Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2014, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,465 times

Advertisements

I took my 4500 cfm master cool and bolted on an additional wet cell to the original wet cell witch gave me 16 inches of pad that the outside air is being drawn thur instead of 8 inches. I'm still using my 3/4 hp moter and at 105 degrees 15% humidity the air entering my house is 66 degrees.I live in Las Vegas and at half the cost to run than ac I would not be without one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 04:22 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,909,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohn1600 View Post
I took my 4500 cfm master cool and bolted on an additional wet cell to the original wet cell witch gave me 16 inches of pad that the outside air is being drawn thur instead of 8 inches. I'm still using my 3/4 hp moter and at 105 degrees 15% humidity the air entering my house is 66 degrees.I live in Las Vegas and at half the cost to run than ac I would not be without one.
Are you still getting good air flow with the extra thick pads?

Old 04-19-2014, 06:20 PM

687 posts, read 4,405,573 times
Quote:
If you really want cold air and lower humidity, the best way is to add an indirect precooler before the wet section. Mastercool used to have such a product and I installed the last one available in town on my neighbors house.
If you've ever ran a swamp cooler in mild weather, you will notice that the air from it will be drier. When I had the two stage setup on our house, the humidity in the house was in the 40% range, as compared to our standard garage cooler that was in the 60% range.

I would like to build a commercial duty version of this setup using a chilled water coil mounted before the wet section of the cooler and use another cooler for a cooling tower, to pump the chilled water through the coil. Precooling air and running it through 12 inch Celdek will give you output temps in the middle to high 50's on a hot dry day.

The project will be expensive though, as a custom built water coil will run in the 1,000 dollar range. I figure the whole thing would cost around 3 grand to build.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:23 PM

687 posts, read 4,405,573 times
Quote:
The problem is, your pulling wet humid air through the second pad and you cant evaporate wet air, so the second pad really isnt doing much.

A better option would be to cut a hole in the other end of the cooler and mount the extra wet section at the other end, then you have a dual inlet model and will be pulling air through both ends of the cooler at a slower rate. The slower you can pull air through a cooler, the better it works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas