Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 05:47 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,333,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Angry View Post
I'll start

(1) The weather, it may be hot, but it sure is nice.
OK, that's one, even though I would think an average of 70-80 degrees would suit most people better; 99 left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 06:02 PM

343 posts, read 1,608,517 times
We need a list of the best 100 things about vegas...and please don't mention gambling,
prostitution, or Liberace/Elvis sightings...thank you very much!

Old 10-22-2007, 06:20 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,415,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff View Post
OK, that's one, even though I would think an average of 70-80 degrees would suit most people better; 99 left.
i think the overall average is like 70-80, isn't it?

(not to take away from the 110+ summers, but we are talking averages, right?)

Old 10-22-2007, 06:23 PM

697 posts, read 3,279,421 times
Well Sheriff, I do not have time to banter back and forth with you about why this city is great. I will give you a few off the top of my head from my experience so far.

1. The weather- No more 40 below winters for me and I enjoyed the 100+ summers of Phoenix while I was there.
2. Shopping- the amount of shopping here is insane. If you cannot buy it in Las Vegas, you don't need it or it doesn't exist.
3. Taxes- um hello? there are none. I am keeping 89% of my paycheck compared to the 72% of it i kept in my last locale.
4. Jobs- my fiance and I were employed two weeks before we moved, and she is management at a Lake Las Vegas Resort which brings me to my next point.
5. Pay- I make 25 THOUSAND dollars a year more as a cop here then I did in my last locale. She is making 45 THOUSAND more than she did at her last job.
6. Food- The food here is amazing. Again, if it's not here, it's not worth your time.
7. Entertainment-NUFF SAID
8. This city is close to everything- I commuted 90 minutes to work in my last locale, two hours to the airport. Now I am less than 10 hours away from the best snowboarding California and Colorado offer. I am a day away from LA and Phoenix (I could make them both in the same day) Thanks to McCarren, we are no time from the world (My town didn't have an international airport so you can understand my excitement. Plus my aunt is a flight attendant so I fly for free).
9. The damn place is open 24 hours- I cannot tell you how many times in my last place I needed to go grocery shopping at 4 in the AM but couldn't. Here I can, and I do!
10. The discounts locals get are great- It is funny standing in line to go somewhere and paying half of what the guy net to you did cuz you have a NV dl.
11. Cost of living- I did the math, it costs me 30% less to live in Las Vegas than it did in my last state. 38% less than the state before that. 27% less than the state before that. 18% than the one before that. As a matter of fact, there has only been one place I have lived cheaper than LV, Boise was 6% Cheaper than LV.
12. My apartment is incredible and the veiw is amazing- It is 300 square feet larger than my last one and 600 a month cheaper.
13. Recreation- This place has it all as far as this is concerned. I ride my dirtbike in the countless acres of desert, the motocross tracks. I can mountain bike. I can hike. Hell, in 45 minutes, I can soon be snowboarding or in 3 hours, I can be in a world class ski resort.
14. Convention capital of the country- I no longer have to live out of a suitcase while attending law enforcement conventions. Over the last 4 years, all but three conventions I attended were held in Las Vegas.
15. In-N-Out
16. In-N-Out
17. In-N-Out
18. The commute is short- I live on Black Mountain and can be to work in Downtown Las Vegas in 20 minutes. No sprawling suburban commutes for us. Traffic seems to flow better here than any city this size or bigger. My fiance is at Lake Las Vegas in 15. We used to drive 60 minutes to a RTD station and then spend the next half hour on public transportation!
19.Everything is new- Where I live, there just are not many old, run down places.
20. The Natural Beauty- This area is one of the most beautiful areas i have ever lived, except Phoenix cuz it was the same.
21. The unnatural beauty- The city is full of man made beauty. The buildings on the strip to the office buildings of Henderson, they all have their own beauty.
22. Everyone comes to las Vegas- It is like traveling the world when you are out.
23. People are nice- before I moved here, everyone warned me of the rude attitudes of CalNevadans and I believed them. Well, that was crap, everyone (few exceptions) has been really nice.
24. The city is dynamic- Nothing is stale about Las Vegas, this city si constantly evolving, the construction cranes everywhere will attest to that.

The last reason for now (I have other things to do, like work).

25. I finally enjoy answering the question "Where are you from?"

The list is a quarter done. Keep it coming.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:24 PM

697 posts, read 3,279,421 times
WAIT!!!! Did I mention In-N-Out???

Old 10-22-2007, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest1230 View Post
We need a list of the best 100 things about vegas...and please don't mention gambling,
prostitution, or Liberace/Elvis sightings...thank you very much!
actually, legal gambling has to be one of them (it is a source of amusement found only in a couple places in the US)...and in my book, random elvis sightings also count as amusing, so that has to be another.

i think a listing the 100s might get to nit-picky...would we count the outdoors as one thing, or would be able to list ALL the outdoor things ('cause i bet we could get close to 100 just naming cool outdoor stuff...i've only been here about 2 months and i can hit more than 10 w/o thinknig too much)? or would we go by category (lake, mountains, desert, canyons, etc.)? would we divide that by hike/bike/drive?

it'd be like asking sheriff to list all the things he hates.....it would take 4eva!

Old 10-22-2007, 06:36 PM

ok..here are some individual things not on cj's list:

26. hole in the wall taquerias
27. ability to get NM chile
28. being able to live downtown and still have a yard w/ trees (that could actually be 3 things)
29. good dog parks
30. international, busy airport (you can get cheap tix to and from here)
31. viva las vegas
32. first friday
33. $1 tap beer 24/7 @ huntridge
34. cheaper gas than CA
35. emergence of cool local bars dwntwn (no gambling)

just off the top o the head

Old 10-22-2007, 06:36 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
woops got to renumber
(36) The sun outside my window through the trees and onto the lawns as I write this...
(37) The mockingbird serenade as i went for the paper this morning.
(38) The rabbit watching from the backyard as we showed a home today.
(39) The cat on a leash at a home arching to get his back rubbed.
(40) The miniature doberman easily eluding two animal control techs as they tried to corral him in the street yesterday morning.
(41) The glorious female wearing too few clothes and trying to shop with an overactive two year old.
(42) The nice escrow lady who calmed a concerned buyer.
(43) The Republic truck that backed up to get my garbage as I came running out with it.
(44) The lady at Albertsons who invited me to go ahead of her because I only had two items and she had a number.
(45) The guy who let me into the blocked traffic at the light on Buffalo.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:43 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,333,139 times
#1, where did you live that had a 140degree swing in temps, #2, shopping in LV is no better than any town of 2mil, #5, if you make 25k/yr more than you did elsewhere, you and your significant other must have worked for free, #6, if you like knock-off second rate eateries, you're in the right place, #7 THEcesspool is really the entertainment capital, as eight Cirque du Soleil productions are quite impressive, #8, if you live ANYWHERE in North America you are 10 hours away from the best snowboarding, #9, any town in America has Wal Marts and Vons open 24 hours, God, this is getting old.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:48 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
(46) The vast majority of us don't work for or with the sheriff. That alone is enough to make your Las Vegas day.
(47) JFK lives in upstate NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas