Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 11:00 PM

16 posts, read 40,109 times

Advertisements

Hi, could someone give me advice on the schools out here. Are private schools here better than the public ones? What about the magnet schools? My son is being home schooled right now and i would like to put him back in school next year. He will be in 7th grade. He went to elementary school here, but had a kid threaten him with a knife in middle school, so i took him out so he didn't end up like the kids who just got shot at the bus stop the other day. Please let me know--thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 11:06 PM

359 posts, read 1,408,085 times
well coming from a private school and my older brother coming from a public, id have to say private is generally better. but it doesnt mean private schools are all warm and fuzzy. they still have their problems but it seems to be under control compared to public schools. as for any good schools out there im not so sure. just moved here myself and im
already in college. but i heard something about gorman ? not so sure. it might even be a high school. im sure other people will chime in

Old 12-13-2007, 08:31 AM

98 posts, read 350,105 times
Another option is a charter school. More teachers, smaller class sizes etc... Here's a link to the list on CCSD's web site: http://ccsd.net/edservices/departments/charter.html (broken link)

Old 12-13-2007, 09:43 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,124,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyojo View Post
well coming from a private school and my older brother coming from a public, id have to say private is generally better. but it doesnt mean private schools are all warm and fuzzy. they still have their problems but it seems to be under control compared to public schools. as for any good schools out there im not so sure. just moved here myself and im
already in college. but i heard something about gorman ? not so sure. it might even be a high school. im sure other people will chime in
Gorman is a Catholic High School....from what I've heard, very good and VERY expensive.....unless you're a top basetbal player then you can get a 'scholarship'......They seem to have the BEST SPORTS TEAMS that money can buy.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:37 AM

359 posts, read 1,408,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Gorman is a Catholic High School....from what I've heard, very good and VERY expensive.....unless you're a top basetbal player then you can get a 'scholarship'......They seem to have the BEST SPORTS TEAMS that money can buy.
reminds me of notre dame high back in so cal. the best sports team money can buy lol and scholarships were constantly given to football players who were to good be considered all american, they were all universe or something and they always got full rides.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:39 AM

Default thanks

we currently have our son enrolled in a charter school. It is all done at home though, and then he meets once a week with a teacher to go over his work. I just might keep him in this school, i'm too scared to send him to school here now. My daughter is in high school and i have another daughter in elementary school here too, they have been fine. I just think we are second guessing living here now. I like it here alot, the people we have met are sooo wonderful. Maybe it's just not a place to raise a family in. If only the schools were safer.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:03 AM

98 posts, read 350,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasfamily View Post
we currently have our son enrolled in a charter school. It is all done at home though, and then he meets once a week with a teacher to go over his work. I just might keep him in this school, i'm too scared to send him to school here now. My daughter is in high school and i have another daughter in elementary school here too, they have been fine. I just think we are second guessing living here now. I like it here alot, the people we have met are sooo wonderful. Maybe it's just not a place to raise a family in. If only the schools were safer.
If he is happy with it and progressing, you may want to keep him there. How does he feel about it? The only thing that I would wonder about would be is this stunting his growth socially? Does he have friends he interacts with face to face? This is an impressionable age and those types of things are just as important as the curriculum.

As far as the school's and city, I have made my choice to get my son out of here before he starts high school. There's is no way that I'm letting him go to school here anymore. This is my personal decision and there are a lot of reasons that contributed to it, my son is of course my number one priority and getting him out of here tops my list of reasons to go. So, if everything goes as planned, we're leaving in March for a small town in Colorado.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:24 AM

Default thanks so much

I'm glad some one agrees with me. I've been trying to convince my husband we need to go back home to Ohio. We have some friends that just moved to Ouray, co. from las vegas. They didn't like the schools either. Oh, he has one best friend that he sees almost every weekend, who by the way is going to this charter school too. His mom felt the same way about the middle school our sons were attending. Anyway, i feel he needs to be in school for the social aspect of it. He sees his sisters going to school and he stays home. But i felt his life was more important. The school didn't care that he was threatened. They believed the bully who of course denied it. So we took it to the police. My son is nice and quiet, he was in shock that something like this happened to him.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:30 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,124,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorryville View Post
So, if everything goes as planned, we're leaving in March for a small town in Colorado.
hmmmmmm like Littleton maybe.......

Las Vegas Highschools are NO different from ANY other highschool in the nation......there always have been, are and always will be problems in schools.... I grew up in a very small town in Colorado a million years ago and WE had problems.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:40 AM

818 posts, read 3,699,279 times
While I do respect your concern over violence in the schools, sheltering your son like that may have long term repercussions. I hope that you can find some sort of compromise that will allow him to progress socially without you having to constantly worry about his safety. Las Vegas is a little different from other places in the country, but not to the extent that a Las Vegas kid is in constant danger of harm at school while other kids in other states are not.

Good luck. It's definitely not an easy thing to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas