Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 06:53 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,312,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedlady View Post
Thanks for the warning. We talked about that. We figured that we would never be warming up the car in the garage as there is no need to, and could not think of any other reason for the vents. We can remove them (the boards or the explosive item(s) if any) if we change our minds. What could explode?
See page 12 for the relevant building code (pdf link)

Last edited by Danknee; 04-08-2014 at 07:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 06:56 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,795,244 times
Quote:
Thanks for the warning. We talked about that. We figured that we would never be warming up the car in the garage as there is no need to, and could not think of any other reason for the vents. We can remove them (the boards or the explosive item(s) if any) if we change our minds. What could explode?
The object is to keep heavier than air gasses from getting to the flame in the water heater. Gasoline, propane, spilled or leaking solvents could all do it.

I would leave the vents open. Not very likely. But....

Old 04-09-2014, 01:46 AM

255 posts, read 451,191 times
I see. Thank you for that info. I will have the boards removed and maybe I can just put up a finer screening to keep some of the bugs and dirt out, yet still have ventilation. The vents are close to the water heater, which is elevated about 2 feet above the rest of the garage. So that does make sense. And I have a brand new swamp cooler in storage in California that I have to go pick up.

I was in Home Depot tonight and they sell a garage door insulation kit, actually more than one brand. The guy who helped me said he used it on his garage door and it brought the heat down from something like 135 to 90 some degrees. Now I am comparing products on HD's website, so perhaps with the door insulation and swamp cooler, that may be all I need. Hope, hope. I still want to get more estimates for the attic area over the garage. Home Depot has several kinds of DIY insulation and they let you use the machines for free when you buy the insulation material, either cellulose or fiberglass, I believe. But those machines are big! I would never attempt to install the blown-in insulation myself though.

One of my neighbors recommended a handyman who lives here in our subdivision. He does work for several people here. He installed a hardwood floor that my neighbor let me in to see what a beautiful job he did. So he must be pretty good. I will talk to him about insulation and I also have other things that I need a handyman for pretty soon.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:45 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,987,956 times
Quote:

I was in Home Depot tonight and they sell a garage door insulation kit, actually more than one brand. The guy who helped me said he used it on his garage door and it brought the heat down from something like 135 to 90 some degrees.
That kit isn't going to make much of a difference. I have one. You still have a giant metal door acting as a heat sink. Insulation only slows the transfer of heat. It doesn't stop it entirely.

Depending on which way your house faces, if the sun hits that door for any length of time, it will still heat up the garage to unacceptable levels. (Insulation loses to the sun.) Then after the sun transits, that garage door insulation slows the transfer of heat -- from the garage to the outside. The insulation is counter-intuitively keeping your garage hot. (Much like a thermos full of hot coffee.)

That's why powered ventilation is so much better. I can at least keep my garage the same temperature as it is outside.

Although if I had an unfinished garage ceiling -- I would take care of that immediately. The walls and the door? Not so much. Doesn't matter. Waste of money.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:47 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,860,569 times
Quote:
... I was in Home Depot tonight and they sell a garage door insulation kit, actually more than one brand...
Which direction does your garage door face? My mom's faces the afternoon summertime sun dead-on. I put the Home Depot kit in, and that was good for maybe 15 degrees -- It is better than nothing, not expensive, so yeah, do it. But the garage is not going to be comfortable, temperature-wise, for you to work in it for more than a few minutes.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:50 AM

9 posts, read 8,607 times
I was also thinking of getting the insulation kit too. I have a 3-car garage and use the 2-car space as a woodworking shop. Last summer it was brutally hot in there. I bought a 10000btu portable AC to cool it down and it had almost zero effect: e.g. Temperature was 98, brought it down to 96 after running for over an hour.

If the garage door insulation will bring it down by 15 degrees, it will be well worth it for me...

Old 04-11-2014, 10:57 PM

255 posts, read 451,191 times
To answer Sporty and Misty's question, I am embarassed to say that I am not sure exactly which way the garage faces because the house is on an angle and the streets are winding. However, if I am standing straight in front of my garage door, which faces the street, the morning sun is up at an angle to my right. I know how stupid that sounds, believe me. So I think it's southeast. The left side of the house gets the morning sun and the back and right sides of the house gets the afternoon sun. Oh, and also there is a big tree that shades the garage most of the day. So it's not like the sun is beating down on the garage door all day. Not at all.

I went to Home Depot's website and looked at the different offerings for garage door insulation. There are quite a few, and they mostly have very good reviews. Some have photos of the reviewer's job and most say how easy it is to install. So I am not deterred from putting up the panels of insulation. They fit between the door segments. I just have to make sure of my measurements and decide which kind I want.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:40 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,343,096 times
When they talk about humidity in Florida they mean 95% almost 24/7. You'll never have that problem here.

As far as washing your own car, I think you might be fined for wasting water. I don't think that's allowed anymore - indoors or out. It would just be silly anyway to go to all that trouble to retrofit your garage.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:19 AM

76 posts, read 107,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
When they talk about humidity in Florida they mean 95% almost 24/7. You'll never have that problem here.

As far as washing your own car, I think you might be fined for wasting water. I don't think that's allowed anymore - indoors or out. It would just be silly anyway to go to all that trouble to retrofit your garage.
From the city of henderson site you are incorrect on the car washing

Washing of personal vehicles at residential properties is limited to one day per week with the use of a positive shut-off nozzle.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:31 AM

1,828 posts, read 5,312,315 times
If you do install a drain in the garage you will also have to install an oil/water separator to be legal.

Last edited by Danknee; 04-12-2014 at 12:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas