Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2013, 08:27 PM

31 posts, read 101,369 times

Advertisements

What I'm not asking for in this thread is home security tips. I've done enough research to know what I want. My problem is this--I'm closing escrow on a condo in a few weeks that's now protected by your typical realtor lockbox and key (if you can call that protection). I now know that there are loose keys to the unit floating around with third persons having no right to enter the premises, and know for a fact that strangers have been in and out of the place while it's been in escrow.

The unit's being purchased from a living trust. There is no living seller--just attorneys and a seller's agent. I apparently have no right to change locks until I take possession. Even if I really put the heat to the seller's agent, I'm sure the locks would be replaced with the cheapest stuff Home Depot has to offer.

My plan is to go the whole nine yards the day I take possession--Medico Ansi Grade 1 deadbolts, Strikemaster door frame reinforcers, protective film on the windows, secure window locks. In particular I have this panoramic sliding glass door opening to the common area which gives me the willies.

I know the hardware's expensive and I figure the cost is worth it. I'm not looking for more security tips. I'm not looking for a discussion of the merits of various pieces of hardware. What I'm looking for is one or more recommendations of honest and reliable locksmiths or security firms that can do this work for me at a fair price. I'm not a DIY kind of guy when it comes to this type of work.

TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 08:51 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
your instincts are good. proper change of hands of property is critical. u must change the locks when u change owners, many foolishly delegate this to others.
be there see it done and get that key yourself or give up that key yourself personally with witnesses and names.
lots of property damage and litigation comes from this foolish and clumsy mistake.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:57 AM

1,245 posts, read 1,828,943 times
Look in the yellow pages for "Locksmiths" and then google reviews of them. Unless you plan on storing $400k of gold in your condo you should be all right with any locksmith. Call them up and get estimates.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:21 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,552,974 times
Most locksmith companies should be able to provide you the service you request OP. My advice is to ask for quotes over the phone with what you want and see who can do it for you the cheapest.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:26 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Default Home Security Jitters

Multiple off topic posts deleted. Answer the OP's question with the recommendations requested, only.

I will say that the OP probably could have avoided getting the unhelpful responses if she had titled the thread differently and simply asked for the recommendations. That said, she was very clear about what she didn't need, or want.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:55 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,952,172 times
ADT has a great system that you can have a lock put on that is locked and unlocked by your cell phone, and can take a key . You can have it where you can see who is at the door before you move in. Check into it, also check into the Schlage lock system.

By the way the only person that can change locks before a sale is closed is the owner or the owners agent with permission. A buyer cannot do anything until they legally own it because anything that happens while the old owner has the property is liable not the buyer.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:30 AM

670 posts, read 1,104,796 times
BTW the remote locks you can operate with a cell phone are also available at Lowes with no monthly fee's if you don't want to hire an alarm company

Old 11-22-2013, 08:13 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,808,416 times
A good loud barking dog !!!!

Old 11-23-2013, 05:15 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdangel49 View Post
What I'm not asking for in this thread is home security tips. I've done enough research to know what I want. My problem is this--I'm closing escrow on a condo in a few weeks that's now protected by your typical realtor lockbox and key (if you can call that protection). I now know that there are loose keys to the unit floating around with third persons having no right to enter the premises, and know for a fact that strangers have been in and out of the place while it's been in escrow.

The unit's being purchased from a living trust. There is no living seller--just attorneys and a seller's agent. I apparently have no right to change locks until I take possession. Even if I really put the heat to the seller's agent, I'm sure the locks would be replaced with the cheapest stuff Home Depot has to offer.

My plan is to go the whole nine yards the day I take possession--Medico Ansi Grade 1 deadbolts, Strikemaster door frame reinforcers, protective film on the windows, secure window locks. In particular I have this panoramic sliding glass door opening to the common area which gives me the willies.

I know the hardware's expensive and I figure the cost is worth it. I'm not looking for more security tips. I'm not looking for a discussion of the merits of various pieces of hardware. What I'm looking for is one or more recommendations of honest and reliable locksmiths or security firms that can do this work for me at a fair price. I'm not a DIY kind of guy when it comes to this type of work.

TIA.

Again, please respond to what the OP is looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas