Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 09:30 AM

700 posts, read 1,329,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Just curious, what would it have taken to impress you? I just ask because I had a friend say the same thing and I asked the question. She gave me an answer that sounded like I was expecting Rodeo Drive at prices I can afford.

I do not know if I was impressed, but was pleasantly surprised. It certainly wouldn't be a place I'd go to that often, but its a nice change of pace. It seemed a more browsing place than a real shopping location. I do think it will struggle a bit in summer weather.
I didnt go there to shop just to have a look. I think the buzz was so high that I had grand expectations. Having served in the military the repurposed shipping container concept didnt impress me. None of the shops had anything I wanted to buy nor did it have anything creative that impressed me. There was park in the middle that was over crowded and a stage with an open area but no one was performing. I wanted to try some tacos from the mexican joint but the line was coming out the door so perhaps that was a good place. Had a hard time trying to find a place to park and when I did the, ticket maker was broken and when I came back there was a meter maid writing tickets. I got out of there before he got to mine. All minor annoyances but not my cup of tea. Im glad to see its doing well, so much so that I forgot what was there before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 09:45 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Supposedly the dog park/kiddie park are doing very well. Along with the open area for special events(burning man). Guess what they both have in common?

Free.99
The dog park is a members-only thing, and is not free.

Members-Only Dog Park Opens Downtown - 8 News NOW

Old 06-01-2014, 10:11 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
The dog park is a members-only thing, and is not free.

Members-Only Dog Park Opens Downtown - 8 News NOW
Well, I guess the exclusive dog park will be more lucrative than the container park.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:15 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
I just looked at the website for Container Park.

I guess I'm not the target market. It seems to me most of the shops are for trendy woman's apparel, jewelry, lingerie, swim-wear and accessories.

I'm a guy & don't wear those things. Well, if I wore lingerie, I wouldn't admit it in a public forum.

There are a couple shops I'd like to visit.

There seem to be a few desert/sweets/sugar oriented shops - I can't frequent these for health reasons, and frankly given the rates of obeisity, pre-diabetes & diabetes, I think a lot of people who do frequent them are making bad decisions. Rant off - it isn't my business what they eat.

So... how does Container Park attract the fashion-forward trendy people, especially visitors who might otherwise be hung-over & soaking in the sun at Day Clubs on the Strip?

Beats me. I've never been a retail kind of guy.

Overall, it just adds to the impression that the whole downtown thing is just a monument to Tony Hsieh 's ego.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:39 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,144,915 times

Old 07-28-2015, 11:07 AM

33 posts, read 34,409 times
While I am not a fashionista, I do like eclectic, unique clothing. What is at the Container Park is probably too edgy for your customer that shops at Macys or Dillard, and too corny for someone who shops at Opening Ceremony or Fred Segals. There are other shops are art and design, but nothing memorable...which is a bad sign if you are specializing in art and design. I remember thinking there was a lot of street art oriented style, but that is not for everyone. I think the toy store is doing reasonably well, and a pawn shop extension selling used designer bags had a lot of traffic, but I have visited three times and am now bored to tears there. Even the peoplewatching - as free as entertainment that you can get - sucks. This is very glib to say, but I almost feel they should let a vagrant or two in for entertainment. I hate myself for saying that bc I want to see that area succeed and these businesses are going under left right and center.. I think the collective pricepoint of CP purchases is high for locals, which for any retail business anywhere, local traffic, promotion and purchase is key to survival. I am still optimistic though. Tourists like to check it out, which is good.

If Container Park is doing badly, we have to remember that it's half way into its second year. I feel that on one hand, it's great to have unique shops that offer something different from the chain store experience....but something feels too "twee" and corny about what is there now. Not sure if it's a gel for the culture of Las Vegas in general.

On another note, I had also gone to some of the shops over at the Arts Factory and Art Square-- I am wondering how any of them are staying in business. THEY HAVE NO TRAFFIC. WHenever I go, there is no one there except people showing up for yoga, and half the studios are always closed. Talking with a few storeowners & studio operators that I did see with open stores, they all seemed ot come back to a common consensus-- the growth downtown has to be organic, self sustaining. If Zappos - for any reason - pulls out of their location at this point, downtown is screwed. What can be done?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: