak is fixed and you show proof of the repair, the water company will want you to pay the bill in full. Only after the bill is paid the will credit you for your future water bills. Crazy policy if you ask me.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:26 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,822,396 times
As you are about to find out this one is very nasty. YOu need to talk to the water company and find out what you can do.

The nasty is that they turn off your water - not the landlords. So if you wish to stay you have to work out something with the water purveyor.

If the LL refuses to stand up and fix it you have little option but to work a settlement or move.

Which ever way it turns out you can then sue the LL in small claims court and get your costs back. The LL may not have any money though so you can end up unable to collect. That would suggest that you work out a way to stay in the home and you can get a court order allowing you to collect the sums owned from the rent you paid.

I am with Tortoise. How did it ever get that bad?

Old 08-06-2012, 08:48 PM

2,724 posts, read 4,767,836 times
Make sure you "mail" all your complaint notices to your landlord/property manager. Certified, return receipt requested. If no response is received send a second notice. If this still fails to provide a resolution send a 3rd (and final) notice.
After that it's off to court...

The first question the judge will ask is why the landlord did not act in a reasonable timeframe.

You may now introduce any damages you incurred as a result.

Your legal rights as a "tenant" are outlined here:

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/nrs/NRS-1.../NRS-118A.html

NRS 118A.290 Habitability of dwelling unit.
1. The landlord shall at all times during the tenancy maintain the dwelling unit in a habitable condition. A dwelling unit is not habitable if it violates provisions of housing or health codes concerning the health, safety, sanitation or fitness for habitation of the dwelling unit or if it substantially lacks:
(a) Effective waterproofing and weather protection of the roof and exterior walls, including windows and doors.
(b) Plumbing facilities which conformed to applicable law when installed and which are maintained in good working order.
(c) A water supply approved under applicable law, which is:
(1) Under the control of the tenant or landlord and is capable of producing hot and cold running water;
(2) Furnished to appropriate fixtures; and
(3) Connected to a sewage disposal system approved under applicable law and maintained in good working order to the extent that the system can be controlled by the landlord.
(d) Adequate heating facilities which conformed to applicable law when installed and are maintained in good working order.
(e) Electrical lighting, outlets, wiring and electrical equipment which conformed to applicable law when installed and are maintained in good working order.
(f) An adequate number of appropriate receptacles for garbage and rubbish in clean condition and good repair at the commencement of the tenancy. The landlord shall arrange for the removal of garbage and rubbish from the premises unless the parties by written agreement provide otherwise.
(g) Building, grounds, appurtenances and all other areas under the landlord’s control at the time of the commencement of the tenancy in every part clean, sanitary and reasonably free from all accumulations of debris, filth, rubbish, garbage, rodents, insects and vermin.
(h) Floors, walls, ceilings, stairways and railings maintained in good repair.
(i) Ventilating, air-conditioning and other facilities and appliances, including elevators, maintained in good repair if supplied or required to be supplied by the landlord.
2. The landlord and tenant may agree that the tenant is to perform specified repairs, maintenance tasks and minor remodeling only if:
(a) The agreement of the parties is entered into in good faith; and
(b) The agreement does not diminish the obligations of the landlord to other tenants in the premises.
3. An agreement pursuant to subsection 2 is not entered into in good faith if the landlord has a duty under subsection 1 to perform the specified repairs, maintenance tasks or minor remodeling and the tenant enters into the agreement because the landlord or his or her agent has refused to perform them.

If all else fails and you cannot get any relief you can try the local media here:

http://www.ktnv.com/youaskweinvestigate/123598949.html

GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by eventusstultorummagister; 08-06-2012 at 08:57 PM..

Old 08-06-2012, 10:09 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,822,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eventusstultorummagister View Post
Make sure you "mail" all your complaint notices to your landlord/property manager. Certified, return receipt requested. If no response is received send a second notice. If this still fails to provide a resolution send a 3rd (and final) notice.
After that it's off to court...

The first question the judge will ask is why the landlord did not act in a reasonable timeframe.

You may now introduce any damages you incurred as a result.

Your legal rights as a "tenant" are outlined here:

NRS: CHAPTER 118A - LANDLORD AND TENANT: DWELLINGS

NRS 118A.290 Habitability of dwelling unit.
1. The landlord shall at all times during the tenancy maintain the dwelling unit in a habitable condition. A dwelling unit is not habitable if it violates provisions of housing or health codes concerning the health, safety, sanitation or fitness for habitation of the dwelling unit or if it substantially lacks:
(a) Effective waterproofing and weather protection of the roof and exterior walls, including windows and doors.
(b) Plumbing facilities which conformed to applicable law when installed and which are maintained in good working order.
(c) A water supply approved under applicable law, which is:
(1) Under the control of the tenant or landlord and is capable of producing hot and cold running water;
(2) Furnished to appropriate fixtures; and
(3) Connected to a sewage disposal system approved under applicable law and maintained in good working order to the extent that the system can be controlled by the landlord.
(d) Adequate heating facilities which conformed to applicable law when installed and are maintained in good working order.
(e) Electrical lighting, outlets, wiring and electrical equipment which conformed to applicable law when installed and are maintained in good working order.
(f) An adequate number of appropriate receptacles for garbage and rubbish in clean condition and good repair at the commencement of the tenancy. The landlord shall arrange for the removal of garbage and rubbish from the premises unless the parties by written agreement provide otherwise.
(g) Building, grounds, appurtenances and all other areas under the landlord’s control at the time of the commencement of the tenancy in every part clean, sanitary and reasonably free from all accumulations of debris, filth, rubbish, garbage, rodents, insects and vermin.
(h) Floors, walls, ceilings, stairways and railings maintained in good repair.
(i) Ventilating, air-conditioning and other facilities and appliances, including elevators, maintained in good repair if supplied or required to be supplied by the landlord.
2. The landlord and tenant may agree that the tenant is to perform specified repairs, maintenance tasks and minor remodeling only if:
(a) The agreement of the parties is entered into in good faith; and
(b) The agreement does not diminish the obligations of the landlord to other tenants in the premises.
3. An agreement pursuant to subsection 2 is not entered into in good faith if the landlord has a duty under subsection 1 to perform the specified repairs, maintenance tasks or minor remodeling and the tenant enters into the agreement because the landlord or his or her agent has refused to perform them.

If all else fails and you cannot get any relief you can try the local media here:

You Ask. We Investigate: Submit A Story Idea - www.ktnv.com

GOOD LUCK!
sometimes you are so dumb...for a guy who actually has enough education to know a little latin.

The OP needs to keep the water on...short term. Longer term she can go after the landlord.

Even if OP gets a big hit on the landlord...does that turn the water on?

First things first.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:47 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,012,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
sometimes you are so dumb...
May I suggest "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie. Seriously. Please read it and execute what you learn.

If you'll promise to read it, I will BUY you a copy and mail it to you. DM me if you're willing to take me up on this offer.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:58 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,438,793 times
Quote:
$1750, half of it is not $75

Old 08-08-2012, 12:40 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,871,271 times
The highest tier for LVVWD is $4.58 per thousand gallons. So an $1800 bill is about what, 400,000 gallons? That's a pretty impressive amount of water, almost an average swimming pool every day for 30 days in a row. It's also about nine gallons per minute, every minute of the month, for one month.

I think there is a misplaced decimal point, and the OP is whining about her share of a $180 bill. Just pay it, and consider it the cost of education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas