Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 06:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,230 times

Advertisements

I grew up in California and hated it. Then my parents moved to Montana, which to tell you was worse. I became angry and ran to vegas because I always had a love for it. I lived 7 months and couldn't make it so I'm back in Montana, but I definitely know it's a matter of time before I go home to vegas .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2019, 07:16 AM

12,908 posts, read 28,028,049 times
I only miss Vegas for a couple reasons... the proximity of stores such as Costco and Sams Club..(I’m more than 50 miles away now) and the thrift stores (I have an EBay store) quantity of items.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:10 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,684,131 times
While I wasn't living here I missed having 24 hr accessibility to many things, having a short commute, the predictable weather and lack of mosquitos.

I missed the desert.

I also missed the low taxes and cost of utilities.

Otherwise IMHO Las Vegas is just an alright place, I would probably be just as happy in any other city that offered the above listed items assuming I could find a job I enjoyed and my income vrs cost of living remained the same (I got in here a long time ago so it's cheap for me to stay).

Old 02-02-2019, 08:36 PM

307 posts, read 268,438 times
I grew up in a small town in Pennsylvania and lived in Las Vegas for 8 years, then went back to the same small town. Here are some of the changes that impacted me:

People in Pennsylvania are shallow and closed minded in comparison to Vegas. It is a place where you are judged for things like what catholic high school you went to, how many 'acres' your lot size is, what tractor you have and how many homogenized blades of tall fescue grass you can grow on your infertile land by adding thousands of dollars in fertilizer chemicals to the soil, never minding that it contributes to creating algae blooms in local creeks and streams and thus killing wild life in its path; all in the name of 'green grass'.

My neighbors in Vegas were cosmopolitan and culturally diverse people from all over the world. In Pennsylvania, my neighbors look like they are straight out of a Tim Burton movie, most neighbors here have a Golden Retriever in their house. In Vegas, my neighbors had a wide array of interesting dog breeds. In PA, it rains a lot more than it did when I grew up. We get 60 inches of rain now, so 150 days a year is spent indoors watching a swamp formulate in the yard, then I get to step in it to maintain whatever remains of my garden. I don't mind rain but this is bad now. Vegas was dry at most times, so after nearly a decade away it was a massive adjustment.

Where I live, all the farms I grew up with have been sold off to Toll and Pulte for McMansions. And they build stucco houses in PA... yes, where it snows. Vegas is good for stucco, zero maintenance. In PA, there are a lot of 'colonial' type homes, and fit right with their 'slave quarters'.

Vegas maintains roads well, PA does not. PA is full of 'pretentious' and 'farm-to-table' type snob restaurants. Vegas is laid back with no preconceived notions, it is a what you see is what you get type of place. In PA, there is no In n Out, just Wendy's, BK, McDonald's etc. It is hard to get a decent hamburger unless you go to a yuppy place, where it will surely be pretentious with 'grass fed beef on 'fresh baked brioche', etc. Sometimes you just want a good to go burger and fries! I'm sure you get the picture by now

Old 02-02-2019, 10:02 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,684,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
While I wasn't living here I missed having 24 hr accessibility to many things, having a short commute, the predictable weather and lack of mosquitos.

I missed the desert.

I also missed the low taxes and cost of utilities.

Otherwise IMHO Las Vegas is just an alright place, I would probably be just as happy in any other city that offered the above listed items assuming I could find a job I enjoyed and my income vrs cost of living remained the same (I got in here a long time ago so it's cheap for me to stay).
^^^^ Had no friggin clue I had responded to MY OWN thread written while living in TX!

Old 02-03-2019, 08:23 AM

32,968 posts, read 36,464,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sohove View Post
^^^^ had no friggin clue i had responded to my own thread written while living in tx!
lol!

Old 02-04-2019, 10:42 AM

32,968 posts, read 36,464,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswontsp View Post
I grew up in a small town in Pennsylvania and lived in Las Vegas for 8 years, then went back to the same small town. Here are some of the changes that impacted me:

snip, snip.
This post is a gem. The people in the PA forum will love it.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:01 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,904,390 times
Another thing, the 24/7 thing seems to be getting limited. I flew in a few weeks ago and flight was delayed, but realized I had forgot two things. Get to Walmart at 12:05am and its closed. Two nearby supermarkets closed too. Walgreeens has a sign about their 24/7 location, its 5 miles away. Next to the Walgreens are two fast food places, both closed for the night including drive thru. What happened to the 24 hour access everyone's touting? Why did I have to drive 6 miles out of my way to get an open store?

Old 02-04-2019, 01:22 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,193,534 times
I miss the way it used to be before it turned into what it is now that made me move away.

But other than that, No. Don't regret moving in the slightest.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:44 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,557,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Another thing, the 24/7 thing seems to be getting limited. I flew in a few weeks ago and flight was delayed, but realized I had forgot two things. Get to Walmart at 12:05am and its closed. Two nearby supermarkets closed too. Walgreeens has a sign about their 24/7 location, its 5 miles away. Next to the Walgreens are two fast food places, both closed for the night including drive thru. What happened to the 24 hour access everyone's touting? Why did I have to drive 6 miles out of my way to get an open store?
When crime becomes a problem, stores start closing earlier. It reduces potential liability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas