Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 04:25 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,362,678 times

Advertisements

I'm impressed by your post. That took a lot of time and effort to compile. Overall I think you pretty much nailed it, and I don't think the little things that you probably don't know about us are worth getting picky about. I could point out that this is the desert and there are only two or three natural trees here, and those have nearly all been destroyed in the name of progress. Regardless, they were always very few and far between until about the 80's. Las Vegans have imported so many trees it now looks like any other community from above. When I came here 48 years ago I complained that there was no shade and no birds also. But we actually have a lot of birds now. Just not a lot of different species. And, we are a vacation spot for birds traveling north in spring, and south in winter. I saw a no sh** Robin red breast the other day.

As usual, this discussion has been reduced to a talk about food; particularly Mexican food. Having lived for three years in the Mexican food capital of the U.S., the border town of Laredo, TX; and nearly three years in north central New Mexico, I know Mexican food. Although NEW MEXICO's food is a combination of Indian, Castilian Spanish, North African, American, and Mexican.

In Las Vegas there are some passable Mexican restaurants, even highly passable, but only two or three great Mexican restaurants. Frank & Fina's is one, and another one is Michọacán Gourmet Restaurant. The other Michọacán restaurants are very good too. But as has been said, Mexican food is different all over Mexico. In my little ole hometown in West Virginia we never saw a Mexican until Leo Carillo came to do a telethon. Now Mexicans, like Wiley Coyote, are all over the U.S. I ate at THE Mexican restaurant in my home town which is run by a Mexican family who seemed to speak very little English. It was the worst Mexican food I've ever had. Maybe it's a problem of ingredients.

In Laredo,TX/Nuevo Laredo, Mex., you find cabrito. Delicious. But some people may be turned off because it is six week old baby goat spread eagled on a spit cooked over a mesquite wood fire. You won't find cabrito in Las Vegas that I know of. Except on the east side of town perhaps, where there are a lot of small Hispanic, or Latino, restaurants sprouting up all over the place, since Las Vegas is now nearly 30% Hispanic. BTW: The word "Latino" is offensive to many people.

We gringos complain we can't find sopaipillas in Mexican restaurants. Could be because they aren't Mexican food, they are South American. They are actually from Africa, and came over with the Moors who tagged along with the Spanish Conquistadors, but not necessarily by choice. When I lived in Albuquerque/Santa Fe they took credit for inventing them, but I don't know about that. Could be true as far as the U.S. goes, since Spanish (and Moorish) people discovered the area in about 1542.

But I digress. Sopaipilla - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd also disagree that we have have better Italian food than Boston. We do have some good Italian food though. We felt a little nervous walking around at night in parts of Boston, but found some of the best Italian food ever there, including that fantastic bakery in the North End, Mike's Pastry.

It does get windy here because, but it's not as bad as people make it out to be. It's just that when it is windy...it is windy.

As far as there being any ghettos in Las Vegas - my wife is from Houston, and she says that our "ghettos" would be nice neighborhoods in Houston. I've seen that in other cities. Our city is pretty new as cities go. Besides, when something gets a little old here we tear it down and rebuild.

Las Vegas is built for convenience. The thing we Las Vegans notice most when we travel is how inconvenient things are everywhere else.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:40 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,346,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owelles View Post
Garduno's at the Palms has closed, replaced by one of those places that serves $18 hamburgers. No, thanks.
Sweet. Shows how often I go into the Palms.

Think I'll pass, too.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:54 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,788,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
since Las Vegas is now nearly 30% Hispanic. BTW: The word "Latino" is offensive to many people.
Actually, I believe it's the other way around.. Hispanic is what is shortened to make the other derogatory word. But then again, someone's going to be offended no matter what we say..

-Source - Puerto Rican ex-Father-in-law

Old 02-25-2013, 06:05 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,949,011 times
Nice post. I agree with most all of it. I definitely agree about the ghettos, but I am from the Detroit area...'nuff said.

As far as trees and birds, again, being from MI where it is all green and trees, especially outside of big cities, this was noticeable to me too. Since I have been here, I have noticed more and more. (I am in Centennial Hills area) I would like to notice less pigeons as they seem to love my dang pool, but I also notice tons of crows/ravens/black birds, whatever they are, and they are huge. I didn't notice many of those in MI. Not in the city areas, anyway. I do think that as the trees mature, you will see more.

This place had all sorts of species of them: Wetlands Park plus many other species of wildlife. Can't wait to go back, I loved walking around there.

Wind...yes...not a fan of it at all. Especially since the last two days were very windy and that is when you really notice how little insulation or how crappy your windows are! But, as was mentioned, it doesn't last and I would take the wind over those snow storms any day!

Can't speak of the food as I just don't put much into that...maybe I need to. As far as authentic Mexican, how about those corners where they are cooking out of their trailers? I see those in the North all the time. Sure smells awesome, although I have not stopped at one yet. There is always a huge line up at any of them that I see!

I also found the people to be much more approachable and friendly here. Especially in local stores. As far as family and friends...well that can be a good thing! But, seriously, family is the ONLY reason I would move back to MI. I would rather talk them all into moving here.

Prices of groceries and such are pretty close to MI...some lower, some higher. I would love to see a couple more options for fruit markets, but there are places that are okay, except sweet corn and tomatoes. Midwest are the best!

Old 02-25-2013, 06:11 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,808,641 times
The wind it does blow but the difference between here and Boston is the wind chill factor. If you want to really suffer Mother nature revenge be out scraping the windshield of your car at 6:00 AM have the wind blowing 10 to 20 MPH and the temp 10 degrees which then makes the wind chill between -15 to -20 below. Having 5 months of that is enough to walk to Las Vegas to live then comes summer and the temps go to 90 and the humidity is over 80% you get to sweat and wear wet clothing all day and sleeping at night is a *****. In the Boston area you can go to the ocean beach but the water temp is about 60 degrees so overall the weather in LV is much of a plus side compared to most places and the farther south you go on the east coast in the summer the worse the humidity gets.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:09 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,998,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_Eagan View Post
Actually, I believe it's the other way around.. Hispanic is what is shortened to make the other derogatory word. But then again, someone's going to be offended no matter what we say..

-Source - Puerto Rican ex-Father-in-law
Hispaniola is the island that Haiti and the Dominican Republic share. Technically, Hispanic means someone from the DR. Latino is a more correct term, geographically at least. Latin America comprises everything south of the Rio Grande.

And I believe the etymology of the pejorative you're referring to comes from variations on "I no espeek English." Play around with "espeek" and you'll see why.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:42 PM

88 posts, read 150,488 times
Hi Bamtown

I'm very new on this website (soon to be moving to Vegas with hubby) and just wanted to say, I loved your post here. I've been to Vegas a few times, hubby has been there a lot but your post was very informative and I appreciate the time it must have taken you to put in here - thank you!

Best wishes

Jessey

Old 02-25-2013, 08:51 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,298,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Hispaniola is the island that Haiti and the Dominican Republic share. Technically, Hispanic means someone from the DR. Latino is a more correct term, geographically at least. Latin America comprises everything south of the Rio Grande.

And I believe the etymology of the pejorative you're referring to comes from variations on "I no espeek English." Play around with "espeek" and you'll see why.
You may want to read this:
Hispanic and Latino Americans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-25-2013, 09:39 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,292,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamtown View Post
The weather is incredible compared to the northeast. I know it gets 100+ June - Sept in LV, but 70 degrees and sunny each day the rest of the year? I think I can live with that folks. Not to mention it's a dry heat with no humidity! The people here have no idea how lucky they are when it comes to the weather. I almost want to strangle the people on this forum that complain about having to turn on their AC during the summer. Try sweating through 90-100 degrees of heat with full humidity for four months of year and then sliding into freezing cold winters for another five months. There's nothing like waking up at the crack of dawn when it's 12 degrees outside and having to scrape your windshield clean or clear snow in the freezing cold.
The heat can be pretty miserable in May, also. It can get quite cold for days in December and January and be quite unpleasant. Sure, it is not "New England" cold but you better be prepared for it if you'll be spending a lot of time outside.

Las Vegas can be very cheap ... or very expensive depending on your ability and willingness to look for deals. But 30-60% lower, that has not been my experience.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:00 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,125,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baawstun2LV View Post
Can you (or anyone else) expand on this a bit? I did some research and Las Vegas's average wind speed was on par with Boston's so I'm curious to learn more details about your experience.

Is LV actually super windy or did you just happen to experience a windy spell during your visit? Any locals care to comment?
We are in a valley, so it gets quite windy here.

The wind is probably the thing that annoys me most about our weather. In the winter, temperatures are generally comfortable unless we've got wind, and in the summer the wind feels like a hair dryer blowing in your face at times.

From time to time, the wind can blow heavy yard furniture into your pool, or tear up your patio cover. Winds like that are pretty infrequent. Mostly, it's just annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas