Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 11:32 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times

Advertisements

It is not an assessor problem. The assessor just reports ownership and assessments.

It happened when someone transferred ownership of the condo but not the garage.

There is no tie between the two properties. These garages can be and are sold as separate transactions.

The attorney is responding to the question of fixing the ownership...which would be difficult to impossible if it went through many owners.

I referred you to the senior law center above.

I still suspect the simplest answer is to pay the back taxes and ignore the problem.

If it goes to a tax sale there is every expectation that the taxes will have to be paid and or the person with the tax lien will end up selling the place at market.

One suggestion from above is worth considering...you need to talk to your insurance agent about whether you have insurance on the garage. You may not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 03:10 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,755,587 times
My former boyfriend bought a condo, moved in and one month later, got a letter from the IRS, saying there were back taxes owed. They needed to be paid or the house would be seized.

Apparently, the Title company did not do it's homework and failed to discover the IRS had a lien on the condo.

In your case, shouldn't the Title company have researched that there were 7 years back taxes owed?

In my bf's case, they fired the title agent, because the title company had to pay the IRS/ and go after the former owner.

My bf never had to pay a dime (and maybe, neither should you) and he was able to clear it up for a clean title...

What a mess...

Old 02-27-2013, 05:06 PM

322 posts, read 565,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
In your case, shouldn't the Title company have researched that there were 7 years back taxes owed?
The title company would only have researched the legal description that he bought (the condo) and would have had no reason to research or report on a totally different parcel (the garage) that was not included in the sale/closing. My understanding is that the taxes are current on the condo.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:18 PM

5 posts, read 5,431 times
If I pay it will it ever be mine? I don't think so. It will be free and clear to the person who did not do the proper sale of the condo and garage. I started to pay it so many times just to get it out of my head but what if I ever want to sale it? I will never be able to sale the garage. It is such a masse, you can say it again. I will contact the people that you told me about. I'll get to town in a couple of days. I prayed that may be just may be someone had something like that happen or an attorney but I will go to the senior place as I'm senior and disable and for sure I don't need problems.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:09 PM

It is an unfortunate happening. It is unfortunate that you bought the place without someone spotting the problem. I would have (simply because I have sold such a place in the past) though I don't know what you could have done but not buy the place.

It is however not true that all problems are fixable. Some times the cost and difficulty exceeds the value.

suggest your best outcome may to be let the sleeping dog lie. Pay the taxes and use the garage. If, and when, you or your estate has to sell the property you can either try to clear the title or sell it with the foggy garage title.

Some problems just don't have clean solutions.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:23 PM

6,817 posts, read 11,545,464 times
Question from the peanut gallery - just because I find this thread interesting: When you buy these garage spaces, I understand they have a separate tax account, but is there a separate deed for it as well? How much are these generally worth? Could it be possible that the bank doing the foreclosing on the condo had no financial interest in the parking space? Or that the condo and parking space were originally financed with ABC Bank, and at some point owner refinanced just the condo (either intentionally or accidentally through the ol' Clerical Error) with XYZ Bank, which was a bank that did the condo foreclosure? Obciously we don't know the answers here.....but curious if any of that COULD have happened.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Question from the peanut gallery - just because I find this thread interesting: When you buy these garage spaces, I understand they have a separate tax account, but is there a separate deed for it as well? How much are these generally worth? Could it be possible that the bank doing the foreclosing on the condo had no financial interest in the parking space? Or that the condo and parking space were originally financed with ABC Bank, and at some point owner refinanced just the condo (either intentionally or accidentally through the ol' Clerical Error) with XYZ Bank, which was a bank that did the condo foreclosure? Obciously we don't know the answers here.....but curious if any of that COULD have happened.
Actually it is likely that the lender had no interest in the garage. When those deals were going down the lenders generally held a trustee deal on the condo...and not the condo and garage.

i am only familiar with two such places...and there were not a whole lot. So I may be speaking from lack of knowledge.

But I suspect much of this was clerical error. You also see it in places where a small piece next to a place was given to the next door owner. They often end up abandoned when the owner sells and forgets about the little piece.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:35 AM

5 posts, read 5,431 times
I do think it was all done in error years ago. I only wonder if the county was sending these letters in the past and the previous owner just did not act? I don't belive that the back even sold the garage as it has a different parcel# and this problem goes way before. I still pay the home owners fee on it and according to them this garde belong to this unit. I can't tell them about the problem from fear that someone will be interested in it and I can't think if I loose it some how what will they say to have a Preston totally an outsider owning it. I only wish I could fix it and Owen it out right. I would pay but so far so bad finding someone. Trying to find the owner of it also is a fear sure I'll pay her off but I'm not sure to wake up a sleepy dog. As you keep on reading my post you can tell I'm sure how hard all this for me it is taking it's tall on me. I'm an honest person and like things to be right so I'm lost with no answers. I truly appreciate you all post and help. I keep on reading them.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:37 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,951,794 times
Unfortunately this is what can happen when anyone purchases a property at a auction you assume all liabilities there's no title search . When purchasing a auction property it's a buyer beware type of thing.

Everyone thinks you get a better deal at a auction and sometimes that can be true. But with all the issues with our foreclosures and short sales why would a person by at a auction thinking that it would be a better deal. At least with a foreclosure and a short sale there is a title search involved and banks have to prove they own the property before they can sell now. And short sales well that's another story.

Lesson here never buy an auction property without the help of a proffessional.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:47 AM

1,460 posts, read 2,808,424 times
I gotta say, already repped huim out, but Lvoc is like the most helpful person on this forums. Seems to always know what he's talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: